Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

The Line makes the point that the goal isn't Victory, it's Victory and Enough Left In the Tank to Win Next Time Too. Which is why the big fight in AMoGaS ends with a non-nuclear winter from all the megatons of hot red shot used that wipes out the Commonweal's harvest that year and makes the next year's harvest poor.

ohhhhhhhhhh I never put that together, I honestly just thought they had a couple bad years.

also my favorite scene in the books is when in book 4 or 5 they meet the lost ophidian graul and manage to find one of two non-graul people who could talk to them, a library clerk who picked up graul as a hobby, and then what follows is a very dispassionate account by Slow of a whole bunch of people doing their absolute level best to remember that graul are people and gaping their 2 meter jaws at you so they can look at you better is just how they do things and god dammit we are in the peace and it would be rude to be freaked out

also my favorite throwaway line is when a non-character sorceror dies off camera and the answer to what happened to him is "the fourth crusher"

Benagain fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

navyjack posted:

Finding this thread and the off-site Let’s Read threads makes me want to dive in again which is stupid cause I JUST REREAD THESE!!

If I do, I might do a Let’s Read here, since the off-site threads never made it past 1/2 way through book 3

Do it you coward