Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Looper posted:

ya it looks pretty sick tbh

all the arcsys fighters look incredible stylistically but i've realized i just straight up do not have the time to master fighting game combos and the yomi needed to win when i'm already grinding out league and FFXIV as it is

i might be convinced to try SF6 or the riot fighter with simplified control schemes but probably not any of the arcsys stuff, at least not for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Thought it was a multiplayer mod for that Duke Nukem Forever prototype that came out a few months ago. Shows how much I know

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

poo poo, I just read about the Stardew Valley patch for FF14 coming this August. Guess it's a good thing every other game got delayed after all

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

will not be taking any questions

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hatty posted:

Thought it was a multiplayer mod for that Duke Nukem Forever prototype that came out a few months ago. Shows how much I know

dungeon fighter online (DNF) isn't a term that comes up a lot in the western netsphere so it's an easy miss. it's basically maple story but in the format of a 2D beat 'em up

it's on the periphery in NA and EU but it is gobsmackingly popular in asia, to the point that, at least a few years ago, it was beating out fortnight and league for total online game revenue

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The most hosed up waifu tier list in a while

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Vermain posted:

dungeon fighter online (DNF) isn't a term that comes up a lot in the western netsphere so it's an easy miss. it's basically maple story but in the format of a 2D beat 'em up

it's on the periphery in NA and EU but it is gobsmackingly popular in asia, to the point that, at least a few years ago, it was beating out fortnight and league for total online game revenue

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

It's at 18 billion, which is pretty nuts when everything else on the list is a franchise and this is practically a single game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DNF Duel seems to have relatively simple basic execution (all attacks are a single button or direction+button, with a handful of universal commands that are two buttons) but I can see the combo-heavy nature of things plus the faster pace of "anime game" being tricky.

Tekken remains more my speed but I did want to get the experience of being on the ground floor of a fighting game lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

I played my first game of mahjong, I have no idea what is happening

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rarity posted:

FF14:

I played my first game of mahjong, I have no idea what is happening

this is every game of mahjong i watch ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAkUFHP1iUg

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Riichi Mahjong is pretty hard to learn, definitely look up guides on the net and have a list of yaku nearby

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Watch akagi*

*It won't teach you mahjong

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There used to be a good online app for learning but unfortunately it was Flash. It's not that bad and the yaku list is easier once you realize a lot of the yaku are variants or inverses of other hands, or are just incidental cases like "win on first discard round after declaring riichi"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What the gently caress is this Leap of Faith thing loving hell

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

it stands for Dungeon & Fighter

it's pretty good

The 7th Guest posted:

nice they finally added Sol Badguy to smash

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

kirby is far too low

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sakurai add Bedman to smash

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Torn between playing Higurashi or GTA

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Just about done with Hyper Light Dorito- got me interested in how Hyper Light Breaker (a 3D sequel to the top-down 2D Drifter) is gonna shake out

Love the combat but I'm still having problems chasing dashes properly and wish the timing wasn't so strict- but I guess that would be way too powerful in combat and any traversal puzzle I've seen that needs it has been optional anyways

The sword charge move feels great to properly space out and totally nail some fool with- also v helpful with some of the big slow HP wall enemies

I know it's a pretty highly regarded game but it took a while to really hook me for some reason

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The damned snail in the Cuphead DLC got me good. I’ve gotten real bad at this game again after my break

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gaius Marius posted:

Torn between playing Higurashi or GTA

COOKING MAMA I SWEAR TO loving GOD SAKURAI

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

hatty posted:

The damned snail in the Cuphead DLC got me good. I’ve gotten real bad at this game again after my break

I’m trying to get my last A rank in the base game and getting super tilted

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:.

Oh Triple Triad... forbidden lover, secret mother... it's been too long...

Er, that is to say that I've had a look round the Gold Saucer and there's some very fun things going on and I'm well up for going deep on the card game and opening up chocobo races. The minion thing looks a bit overcomplicated but I'll give it a shot I suppose. Anyway I went back to the main story and it turns out I'm just about to go into my first dungeon! Seagrot here I come!! :hellyeah:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rarity posted:

FF14:.

Oh Triple Triad... forbidden lover, secret mother... it's been too long...

Er, that is to say that I've had a look round the Gold Saucer and there's some very fun things going on and I'm well up for going deep on the card game and opening up chocobo races. The minion thing looks a bit overcomplicated but I'll give it a shot I suppose. Anyway I went back to the main story and it turns out I'm just about to go into my first dungeon! Seagrot here I come!! :hellyeah:

Lords of Verminion's a bit neglected, sadly, but it's a good way to get some cheap MGP once you get a certain number of halfway-decent minions under your belt. Good luck in Sastasha!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought Lord of Verminion was whatever as a game but the theme is a bop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hEnT4jYUss

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
How long to do FF14 dungeons take to complete? I want to know how much time I need to set aside for it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rarity posted:

How long to do FF14 dungeons take to complete? I want to know how much time I need to set aside for it

Varies depending on the type of dungeon, but most non-max level dungeons take somewhere in the 20-30 minute range depending on how skilled and geared your group is.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't tried the trust system with the ARR dungeons, do the NPC buddies kill enemies as slow as the Shadowbringer/Endwalker ones

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm on the last boss of the Cuphead DLC, probably won't be able to finish tonight since I have work in the morning, but while the DLC is still good, they rely way too much on the challenge of the fight just being "there's too much poo poo on the screen". Like even just one less thing would be fine, but every fight has to have a million things flying around you at all times and it ends up feeling like the bosses don't really have many mechanics compared to just... things... flying around them.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The 7th Guest posted:

That means only one thing...BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The 7th Guest posted:

Why is Master Chief in there twice? On two different tiers?!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Rarity posted:

Why is Master Chief in there twice? On two different tiers?!

That’s Kirby

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I haven't tried the trust system with the ARR dungeons, do the NPC buddies kill enemies as slow as the Shadowbringer/Endwalker ones

I just tried them in sastasha and they were ok, definitely slower than real players but they didn’t mind me looking around the pirate area

Speaking of, they got rid of non-boss dungeon enemies giving xp? Any reason why?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Speaking of, they got rid of non-boss dungeon enemies giving xp? Any reason why?

Mostly to just deal with a few edge cases where either farming early packs and then resetting was more optimal than finishing the dungeon, or where there was some weird perverse incentives like Aurum Vale where waiting around for the seeds to spawn new morbols was better EXP than killing the seeds outright. All the old EXP got crammed into the total you get for killing the boss, so it should be net neutral.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

It stands for Dungeon fighteN onlinF

Real answer is Dungeon & Fighter or Dungeon 'n' Fighter. It's inspired by the old Dungeons & Dragons arcade games that were RPG beat em ups with unique characters and skills and stuff. But they obviously can't call their game Dungeon & Dragon so....

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Unless they do something stupid like charge 40 dollars for it or something

It's $50 but that sounds fine to me considering it never got a real release outside of Japan and this isn't just a port but a full ground-up remake with new art, voice acting, redone music, and so on.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Does FF14 have a cannoneer job

and if not, why not

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

and if not, why not

No, but hopefully in a future expansion.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

and if not, why not

machinist mostly takes up the design space of The Gun Guy, and the FFXI cannoneer's unique gimmick (gambling with cards and dice to create powerful effects) is already taken up stylistically by astrologian

they probably could fit it in somehow but it'd have to be something relatively new, like the gun mage from FFX-2

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I thought the gun mage was just a blue mage but with a gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

live a liveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee