Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This is one of those movies that is absolutely a video game movie and feels like some weird knockoff of Resident Evil 6. Also 90% of the script is video game cutscene script. Like just scene after scene of "character delivers some new information," another character responds with "Whaat?!" and then they go to/do whatever information the character said. Like it borders on self parody how many "Whaat?!"s are uttered in this movie.

Robot Style posted:

I don't know if it's just the Wikipedia plot summary being hard to follow, but does the movie actually feature an Old Testament style plague that's only stopped by the power of Abstinence, and giving birth to your own clone instead of doing that icky sex stuff?

It can definitely be read that way, we learn that Maisie (clone girl from the previous movie that Hammond's brother made) was actually made by an adult brilliant scientist version of her who had an unnamed rare genetic disorder and wanted to have a kid very badly but didn't want to pass down her genetic disorder. Also her genetics are the key to stopping a literal plague of locusts that was designed by the evil company, BIOSYN.

There's also this scene where Sam Neil and Laura Dern are wearing like decontamination outfits but with regular old surgal/N95 style masks because they're in the PLAGUE LOCUST BREEDING ROOM and at one point they just, like, taken them off? It was shot like they were repulsed at having to wear masks and like Laura Dern throws her away in disgust as they leave the area. :wtc:

Carwash oval office posted:

I did have a big smile while Chris Pratt was having a Bourne Identity style chase scene through Euro apartments and then on motorcycle against evil military raptors. It went beyond stupid and into being entertaining, IMO.

A Fancy Hat posted:

One of the worst movies I've ever seen, if only because they completely waste an interesting premise.

Dinosaurs loose in the world? You could have so many fun scenes, so many crazy setpieces. Instead they just ignore that, except for like 2 scenes, and put the majority of the dinosaur action in a hidden mountain facility that's basically just another variation of the island in the very first Jurassic Park.

There are also some really bizarre Indiana Jones and Star Wars segments. Are these just because the director wants to prove he could direct those movies, too? Who knows. The Star Wars stuff is the weirdest to me. You get guys with little alien-looking dinos hanging on their shoulders, dinosaurs fighting, a baby alien that looks like he'd fit in on Tatooine. It instantly took me out of the movie, it just did not fit at all.

The only reason to watch this movie is to enjoy the practical effects which, to be fair, are generally really good. But it's not worth watching an entire movie of dull characters, nonsensical plot twists, and references to the first movie that just instantly take you out of the film. That Barbasol can that couldn't possibly have been found after it got covered in mud and then the island blew up in the last movie? Guess what? It's back. And the main villain is going to say a line that means absolutely nothing within the context of the film, but it's from the first movie, so you'll love it, right?

I can't emphasize enough how much every plot beat and the general progression of this movie is like a kid-friendly version of Resident Evil 6 in so many ways, even the vehicle chase feels like a game cutscene with QTEs instead of a single coherent chase scene.

Also like, this movie opens up with Chris Pratt/Bryce Dallas Howard/the clone kid living in an extremely isolated cold snowy environment with a bunch of dinosaurs. And I know irl there were some dinosaurs that were cool (heh) in colder environments but this is like brontosaurs and Blue the raptor and poo poo.

Acting-wise the girl who plays Maisie and BD Wong were pretty good, Sam Neil and Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum were fun though the former had a lot of hilariously half-baked dialogue to struggle through. Everyone else was on some degree of "fine" to "actively not giving a poo poo".

A lot of the effects were pretty good but also a large chunk of the dino action is either in these very monochromatic or very dark environs.

I can confidently add this to the list of flicks that suck rear end, but would have at least been fun if they were rated R. This movie introduces a newly designed dinosaur called atrociraptors. They way they work is you point a special laser site at someone, and they lock onto that person's scent and chase them down to kill them forever. Like they realized in real time while filming like, oops, how do we accidentally wrote our lengthy raptor chasing our heroes scene in a dense urban environment. Like I wish this movie was directed by Antonio Margheriti or such with like half the budget, because everything else about is absolutely dumb as poo poo.

