Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well here we go:

New Jurassic World Movie Coming From Original Jurassic Park Writer David Koepp

https://www.slashfilm.com/1498824/new-jurassic-world-movie-original-jurassic-park-writer-david-koepp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This series needs to go extinct

poo poo made me hate dinosaurs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

This series needs to go extinct

poo poo made me hate dinosaurs.

You should see a doctor about that, because dinosaurs are cool and good.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Well here we go:

New Jurassic World Movie Coming From Original Jurassic Park Adapter David Koepp

https://www.slashfilm.com/1498824/new-jurassic-world-movie-original-jurassic-park-writer-david-koepp/

RIP Crichton

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Reading the Making Of book from a couple years back and listening to production stories from various crew on the Jurassic Time YouTube channel, it sounds like Koepp had significantly less impact on the brilliance of the original film than one might think. Which makes sense when you look at the rest of his resume. He's done okay work here and there otherwise. If Colin Trevorrow is involved in any capacity, though, there's just no hope.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

You should see a doctor about that, because dinosaurs are cool and good.

They ruined them. Turning them into cuddly tamed animals robs them of everything they ever were.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

They ruined them. Turning them into cuddly tamed animals robs them of everything they ever were.

Aside from a single velociraptor who responds to a specific person they’re all pretty wild and untamed.

https://youtu.be/tfEs2g4ReXQ?si=wEvLO1nnrVhDcyNa

If a movie ruined an entire noun for you, I think that’s a “you” problem, not the movie’s problem.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 23, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it’s the movies problem.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also no they didnt just make the raptor a hero, they made the t-rex into a hero, and that weird freddy kreugar thing a hero. I was okay with the schlock in the first JW because it was like, hah, that's funny. But they just kept pushing it.

They were cooler as just animals. Maybe the T-Rex might show up at the end to take on the raptors, but she wasn't a hero.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

While I did enjoy all 3 JW movies, I do agree that it’s better to not make the dinosaurs heroes (although the first JP movie kinda does it a bit). In my Jurassic Park sequel idea I was floating around a decade ago, there were no “hero” dinosaurs.

Edit— well it happens a little at the end, but it’s no more egregious than the first JP movie’s ending.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 23, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just can't give less of a poo poo about any stupid goddamn hybrids. They're not dinosaurs, they're ugly, poorly-designed action figures. I like dinosaurs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re making an alien isolation JP game and I’m excited for that. Scary monster Dino’s ftw

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The logical extension is Jurassic Galaxy, so send them to space

Violator
May 15, 2003

Going to do the trendy thing and be a direct sequel to the first one and ignore the others?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is there anything to the rumours that they were going to make a JP miniseries based on the original novel? I’m tired of those Jurassic Trash, give me a 1980’s JP

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sounds like Reddit fanwank. Those type also always talk about a prestige InGen prequel series.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

feedmyleg posted:

Sounds like Reddit fanwank. Those type also always talk about a prestige InGen prequel series.
I’d watch it

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

This should be a homage to Crichton's erotic thrillers like Disclosure or Rising Sun. No references to dinos until the final episode. It wouldn't be good, but it would piss so many people off.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That idea sounds really bad. I like the idea of a reboot that sticks to the novel, though. The scene with Wu being eaten alive haunted me as a kid.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
gently caress it. Pull a Terminator Dark Fate and make it a direct sequel to the Lost World. Let's get stupid.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Not sure where else to post this, but I've discovered something interesting I can't find mention of anywhere else online.

See, I was reading through the initial 6 issue miniseries of Budd Root's Cavewoman comic from the early 90s, and it kind of seems like Jurassic World lifted the concept of the Gyrospheres directly from it?

Now obviously the concept of a vehicle shaped like a big sphere you roll around in has cropped up in pop culture before this, but "A little rolling ball-car made of transparent glass you ride around in to protect yourself from dinosaurs" is just such a specific idea I can't see this being anything but a direct reference on the movie's part?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

High Warlord Zog posted:

This should be a homage to Crichton's erotic thrillers like Disclosure or Rising Sun. No references to dinos until the final episode. It wouldn't be good, but it would piss so many people off.

Combine Timeline and JP.

Actually that's just A Sound of Thunder, a hilarious wreck of a movie.

Combining The Great Train Robbery and JP... now we're cooking with gas.

Or Jurassic Park: Congo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The current rumor is that the new film is a prequel based on the islands before the Park is built and that just sounds loving exhausting to me.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

PriorMarcus posted:

The current rumor is that the new film is a prequel based on the islands before the Park is built and that just sounds loving exhausting to me.

I wouldn't be shocked by this, but the original movie is literally "this is right before the park opens", so how much further back can they go? Are they going to cover that little cloned elephant that Hammond made?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

I wouldn't be shocked by this, but the original movie is literally "this is right before the park opens", so how much further back can they go? Are they going to cover that little cloned elephant that Hammond made?

That's my main problem with the idea. Does it turn out Alan Grant was the second choice for an expert to sign off on the park because the first expert got eaten a week early in a previously unseen adventure?

Creatively is loving sucks.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
just make a movie about the worker village, offices, and everything else I spent hours exploring in Trespasser

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A Fancy Hat posted:

Funnily enough the Topps comics from the 90s covered a little of this. Some of the inter-employee drama as the park was being set up, some other investors checking out the park and things screw up (but not to the degree of the movie), some other dinosaur incidents, etc.

There’s also a (fan fiction?) prequel novel on Amazon that covers the other islands and what Ingen was doing with them, it’d be pretty funny if the new movie cribbed from it. I have the prequel novel on my kindle but I’m only about 15% of the way into it. The writing quality isn’t the best but I’ve read worse, but it’s a pretty lengthy book.

