Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Please be kind to all Graydon Saunderses from this point forward. Thanks all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, to be clear, people can repost anything from the old thread that is NOT from the google group discussion. If it's from the books or your own head you're good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Slyphic posted:

I find the prospect of having to retroactively redact spoilers sufficiently annoying to dissuade me from posting.

My wife has joined a few semi-open mystery pre-reader groups which are mildly analogous but always sufficiently standalone or simple that it's easy to just not blurt the short bullet point list of whodunit and the big duh-duh-DUN sentences.

Finding things isn't my concern, it's the stuff I can't find because it's not in the text, and I can't remember if I figured it out myself, or Graydon spelled it out.

I'm not worried about offending Graydon and making him take his ball home, there's not much degree past scorched earth. But the OP says what it says.

I want to reread AMoGaS and discuss it freely like the google group used to allow.

Yeah, I'm not sure how to handle the "I remember stuff from the Google Group" issue. I'd prefer to remain courteous to Graydon's preferences but I also don't want to police everyone's memories.

Generally speaking since at this point nothing can be directly sourced with a link any more, we're just going by people's memories of what the discussions in the group might have been, right? That seems close enough to just speculation that it might not be too much of a harm.

I think at least for now my policy is gonna be "don't post direct quotes from the Google Group discussion (if you have them in your email inbox still or whatever) but general comments or theorizing is fine". Use spoiler tags I guess? I mean, I don't have a full index of what was discussed in the google group, so I don't have a good way of even checking to know whether something someone's posting is their own speculation, speculation based on the google group, or a direct quote from the google group.

If Graydon would prefer me to handle it a different way, I guess I hope he lets me know? I don't know how to police this without locking down all discussion, and that seems impractical and futile.

I'll say this: any reports I get on this thread, where the problem is "someone posted something from the Google Group," at worst I'll just edit the offending bits out of the post, I'm not going to issue probations over that kind of thing, it's not a violation of a rule of this forum.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 5, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
There's no way to buy a physical copy of these books, is there? i'd like to gift them to people.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kestral posted:

Ye])

Oh! One thing I hope he'd be fine with coming up in discussion are his book recommendations, since it has nothing to do with the Commonweal directly. I copied them down to read later, so I could post them here if we feel that's acceptable. How do we feel as a thread / mods about that?

I don't see how that would be a problem. If it is graydon can tell us / me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Oh loving lol.

Like, AFAICT Graydon is pretty goony, and I would not be surprised if he had a mostly-inactive forums account from the early 2000s, but just lol at Cardiac's post.

I've been assuming he's at least peripherally around here since, you know, he saw the post here that made him nuke his own forum. Sorry for that again man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Recruit anyone else who talks about these boos to come here