Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Hello Graydons - I have a friend going through a rough patch and looking for “getting swept away” in a story. I kind of want to recommend A Succession of Bad Days, but do you think skipping the first book would be too detrimental? I know the kind of stuff she likes and I think the style would put her off. Plus she could do with more optimism and love than horrible carnage and demon things right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

head58 posted:

Hello Graydons - I have a friend going through a rough patch and looking for “getting swept away” in a story. I kind of want to recommend A Succession of Bad Days, but do you think skipping the first book would be too detrimental? I know the kind of stuff she likes and I think the style would put her off. Plus she could do with more optimism and love than horrible carnage and demon things right now.

That should be fine. The books are largely standalone anyways - everything you need to know is covered again if it becomes relevant. It might even work better if you don't realize Dove is a badass until Edgar discovers that.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

might have to go back and read #1 at some point before either 3 or 4? but i def think you could start with 2, given that a bunch of things the reader knows nothing about just happened off-camera and the main character also literally knows nothing about any of it

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

To be fair 1 benefits from (re-)reading after having read the others. It's fun the first time through, but you have a much better idea what's going on after having read the rest.

Yeah I'd say let your friend loose on 2.

Anyone know how Graydon's going on further books? It's been a few years now since the last one. I'll be sad if he abandons the series. But also I get how much work went into it, so wouldn't blame him if it's become too much.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Anyone know how Graydon's going on further books?
Well, he hasn't a single peep about them on any of his social media accounts nor blog since he nuked the mailing list. I think he's still mad about it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Anyone know how Graydon's going on further books? It's been a few years now since the last one. I'll be sad if he abandons the series. But also I get how much work went into it, so wouldn't blame him if it's become too much.

Tough to tell since the mailing list died (thanks, Larry). His blog and mastodon are mostly Covid / climate doomer posting, which is not a hopeful sign.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

To be fair 1 benefits from (re-)reading after having read the others. It's fun the first time through, but you have a much better idea what's going on after having read the rest.

Yeah I'd say let your friend loose on 2.

Definitely have them read 1 before going on to 4/5, I’d say, but I think they’d be okay starting at 2. (Or honestly maybe have them read 1, but start at the post-March part, basically treating the creation of the second Commonweal as a prologue to book 2.)

As to progress, last update is a comment on his blog from early this year saying “It's finding the time beyond the requirements of necessity to get much writing done that has challenged me this past few years. I would like to believe that situation is improving, but I've thought that before. So, alas, time will tell, and little else might hope to.”

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Kalman posted:

As to progress, last update is a comment on his blog from early this year saying “It's finding the time beyond the requirements of necessity to get much writing done that has challenged me this past few years. I would like to believe that situation is improving, but I've thought that before. So, alas, time will tell, and little else might hope to.”

He really does have a distinctive voice, here and in the novels

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Slyphic posted:

Well, he hasn't a single peep about them on any of his social media accounts nor blog since he nuked the mailing list. I think he's still mad about it.

We emailed about it afterwards, and I don't think he was mad, exactly. I think he's just very busy and since he writes in his spare time, he hasn't had much time to work on it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

AMOGAS was 2020, right?

ain't bad at all for how big and how weird the books are. i know this is a hobby for him but also it seems like the kind of thing he will not be quitting any time soon, i have faith

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

So ... Laurel. I think someone in the sci fi thread described them as having performed an experiment to knock down the local wizard lords. But it seems like they had a much bigger design in mind. Did they create the Shape? They must have, to have bound the defeated sorcerers as Independents. So they quite intentionally set up the Commonweal, and likely just as intentionally recognized that they would represent an existential threat to that system if they hung around. If they could make the Shape, they might be able to break or subvert it.

So they headed off into the world, with a horde of Graul, but there's no indication of their activities outside the Commonweal, which you might expect if they were stomping around with a wizard-destroying army.

But we know Laurel is happy to sit on a mountain for hundreds of years in contemplation. And the Graul can hide and go dormant.

Is Laurel hanging out somewhere nearby, waiting for a moment to reappear if necessary?

I feel like the narrative so far has set things up for a reappearance.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Also, what was the wizard Laurel? "There wasn't much [they] didn't know about necromancy", but they also used Ed's entelech-style weeding trick of time-slicing to defeat The Twelve, but they were also a master enchanter. In the world's magical system, individual wizards only get one, maybe two flavours of Talent. Was Laurel a hive-mind like the polycule? Some sort of god?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

So ... Laurel. I think someone in the sci fi thread described them as having performed an experiment to knock down the local wizard lords. But it seems like they had a much bigger design in mind. Did they create the Shape? They must have, to have bound the defeated sorcerers as Independents. So they quite intentionally set up the Commonweal, and likely just as intentionally recognized that they would represent an existential threat to that system if they hung around. If they could make the Shape, they might be able to break or subvert it.

So they headed off into the world, with a horde of Graul, but there's no indication of their activities outside the Commonweal, which you might expect if they were stomping around with a wizard-destroying army.

But we know Laurel is happy to sit on a mountain for hundreds of years in contemplation. And the Graul can hide and go dormant.

Is Laurel hanging out somewhere nearby, waiting for a moment to reappear if necessary?

I feel like the narrative so far has set things up for a reappearance.

As I recall Laurel didn't bind the original Independents to the Shape of the Peace, I'm not even sure she made the Peace, I think that might have been Ongen. Here's a quote from The March North:

quote:

Halt sounds nearly smug. “Look what Laurel did, as a natural enchanter of notable but not exceptional talent. The first standard-bindings, and your own species, Captain, before the Hard Road; five hundred years, and more to come. Blossom is seven times the enchanter Laurel was and Blossom is young, and much better educated.”

Halt doesn't name the Peace as one of Laurel's creations. Here's a quote from A Succession of Bad Days where Blossom (along with Halt) is talking to the kids about Laurel as a lesson about what persistence and experimentation gets you over brilliance and raw power:

quote:

“All the early Commonweal history says the Foremost marched for Laurel, only then Laurel didn’t assume control of the conquered territories, Laurel went away, no one knows where, with the people who’d been the Foremost. Only they’d never have called themselves that, that’s what they were called after the Shape of Peace got made and the Line came into existence and wanted an example. Only there’s almost forty years in there, and the Twelve were overcome by the Foremost. So what was going on, while everybody was arguing about setting up Parliament?”

It sort of implies that a lot of stuff came after Laurel bailed elsewhere in that text. The people left behind Laurel's conquest made the decisions that there would be no slaves and Ongen helped them shape something that would make it possible. Then the Parliament unzipped all of the thirty or so sorcerers that had been defeated by Laurel and asked them if they were willing to be part of what they built. Those that disagreed, perished. Those that agreed and passed the Shape became the Twelve.

I suppose Laurel might be out there, but that sort of dramatic reveal doesn't seem consistent with Saunders' style to me. I think she's pretty much gone from the stories, even if she's not gone from the world of the Commonweal.

Also, what was the wizard Laurel? "There wasn't much [they] didn't know about necromancy", but they also used Ed's entelech-style weeding trick of time-slicing to defeat The Twelve, but they were also a master enchanter. In the world's magical system, individual wizards only get one, maybe two flavours of Talent. Was Laurel a hive-mind like the polycule? Some sort of god?

Laurel was definitely an enchanter, maybe a minor necromancy flavor? Again, like I quoted above, Laurel's an example of what careful study and extensive preparation can get you over native talent and brilliance. She spent almost a thousand years figuring out the battle standards, the Hard Road, and the graul (including the time to breed enough of them), which implies tremendously inhuman patience in figuring things out, when necessary. Broadly speaking, I think Laurel is a metaphor about what Saunders' believes about the difference between "brilliance" and "studying hard and expending extended effort."

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Also, while you only have 1-2 talent flavors, that doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t *use* other types of Power. Flavors are a description of what comes most naturally, but you can learn beyond your flavor. So while Laurel was an enchanter, they could still use necromancy, life magery, etc.

(Also, we do know that Laurel was around when the Peace was established. In AMOGAS, in the chapter written from the viewpoint of the Shape, Ongen states “in the Year of the Peace Established 23” and the Shape notes that was five years after Laurel departed. But Ongen also says that the first Shape wasn’t “of Laurel’s making”, though they might have been involved in its design.)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I recall Laurel doing all that conquering so they'd be left in peace while doing their experimenting, but then realizing that they absolutely did not want to deal with the hassle of maintaining an empire so they hosed off somewhere to get back to what they considered important work. I think one character mentions that Laurel is probably off on a lonely mountaintop somewhere.

Laurel is also part of the reason why people talk about Enchanters hitting you with 1000 years - they've had all that time to create stuff to whack you with.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

The Line makes the point that the goal isn't Victory, it's Victory and Enough Left In the Tank to Win Next Time Too. Which is why the big fight in AMoGaS ends with a non-nuclear winter from all the megatons of hot red shot used that wipes out the Commonweal's harvest that year and makes the next year's harvest poor.

ohhhhhhhhhh I never put that together, I honestly just thought they had a couple bad years.

also my favorite scene in the books is when in book 4 or 5 they meet the lost ophidian graul and manage to find one of two non-graul people who could talk to them, a library clerk who picked up graul as a hobby, and then what follows is a very dispassionate account by Slow of a whole bunch of people doing their absolute level best to remember that graul are people and gaping their 2 meter jaws at you so they can look at you better is just how they do things and god dammit we are in the peace and it would be rude to be freaked out

also my favorite throwaway line is when a non-character sorceror dies off camera and the answer to what happened to him is "the fourth crusher"

Benagain fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 26, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oh yeah! That was the dude who died and took a book with them - they'd memorized the book but never created a hardcopy because there was no place to store it.

The dryness of how some things are described are a very Graydon-esque thing.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Finding this thread and the off-site Let’s Read threads makes me want to dive in again which is stupid cause I JUST REREAD THESE!!

If I do, I might do a Let’s Read here, since the off-site threads never made it past 1/2 way through book 3

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

navyjack posted:

If I do, I might do a Let’s Read here, since the off-site threads never made it past 1/2 way through book 3

:justpost:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Recruit anyone else who talks about these boos to come here

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Recruit anyone else who talks about these boos to come here

I will do it by talking about them endlessly in the sci-fi thread, using the dozens of accounts that I, Graydon Saunders, use to boost my books (available on Google Play!!)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

navyjack posted:

Finding this thread and the off-site Let’s Read threads makes me want to dive in again which is stupid cause I JUST REREAD THESE!!

Do it you coward

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Benagain posted:

Do it you coward

:emptyquote:

Also make sure to link the thread here so we know to follow it

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If you, Graydon Saunders, author of the Commonweal series, make a Let's Read, then I, Graydon Saunders, author of the Commonweal series, will read along with you (me)

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

And I, Graydon Saunders, will read along with the other Graydons Saunders.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Benagain posted:

Do it you coward

If I do it’ll be after the holidays. And I will be certain to link here so all the Graydon Saunders’ can follow along.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
note to self: same

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Welp, Graydon has taken the position on Covid that no one should ever be going outside without a respirator until Covid has been extirpated entirely, so... maybe he'll have more time to write since he clearly won't be getting out much?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

habeasdorkus posted:

Welp, Graydon has taken the position on Covid that no one should ever be going outside without a respirator until Covid has been extirpated entirely, so... maybe he'll have more time to write since he clearly won't be getting out much?

