Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It's me, I'm the mutant who liked the canal building and didn't care for the polycule's drama. I'm pretty sure I have an Ed intolerance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Decided to reread March North to kill time at work, which'll be my first time since completing the rest of the series.

A) The Captain really is up to some poo poo the whole time, huh?

B) I was struck by the use of "guys" and "grandma," and I'm struggling to think of a generic but gendered noun coming up in the rest of the series.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Now that I'm not late-night posting, on reread the Captain is clued into a lot more than you might initially suspect, even in comparison to the Independents, and Graydon's feeding us a hell of a lot more info than initial appearances would suggest as a direct result of their perspective. It's cute and neat.

Larry Parrish posted:

I like to think that the Standard-Captain is just kind of a weirdo for that, or it's not actually a Commonweal cultural thing to avoid gendering people and it's just a Creeks thing, and the refugees have picked up on it.

Although the real answer is that hadn't been quite worked out, I bet.

You are most likely right, but there's just a hint of possibility that maybe there is something going on here, and I can't totally discount that option due to the nature of the series.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

i just like that as far as im aware it's fundamentally alien for the most part to any real cultures norms on this stuff. i like that kind of ordinary foreignness to my fantasy and scifi.

Yeah, it rules and it's one of the best things about this series.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

1. They definitely have a regimented medium of exchange, but I don't think we ever really see literal coinage trade hands. As I recall, you're getting wages of a sort when you labor, or else someone's done a crime to you. I believe that credit goes directly to the geseth and then you're debited out for things like room and board, which you get just for being alive, and then everything else you use on top of that, like land, time on a forge, tools, luxury items and so on. There are definitely taxes and fines. I can't say if the sworn clerks are literally bound to the Peace like magicians, but it wouldn't surprise me, since they seem to be the ones keeping track of all of the notional means of exchange beyond "here's thirty bricks, please make me a saw."

One of the other things to think about is that while the Commonweal operates on a sort of program of basic income in kind, that doesn't meant here's not hard limits on the amount of labor or resources available. Like in TMN, Halt setting up the glass factory for canning jars was something that she could do efficiently that nobody else in the Creeks could manage, and saved a lot of people from starvation over the winter. Cheap and efficient can be literal, not just measured in currency cost.

2. The Power likes to cause trouble, especially if you're constantly using it, and also everyone has access to it to at least a limited degree. Halt or Blossom could probably manage it, but it's assumed if Bob down at the bakery coop, who's a pretty dab hand with rudimentary thermodynamics, kept flying everywhere he would eventually detonate spectacularly while running errands, or something worse that takes someone else with him.

It might also attract attention from outside the borders that nobody wants, and also also might just be impolite to folks who aren't juiced up enough to fly.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Kynefrid's one of the blue folks that has to consume methanol, isn't he?

Zora and Ed are somewhere on the more traditional body plan, I think.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

You will need a tolerance for commas, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

eke out posted:

no idea when the next book comes out but it might legitimately be the fantasy novel i anticipate more than anything else

particularly because, if past is any indication, he's going to make a hard turn and it'll be about something radically different than the two extensive military-focused ones we got most recently

I'm gonna read the poo poo out of adventures in Halt's cannery.