Jurassic Park: Dead Islands https://a.co/d/aq548JH

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As a fan of the books, I can see the concept working if they leverage some of Crichton's unadapted ideas.

If they included the cut storyline from the book about dinosaurs getting off of the island onto the Costa Rican mainland, that might be enough to justify it. Have some scientists raise concerns about animals escaping, have Wu dismiss it, pull Malcolm's "the system is looking to confirm a number of animals rather than tracking the actual number of animals" bit from thr book and give it to that scientist, they go rogue, have most of the action take place on the mainland trying to contain the issue, end with them successfully covering it up.

Or even show an active Site B where they have to transfer animals to Nublar, with poo poo going wrong with the prion disease, forcing them to release the animals into the wild. And that going extremely poorly.

The Telltale side-quel game worked well in telling another story during the same timeframe. It's a bit creatively bankrupt, but I'm not opposed to it. It's one way to avoid all the lovely World baggage.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 7, 2024

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

feedmyleg posted:

As a fan of the books, I can see the concept working if they leverage some of Crichton's unadapted ideas.

If they included the cut storyline from the book about dinosaurs getting off of the island onto the Costa Rican mainland, that might be enough to justify it. Have some scientists raise concerns about animals escaping, have Wu dismiss it, pull Malcolm's "the system is looking to confirm a number of animals rather than tracking the actual number of animals" bit from thr book and give it to that scientist, they go rogue, have most of the action take place on the mainland trying to contain the issue, end with them successfully covering it up.

Or even show an active Site B where they have to transfer animals to Nublar, with poo poo going wrong with the prion disease, forcing them to release the animals into the wild. And that going extremely poorly.

The Telltale side-quel game worked well in telling another story during the same timeframe. It's a bit creatively bankrupt, but I'm not opposed to it. It's one way to avoid all the lovely World baggage.

The upcoming JP Survival first person game is going to be a movie side-quel like the Telltale game, and a couple of the Topps comics were similarly set just before and then during the events of the movie.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

What could even go wrong in a prequel.

The first film starts with a worker losing an arm and the massive shitshow that is for Ingen as they try to stop investors pulling out.

That’s clearly the worst thing that’s happened up to that point which is pretty decent going for dinosaur island.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
We follow the team setting up Jurassic Park with jumpscares as health and safety violations are committed left and right due to bringing in cheap labour who aren’t given adequate training.

The climax of the film is the worker who lost his arm receiving a much justified payout.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I probably said it before but I’d watch the hell out of a Jurassic World prequel story about the day to day runnings of the park and how many near misses (or actual incidents that involved NDAs and people being paid off) it experienced until everything went off the rails in the movie.

Chris Pratt is expensive, but just don’t include his character, set it during a timeframe when he hasn’t been hired yet. I bet Bryce Dallas Howard and BD Wong would be game.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Real Cool Catfish posted:

What could even go wrong in a prequel.

The first film starts with a worker losing an arm and the massive shitshow that is for Ingen as they try to stop investors pulling out.

That’s clearly the worst thing that’s happened up to that point which is pretty decent going for dinosaur island.

The first worker dies OP

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

ante posted:

The first worker dies OP

Absolutely zero clue how I misremembered that. Going senile.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Absolutely zero clue how I misremembered that. Going senile.

You're not misremembering it entirely. He's dead but his family is suing.

Gennaro posted:

You're telling me that we're facing a $20 million lawsuit from the family of that worker and Hammond couldn't even be bothered to see me?

Speaking of this scene, I loving love that ends by setting up Alan Grant with a weirdly foreboding musical sting and this line...

ROstagno posted:

Because he's like me. He's a digger.

It's such a great moment that sets-up this guy who digs around in the dirt as an admirable figure and it contrast beautifully with Jurassic World where the main protagonist is a former Navy Seal.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 8, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If anyone here is interested in roleplaying games, or really just Jurassic Park lore, I made a pretty extensive and elaborate tabletop roleplaying game called Jurassic Park: Edge of Chaos that I just put up on itch.io. I think it's just as much fun as a lore compendium as it is a game. Much like the Telltale game, it takes place during the events of the first movie and acts as a player-driven remix of the events of June 11, 1993.

Lemme know if self-promotion like this is gauche (didn't see anything in the rules) and I can edit, but it seems like it might be right up some of y'all's alley.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
To this day I don't know if I love or hate that the Indoraptor from Fallen Kingdom visibly smiles, takes glee in killing people, sharpens it's claws before a kill and acting like Nosferatu.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

SirDrone posted:

To this day I don't know if I love or hate that the Indoraptor from Fallen Kingdom visibly smiles, takes glee in killing people, sharpens it's claws before a kill and acting like Nosferatu.

When it smirked at the camera before attacking Ted Levine I turned to my wife and whispered "this thing's gonna talk before the end of the movie". I'm still kind of shocked it didn't, or at least that they did some weird "it has human DNA!" reveal to explain why it was such a theatrical little guy.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

When it smirked at the camera before attacking Ted Levine I turned to my wife and whispered "this thing's gonna talk before the end of the movie". I'm still kind of shocked it didn't, or at least that they did some weird "it has human DNA!" reveal to explain why it was such a theatrical little guy.

That reveal was so odd, because it was so obviously the original twist in Jurassic World with the I-Rex that reusing it in Dominion felt like course correction. It's then even weirder that the third film drops this storyline entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Have it be rated R but solely for dinosaurs gorily owning people instead of for cursing/sex.