Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This slander...we need to bring back proscriptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the reputation isn't unfounded; octavian tended to fair poorly when forced to do the generalling himself and prefered to let Agrippa or Antony do it (for example, at Phillipi, he wasn't participating in the battle at all).

He was certainly ballsy on a political level and had no trouble devising extremely bold plans, but he didn't seem to have much of a stomach for leading the troops into battle, perhaps because he wasn't particularly good at it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Iirc he charged a fortification at some point, fell and broke his leg. I remember reading that in goldsworthys book but I'm not at home to check

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd believe it, I don't have an encyclopedic memory of the battles he participated in

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Jay Rust posted:

Not gonna lie, I’m glad he’s dead

But Zuckerberg is still alive

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh yeah it's august now

huh

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I'm 12 hours into Nier Replicant after remembering I only got up to ending C back when I was playing the original release, and this game feels a lot more hopeful in its sadness than I remember it being back during its original release.

Maybe it's because I'm not in my twenties anymore or some of the changes in the world shifting my perspective, but even the ending of the lighthouse lady sidequest was just more moving than sad because even among all the world's struggle and fear it got me dwelling how life was going on regardless. It was a nice moment and I think its a game that rewards and I think even nudges the player towards just trying to exist in the world a bit.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 1, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jay Rust posted:

Not gonna lie, I’m glad he’s dead

How's it going, Livia?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Redezga posted:

I'm 12 hours into Nier Replicant after remembering I only got up to ending C back when I was playing the original release, and this game feels a lot more hopeful in its sadness than I remember it being back during its original release.

Maybe it's because I'm not in my twenties anymore or some of the changes in the world shifting my perspective, but even the ending of the lighthouse lady sidequest was just more moving than sad because even among all the world's struggle and fear it got me dwelling how life was going on regardless. It was a nice moment and I think its a game that rewards and I think even nudges the player towards just trying to exist in the world a bit.

ya i agree, maybe it's because i haven't played any drakengards but i don't really get where these games got the reputation of being full of hopelessness and suffering

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
klonoa on the other hand,

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk, the fundamental premise of Replicant is basically a war where no one is either unambiguously right or wrong, if you’re at C Route iirc that should be enough to see why people might think it’s a bleak game because it’s the point where you can understand Shades which, umm, is a real depressing time and recontextualises stuff like them dropping coloring books

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looper posted:

klonoa on the other hand,

Wahoo!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

PunkBoy posted:

That's awesome. I wish companies would upload old footage like that. It's fascinating to see early builds of stuff.

One of my favorite Giant Bomb shows is Game Tapes, where they just watch footage of old events and sometimes B-roll marketing reels gamespot was given back in the day

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looks like it's up to me to hit the ol' Reset button on the games forums console

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008874

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

this is probably the best advice a video game has ever given me

thanks no man's sky, i'll try

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Posting in the REAL games chat thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames