Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Spiders are cool as gently caress, I think everyone agrees on that. Let's check out some of my favorite ones!

Say you're some stupid idiot bug walking around the forest floor, looking for some bird poo poo to eat or something, not looking up at all, when all of a sudden, WHAM, the Ogre Face spider just cast a net of butt web right on top of you! Your day is officially ruined now.

Hello friends, I'm a brown spider! I get a bad rep because I'm highly venomous but gently caress, recluse is in my name. Don't gently caress with me and I won't gently caress with you, I'll even eat all the lovely bugs you have in your house. Just. . .you know. . .turn over those old shoes and give them a tap on the bottom before you put them on, I'll leave. But yeah, I can kind of gently caress you up if I do bite you

Check it out, it's the wolf spider! These guys are silly fast, that's why they have racing stripes. They have a great sense of humor too as they will show up where you least expect and scare the piss out of you, but they are harmless. HA HA!

The Orb Weaver spider is dope. They are harmless as well but when they are born they hide and watch you, studying you, analyzing you so they can perfectly build their webs where you'll run into them with your stupid loving face.

HA! It's not a REAL spider friends, do not be frightened. This is a spider crab and it lives in the ocean and your nightmares!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009
Spiders are great! One of my favorite type of animal. Here's some photos I've taken!

Wolf spiders are awesome and are all over the place. They have large, forward-facing eyes with binocular vision and hunt by sight. Since they're night hunters, they also have quite good night vision. If you shine a flashlight in a grassy field you can see their eyes shining back at you. They can be quite spooky!

Thankfully, they're tiny and harmless and honestly pretty chill. Even the large ones can be picked up barehanded without any issue.

Jumping spiders, much like wolf spiders, hunt by sight, and are very attentive and curious to things going on around them. They're tiny and come in like thousands of different colors. I have dozens of low quality photos taken over the years, and every one I've encountered looked completely different.

Harvestmen spiders are not spiders, but they are cousins! Contrary to some urban legends, they are not incredibly venomous with fangs "too small" to bite. They have no venom, and in fact are typically scavengers. Here's some I found chewing on a dead cricket!

Here's a lovely lady I worked with volunteering at the Smithsonian. She's a Chilean Rose-Haired Tarantula, and a real sweetheart. Tarantulas come in lots of colors too!

Also at the same museum are Vinegaroons, known as "whip-scorpions" despite not being scorpions. They're arachnids as well, and can spray ascetic acid (AKA vinegar) from their rear if you make them mad!

And my absolute favorite animal of all time, another arachnid known as the Amblypigid. Common names include "cave spider" and "tailless whip-scorpion" despite being neither spider nor scorpion!

Their "arms" are modified pedipalps, mouthparts that are used for grabbing on to prey. Their "whips" are actually a pair of legs that have changed in function from legs to, essentially, antennae. They are bizarre and beautiful and I love them.

Here's a video I took of what I can only assume is a male trying to get a female's attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUAxBpdf1p4

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

How can you post about the ogre faced spider and not post its ogre face

There's also the Portia spider, which is a jumper that's specialized in hunting spiders. They use different techniques on different species, shaking things up and keeping what works. That's a level of intelligence and learning that's pretty weird in a tiny arthropod
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UDtlvZGmHYk

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

Greetings friends! I am a super rare Cerbalus Aravaenis that lives in the desert around Isreal. HA HA you probably won't see me for too much longer because of mining operations taking over my environment, but it was nice to meet you anyway.

I am a cobalt tarantula and you just sit there and gaze at my beauty you pleebs

It's me! The famous huntsman spider! You goons may remember me as clock spider. I am an absolute unit but do not fear, I am a friendly, harmless spider that lives in Australia with the criminals.

Hey gently caress faces, I'm the Brazilian wandering spider and I don't give a gently caress. I am 2 things if nothing; extremely venomous and extremely aggressive, so if I see you jerk offs strolling around my hood I won't hesitate to run you down, bite your rear end, and give you a painful boner for 4 hours.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I saw this lil' guy on my car the other day and took a couple.of pics of him. While I was trying to get a better shot of his face he jumped off the car, landed on my hand, and then jumped back. Yes I shrieked like a tiny baby.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

There are a lot of us Orb Weaver spiders, I am a nephilia pelipes which is latin for 'sexy long legs' I want to hug your entire face with them.

I am another orb weaver called golden silk spider. My colors are better than the other ones and I have awesome hairy segments on my legs. I won't tell you what that's for though, it's a secret teehee.

There are many kinds of wolf spiders too, I am one of the most photogenic of them all.

Spiders are in ART too! These dumb spiders will not catch any tasty people with those webs up that high though.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I am a cobalt tarantula and you just sit there and gaze at my beauty you pleebs

That's not a cobalt blue(C. Lividus), that's a gooty sapphire ornamental (P. Metallica)! This is a cobalt blue tarantula:

Cobalt blues are fossorial, meaning they dig deep burrows and rarely come out of them and are found in Southeast Asia. They're also incredibly bad tempered. P. Metallica are arboreal and live in a tiny range of forest in India. They're more prone to running away than biting, and are lightning fast and excellent climbers. Both species pack a hell of a wallop in their bites, and while it won't kill you it'll make you seriously regret trying to poke the pretty blue spider.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

Mr. Vile posted:

That's not a cobalt blue(C. Lividus), that's a gooty sapphire ornamental (P. Metallica)! This is a cobalt blue tarantula:

Cobalt blues are fossorial, meaning they dig deep burrows and rarely come out of them and are found in Southeast Asia. They're also incredibly bad tempered. P. Metallica are arboreal and live in a tiny range of forest in India. They're more prone to running away than biting, and are lightning fast and excellent climbers. Both species pack a hell of a wallop in their bites, and while it won't kill you it'll make you seriously regret trying to poke the pretty blue spider.

Google has LIED to me again! Thank you for the correction.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I got bit by a brown boi a few years ago and had a little necrotic wound on my leg for months, it loving ruled and I’m still mad at my friends for not agreeing.

Not cool pictures tho, I hope he’s off doing fun spider things or w/e

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Phiddipus Audax, the Bold Jumping Spider!

A huge (for a jumping spider) critter that I see frequently in new england. Has tons of personality, can do "tricks" like following laser pointer dots and has actual short term memory which is extremely rare in arthropods(they can remember that prey went around a corner and follow them over a dozen seconds later, that sort of thing), and I have seen them straight up tackle yellowjackets out of midair, wrestling them to the ground and killing them without getting stung. Insane badasses, and also won't stand for some lovely idiot human like me trying to carefully move them off a sidewalk, no, instead of running away, the little badass dove at my hand and bit my finger! I'm literally thousands of times your size, but gently caress that, those gorgeous metallic green chompers are also for predator dissuasion and they decided I'm tryin' to eat'em.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Spiders are cute and I love them

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there was one of those super gangly fellas with legs 2 inches long each and a body the size of a pinhead just hanging out on my bathroom floor. I went to pick it up and chuck it outside rather than kill it, and it tore off one of its legs to distract me while it tried to run away. :(

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

I got bit by a brown boi a few years ago and had a little necrotic wound on my leg for months, it loving ruled and I’m still mad at my friends for not agreeing.

Not cool pictures tho, I hope he’s off doing fun spider things or w/e

That DOES rule! Get new friends. I like reading sites about brown spiders, and they are like "Brown spiders can grow to be the size of a quarter" uh uh motherfuckers you need to do some more field tests because I got brown spiders in my house RIGHT NOW that easily cover a half dollar. I've had some approach the size of a Copenhagen can lid.

Captain Invictus posted:

there was one of those super gangly fellas with legs 2 inches long each and a body the size of a pinhead just hanging out on my bathroom floor. I went to pick it up and chuck it outside rather than kill it, and it tore off one of its legs to distract me while it tried to run away. :(

Was it Harvester spider (daddy long legs)?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nope, an actual spider, not a fake non-spider like a harvestman

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Another chilean rose hair. Both a beautiful creature and an excellent starter spider if you want to have an eight-legged friend in your own home. One you invited, not the ones all around you that go in your mouth at night.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What are more neon coloured bullshit spiders? I want more neon coloured bullshit.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Captain Invictus posted:

Nope, an actual spider, not a fake non-spider like a harvestman

Probably a cellar spider (Pholcidae). They have some pretty interesting behaviours, like vibrating into invisibility on their webs when disturbed and flinging silk at prey to entangle it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Another chilean rose hair. Both a beautiful creature and an excellent starter spider if you want to have an eight-legged friend in your own home. One you invited, not the ones all around you that go in your mouth at night.

Aww. I had one for years, her name was Ziggy Stardust. She was incredibly sweet and very docile, I could just scoop her up and put her on mychest when I was sitting at my desk and she'd barely move

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Croccers posted:

What are more neon coloured bullshit spiders? I want more neon coloured bullshit.

I present to you sparklemuffin:

No really that's the actual name

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I present to you sparklemuffin:

No really that's the actual name

I see the rumours of Australia only having scary monster spiders are false.

You did fail to mention its new cousin Skeletorus though, that guy sounds scary.

aaaaah, spooky

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Jul 3, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love that the video debuting the peacock spider was by this fella, the one who discovered it. super amateur video but that's what I like about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgAbyYDFeg

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
🌈🌈

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

This spider says trans rights

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

It was previously mentioned, but go out into your yard at night in the summer with a flashlight. Turn the flashlight on and hold it directly over the top of your head and scan around your yard. Most of those tiny little reflections are spider eyes gazing back at you!

bone napoleon
May 9, 2012

there is nothing
Terrifying if true.

I really like spiderwebs because of their geometry and insect-catching power, they're like nature's bugzapper.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

bone napoleon posted:

Terrifying if true.

Try it out, my son learned it in boy scouts. Something about how the light has to come from the top of your head shows the spiders' eyes. Don't remember the scientific reasoning so I just say it's sorcery.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I tried the flashlight thing once, and accidently shone it into the eyes of family of raccoons.
Sorry, you innocent wash bears.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I learned not too long ago that many spiders only walk forward well so it’s easy to just put down a cup (or in my case one of those little plastic boxes with a snap-top lid) and they’ll walk right in with gentle encouragement. Had a hunting spider this past week do some evasive maneuvers first, he was a quick one!

I get lynx spiders (bright green with neat red and white patterns) and spiny/crab spiders (the spiky oval fellas) around my front yard all the time and they’re lovely, even when I walk out to work in the morning and I get a piece of web to the face.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I learned not too long ago that many spiders only walk forward well so it’s easy to just put down a cup (or in my case one of those little plastic boxes with a snap-top lid) and they’ll walk right in with gentle encouragement. Had a hunting spider this past week do some evasive maneuvers first, he was a quick one!

I get lynx spiders (bright green with neat red and white patterns) and spiny/crab spiders (the spiky oval fellas) around my front yard all the time and they’re lovely, even when I walk out to work in the morning and I get a piece of web to the face.

It's really easy to coax em into a cup and also funny because they look so disgruntled and co fused when you do

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I do not tolerate spiders except for some reason those little furry jumping spiders don't bother me at all. One was crawling up my leg last week and I just coaxed him into my hand and put him by the window. Any other spider and I would have freaked the gently caress out.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

AcidCat posted:

I do not tolerate spiders except for some reason those little furry jumping spiders don't bother me at all. One was crawling up my leg last week and I just coaxed him into my hand and put him by the window. Any other spider and I would have freaked the gently caress out.

I have learned not to smash spiders on sight but a few months ago I was on the couch and saw something out of the corner of my eye running across the floor and thought “oh great, I’ve got a mouse in my house” but it was a huge brown spider. It ran off under the couch or something and I forgot about it until the thing decided to climb up on the couch I was laying on and run up my legs toward my face

Was sitting at the park the other day and this very persistent jumping spider decided my pant leg was a good place to hang out. I tried spooking him (her?) by poking my finger at it and it just hopped onto to my finger

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
jumping spiders are the cats of the arachnid world

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

This jumping spider, who was admiring the engagement ring I had just given my wife (then fiancee) is my favorite. It's a screenshot from a video that was taken on a phone 7 years ago, so quality's not great.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I found a brown spider in the sink this morning. I washed her down the drain because my daughter would have lost her poo poo if she had found it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

AcidCat posted:

Jumping spiders are very intelligent (for spiders) and naturally curious. They are sweet little babies and just want to crawl on the big weird thing

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Hell yeah, spider parkour!

AcidCat posted:

Hello, me. Meet the real me. :rock:

I think it must have something to do with their fuzziness and maybe also the distinctness of their features. I've never seen a jumping spider in real life so there's no way for me to know how distinct their features actually are, but pictures of them are adorable, with their fuzzy little faces & their big round eyes.

If I saw one in real life, I'm pretty sure I would have the same reaction as you, whereas if I saw a cellar spider crawling up my leg I'd saw my leg off at the hip. :shrug:

Cat Hassler posted:

I have learned not to smash spiders on sight but a few months ago I was on the couch and saw something out of the corner of my eye running across the floor and thought “oh great, I’ve got a mouse in my house” but it was a huge brown spider. It ran off under the couch or something and I forgot about it until the thing decided to climb up on the couch I was laying on and run up my legs toward my face

:stonk:

quote:

Was sitting at the park the other day and this very persistent jumping spider decided my pant leg was a good place to hang out. I tried spooking him (her?) by poking my finger at it and it just hopped onto to my finger

This is extremely adorable. :kimchi:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I think it must have something to do with their fuzziness and maybe also the distinctness of their features. I've never seen a jumping spider in real life so there's no way for me to know how distinct their features actually are, but pictures of them are adorable, with their fuzzy little faces & their big round eyes.

If I saw one in real life, I'm pretty sure I would have the same reaction as you, whereas if I saw a cellar spider crawling up my leg I'd saw my leg off at the hip. :shrug:

One has been living on my windowsill for the past month or so, keeping the summer gnats out of my room.
In return, I give her a bottlecap of water every few days.
We've got a good relationship.

Edit: I've tried to take a picture of her, but she's quick and shy, and I respect that.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

The Mighty Moltres posted:

One has been living on my windowsill for the past month or so, keeping the summer gnats out of my room.
In return, I give her a bottlecap of water every few days.
We've got a good relationship.

Edit: I've tried to take a picture of her, but she's quick and shy, and I respect that.

I'm pretty sure there's at least one spider living between one of my curtains & one of my windows, and I'm too afraid to look. It and/or its people does its thing, I do my thing, we have an uneasy peace.

Out of curiosity, how do you ascertain a spider's sex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Depends on the species, things like colour and size can be dead giveaways if you know what it is. Otherwise it's tough.

In most tarantulas the girls are all-round bulkier, and the guys have big pedipalps for their smaller body size so they look kinda like boxers. They also get hooks on their legs to help them not get murdered during sex :D. Or that's what I was taught, idk if it's true for all tarantulas.