There's a brief moment where the head of the evil dino smuggling operations, attacks Bryce Dallas Howard, and there's this part where she slashes at her with a blade a couple of times. It's this POV shot meant to be menacing of her getting in your face and slashing at you. It is incredibly unintentionally hilarious because she's clearly, like still five or six feet away from Bryce Dallas Howard at this point. Very video game enemy again.

The Bee posted:

I feel like the bazaar scene was the most cool and unique part of the movie, and was bummed when we shifted from a world colored by dinosaurs to Yet Another loving Island Research Facility.

Same, every time the movie kind of sort of began to go into the territory of "dinosaurs live alongside modern humanity" there's a chase scene away from that entire aspect of the story. Like there's dinosaur action in the movie (and I did like that they even had some feathered dinosaurs) but the movie is absolutely 100% not about dinosaurs, dinosaurs are just a side thing/dangerous obstacle in the way of the plague locust/clone/etc. plot. An impressive feat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's a bit unfair to judge it by a low res, blown out YouTube clip. It looks even worse in the actual movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I did like how the Dimetrodon roars sounded vaguely human-like (since they're distantly related to us).

Oh yeah aren't dimetrodons not even technically dinosaurs/predate a lot of them by some time?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

man nurse posted:

I mean I think there's very little argument that the first three movies are a definite case of "the sequel isn't as good, the third one is even worse". But I did find them entertaining on some level, 2 in particular.

I'm curious if when the first Jurassic World came out, did people see it as being superior to 2 or 3? Like was the mood "this is a good franchise revival" at any point? Because I have vague memories of that being the case. Sounds like they thoroughly poo poo the bed in terms of any goodwill that movie brought to the franchise with its sequels, though.

I remember hating 2 when it came out and being surprised how much I liked it when I saw it again more recently, fun stuff.

Jurrassic World had massive pre-release hype and I liked it. Like it wasn't particularly bad/amazing but you could tell effort was put into it and it has some cool dino action. Fallen Kingdom felt like a wet fart, and the entire third act was like, I don't know. If they wanted to introduce that stuff they should have opened with the park destruction and just made that the whole movie.

Dominion is straight up busted dogshit. And on top of it all they jumped through a lot of hoops to have a scenario where the dinosaurs are all in this massive artificial woodland area to try to evoke the original films. I don't know about its production but it feels like a maximum level of meddling happened or something because it feels like four different scripts mashed together. Plus the huge cast really hurts it.

The ONLY good thing about Dominion is that it feels unintentional that half the dialogue of the movie is someone going "WHAT?!" after someone tells them something about dinosaurs or the evil company BIOSYN.

The only other "good" part is the part where the rich dino dealer who owns the atrociraptors (raptors bread to hunt down and murder a person once they get their scent no matter what - felt like a convoluted way to explain why there can be a dinosaur car chase in an urban area) attacks Bryce Dallas Howard and there's this POV shot of her thrusting/slashing her knife at Howard and it made me laugh for a long time because the way it was shot made it seems like she was like 10 feet away from her.

Also the dimetrodons being crazy cheap looking lol

Christ what a shitpile of a flick. And like The Bee said it's made worse because there's individual ideas/whatever going on that are cool?

I think I posted this earlier but this sixth Jurassic Park movie is literally exactly Resident Evil 6 in how it's structured. So while it is a terrible film to me I do genuinely think it's worth watching to see what a failure it is.

Also Dr. Wu made a faceturn between films and I kind of wish they just made him or that dinosaur smuggler pilot woman the main character of the movie instead of the old guard.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 14, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Violator posted:

Was the nanny's death in JW worse than Richard Schiff in Lost World?

They're about equal for different reasons but I give an edge to Schiff because the entire situation leading up to it feels way more personally apocalyptic and brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Have it be rated R but solely for dinosaurs gorily owning people instead of for cursing/sex.