Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Thread necromancy, but the official JW YouTube channel posted this and it’s rad as hell.

https://youtu.be/tfEs2g4ReXQ

I would watch the poo poo out of a found-footage movie that’s just a montage of dino encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I loved the one where the compsognathus steals the camera and runs off with it, and the one with the spooky allosaurus in the dark forest that totally murdered the cameraman.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I thought it was neat to see a dinosaur theme park operating, even if it was brief.

It’s this. I’ve wanted that since the first movie. Way back in 2012 I floated an idea on some JP fan forums called “Return to Jurassic Park” that was exactly that, and people kept saying “it would never work, we’ll never see that in a movie”.

Looks like I got the last laugh lmao

Maybe I’ll post up my idea and see what you guys think.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timby posted:

The only thing that hasn't been adapted, basically, is Gennaro and a drunken Muldoon shooting at dinosaurs with a bazooka.

My Return to JP idea included that, drunkenly taunting Raptors at a fence, and Dodgson’s death from The Lost World novel where he gets pushed out from under a car and eaten.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well here we go:

New Jurassic World Movie Coming From Original Jurassic Park Writer David Koepp

https://www.slashfilm.com/1498824/new-jurassic-world-movie-original-jurassic-park-writer-david-koepp/

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

This series needs to go extinct

poo poo made me hate dinosaurs.

You should see a doctor about that, because dinosaurs are cool and good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

They ruined them. Turning them into cuddly tamed animals robs them of everything they ever were.

Aside from a single velociraptor who responds to a specific person they’re all pretty wild and untamed.

https://youtu.be/tfEs2g4ReXQ?si=wEvLO1nnrVhDcyNa

If a movie ruined an entire noun for you, I think that’s a “you” problem, not the movie’s problem.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 23, 2024

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

While I did enjoy all 3 JW movies, I do agree that it’s better to not make the dinosaurs heroes (although the first JP movie kinda does it a bit). In my Jurassic Park sequel idea I was floating around a decade ago, there were no “hero” dinosaurs.

Edit— well it happens a little at the end, but it’s no more egregious than the first JP movie’s ending.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 23, 2024

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

feedmyleg posted:

Sounds like Reddit fanwank. Those type also always talk about a prestige InGen prequel series.
I’d watch it

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A Fancy Hat posted:

I wouldn't be shocked by this, but the original movie is literally "this is right before the park opens", so how much further back can they go? Are they going to cover that little cloned elephant that Hammond made?

Funnily enough the Topps comics from the 90s covered a little of this. Some of the inter-employee drama as the park was being set up, some other investors checking out the park and things screw up (but not to the degree of the movie), some other dinosaur incidents, etc.

There’s also a (fan fiction?) prequel novel on Amazon that covers the other islands and what Ingen was doing with them, it’d be pretty funny if the new movie cribbed from it. I have the prequel novel on my kindle but I’m only about 15% of the way into it. The writing quality isn’t the best but I’ve read worse, but it’s a pretty lengthy book.

Jurassic Park: Dead Islands https://a.co/d/aq548JH

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

feedmyleg posted:

As a fan of the books, I can see the concept working if they leverage some of Crichton's unadapted ideas.

If they included the cut storyline from the book about dinosaurs getting off of the island onto the Costa Rican mainland, that might be enough to justify it. Have some scientists raise concerns about animals escaping, have Wu dismiss it, pull Malcolm's "the system is looking to confirm a number of animals rather than tracking the actual number of animals" bit from thr book and give it to that scientist, they go rogue, have most of the action take place on the mainland trying to contain the issue, end with them successfully covering it up.

Or even show an active Site B where they have to transfer animals to Nublar, with poo poo going wrong with the prion disease, forcing them to release the animals into the wild. And that going extremely poorly.

The Telltale side-quel game worked well in telling another story during the same timeframe. It's a bit creatively bankrupt, but I'm not opposed to it. It's one way to avoid all the lovely World baggage.

The upcoming JP Survival first person game is going to be a movie side-quel like the Telltale game, and a couple of the Topps comics were similarly set just before and then during the events of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I probably said it before but I’d watch the hell out of a Jurassic World prequel story about the day to day runnings of the park and how many near misses (or actual incidents that involved NDAs and people being paid off) it experienced until everything went off the rails in the movie.

Chris Pratt is expensive, but just don’t include his character, set it during a timeframe when he hasn’t been hired yet. I bet Bryce Dallas Howard and BD Wong would be game.