You’d like to think so, but doomscrolling the news takes up more time than you think (plus he’s got a real job which I think keeps him fairly busy).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, true. Plus, who's going to read our books since apparently we're all going to have long Covid and thus won't be capable of reading what he puts out.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

:same:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

All

Expedient

Means :hist101:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I was gripped by an awful urge to remix some of the Commonweal Independents as Grimdark Sorcerers. It just wouldn't leave me alone, so, well, here it is. Can you tell which Independent was the inspiration?

Magic will give you just as many mutually contradictory laws as you are witless enough to seek. For this reason and many others, young wizards are trained by one of the Mighty. An aspiring sorcerer's teacher does not define everything about them, but they do shape them. Often in ways they don't realize until long after.

This tale focuses on an apprentice of which of the Mighty?

The Endless
The Endless's students never forget the first time they saw it. Him. It. No matter how hard or how often they try. Most believe the Endless got his cognomen because of the endless armies of the dead he commands, and find comfort in this misapprehension.

The Healer
She once extracted a man's brain and regrew him a body from his brain alone - that being easier than curing him of the parasitic magic that had infested him. In another time and place she'd have been feared as a wicked queen who's beauty lured men and women to their deaths. In this time, those she taught have saved the world twice over and not nearly enough. Though she freely teaches all who come to her, only her apprentice knows her secrets.

The Liar
The merely mortal can be mistaken for thinking the Liar is the most plain and honest man they've ever seen. He works hard to keep it that way. But even under the influence of his silver tongue the concept of "good" shies from his presence. Among the least successful of his lies was persuading metal to melt and a field of flowers to feast on the armies of his enemies.

The Greatest
The Greatest is unmatched in power even among the mighty. Were any two of them sane, they would not contest her will. It is often said that the only equal to her might is her ruthlessness. It is the salvation of the world that her ruthlessness is applied first and most fully to herself. It is the damnation of the world that she did not stop there.

The Valorous
The dearest ambition of the Valorous is to punch dragons. Preferably plural. Thanks to his efforts; the young now believe dragons to be nothing more than myths. Lacking dragons, he has a tendency to get bored. A terrible, terrible tendency.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 13, 2023

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Wake, Grue, Rust, Halt, Block ?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
The thing that’s great about the commonweal is that it doesn’t need remixing to make the independents grimdark because the books say “what does it look like for these dark legends out of time to work for a society”

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

LLSix posted:

The Healer
She once extracted a man's brain and regrew him a body from his brain alone - that being easier than curing him of the parasitic magic that had infested him. In another time and place she'd have been feared as a wicked queen who's beauty lured men and women to their deaths. In this time, those she taught have saved the world twice over and not nearly enough. Though she freely teaches all who come to her, only her apprentice knows her secrets.

Like the only thing that is remixed about this description of grue is that it leaves out the actual incredibly scary thing they did lol the rest is literal text. Marrying this with working to better others is one of the two Things the last four books are About

Also sorry I do think it’s cool that you did this I just figured it’s worth mentioning

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

fritz posted:

Wake, Grue, Rust, Halt, Block ?

You got them all right!

Phobeste posted:

The thing that’s great about the commonweal is that it doesn’t need remixing to make the independents grimdark because the books say “what does it look like for these dark legends out of time to work for a society”

Yeah, that's fair.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Just finished up the second book. Boy howdy I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds the prose to be sort of impenetrable at times.

Very excited to read the rest of them though.

Book 2 spoiler question:
Is there any real further explanation as to what an entelech actually -is-? Like some sort of extra-dimensional mind parasite or something?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I think it does get discussed more, you're more or less correct - an entelech is an extremely powerful being that pops into the world by consuming the power and personality of the person it's gotten attached to. This has been in the past universally fatal for either the hatching entelech or, more commonly, their beloved. It's not common for an entelech to remain sane after hatching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Bishop Beo posted:

Just finished up the second book. Boy howdy I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds the prose to be sort of impenetrable at times.

Very excited to read the rest of them though.

Book 2 spoiler question:
Is there any real further explanation as to what an entelech actually -is-? Like some sort of extra-dimensional mind parasite or something?

You got it correctly. Also, Halt is one.