Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

LLSix posted:

That section of the book is confusing because it contains experts speculating about a new-to-them-phenomena on insufficient data.

If I remember right, they revise their estimates of how long it would have taken down later in the book (on the theory that people are more afraid than they assumed during this discussion).

OTOH, from the Commonwealth's perspective, it still looks like Reems has been slowly losing a war (and in the process running through an awful lot of pre-eminent sorcerers) for a long time. Especially when you consider that all the wizard fights we see last somewhere between a few seconds and a few days at most.

One point of consideration is that many of the wizard fights we get to see are short by necessity. They must drive back and crush their enemies with overwhelming force quickly or the whole Peace fails, etc etc. It may be different in other places that do more of the constant war and enslaving of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Demon_Corsair posted:

I can't tell if I don't understand the scale of everything in these books or if the author doesn't understand metric.

Are creeks supposed to be 10-15 feet tall? He describes at 7 meter canoe being able to be used as a roof to comfortably sleep two, and 7 meters is about 21 ft.

All the wildlife seems to be gigantic as well. A 10 foot long duck would be terrifying even if it's not on fire.

I almost get the feeling that the ducks are basically dinosaurs. Just vaguely related to ducks. I'm fact, I can't help but think of a lot of the creatures as being some sort of "sorcerers modified creatures to be more frightens prehistoric, because that is easier than creating a completely new history"

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude
Thread has motivated me to start another read through, it's always wild to see what newly makes sense... And what still doesn't. There are turns of phrase in here that leave me scratching my head. A "unique author voice" is the start of the description, but a ways from it's finish.