Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"No you don't get it it's not open world it's open zone it's different, you just need to play it to understand"

"Can we play it"

"No"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Was Mario 64 the first open zone game?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really don't get why things like Comic Con trailers for movies are still behind closed doors. Do you not want to advertise?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You can't charge for an exclusive access badge if things are released for free.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Me: Okay, the special Gundam event is almost over, maybe finally they will upload the prologue to the new series on Youtube

The Gundam Twitter: We're doing more exclusive screenings at department stores

Me: :shepface:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The advertising is the dozens of fawning secondhand reports

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Harrow posted:

Yeah a lot of FFs have had overlapping developments, but the wild thing is that 9, 10, and 11 were all announced at the same event.
I mean, when you saw the event it didn't seem so wild, because the trailer for 9 showed a pretty complete-looking game, 10 showed Tidus running in an empty area with placeholder playonline menus, and 11 showed only concept art, so it was obvious the three games were at completely different stages of development.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah but it's pretty hard to imagine Square showing a final FFXVI trailer, some FFXVII footage and some FFXVIII concept art in the same event these days. We'll be lucky to get XVII before 2030.

Whereas Gamefreak still manage to pump out mainline Pokemon games at an alarming rate.

stev fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 31, 2022

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

stev posted:

I really don't get why things like Comic Con trailers for movies are still behind closed doors. Do you not want to advertise?

Gotta make those who payed 70 bucks or more to feel special :v

Sorta of related, the Prey movie was apparently shown in like a theatre at Comic Con, but they are gonna do streaming on Hulu.

Like wow not confident a new Predator movie will do well in the box office.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 31, 2022

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Imagine not only wanting to watch a trailer, but being willing to PAY real Human dollars for the privilege

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

stev posted:

Yeah but it's pretty hard to imagine Square showing a final FFXVI trailer, some FFXVII footage and some FFXVIII concept art in the same event these days. We'll be lucky to get XVII before 2030.

Whereas Gamefreak still manage to pump out mainline Pokemon games at an alarming rate.

I guess another facilitating factor at the time was those were three very different projects (one current gen, one next gen, on MMO) where it made sense to be able to produce them in parallel with different teams. Two of them were essentially R&D for the future of the company.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Imagine not only wanting to watch a trailer, but being willing to PAY real Human dollars for the privilege

gently caress yeah I love engaging with brands

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The only time I want to watch a trailer is when it's the early 00s and Kojima just dropped the latest MGS trailer.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thinkin bout the trailer reveal for shadow the hedgehog that was showing off that shadow uses guns now

Also the duke nukem trilogy trailer that was just 3 logos over and over again

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol people wanted me to play Gundam Battle Operation and I got the Unicorn Gundam on my second pull of the slot machine

It costs 200 bucks to confirm it and months of grinding for free and is basically broken right now

They're mad at me lmao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

i don't know what game i want to play so i might play xiii or sleeping dogs again

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

just don't play the xiii remaster as apparently it is terrible

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

stev posted:

Tbf it's easy to make new Pokemon games cause 80% is just copy/pasting the old game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's very funny that after Hosoda recycled the concept of the Digimon movie he did for Summer Wars, Digimon goes right back and makes Cyber Sleuth, which takes place in Summer Wars.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

double post but holy poo poo Fate/Extra Record still exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiWfzmCuiI4

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Playing through GAA 2 and I'm cracking up at Saucy Nutsmeg.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Whizzing Wizard posted:

just don't play the xiii remaster as apparently it is terrible

I was very excited for it to come out, then read a review. Game so bad they're remaking the remaster

I decided to try axiom verge and am very stuck

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ilmucche posted:

I was very excited for it to come out, then read a review. Game so bad they're remaking the remaster

I decided to try axiom verge and am very stuck

Did the devs ever end up doing that?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Did the devs ever end up doing that?

I haven't heard anything, but I'm sure at least one of them's played Axiom Verge, it was relatively popular

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looking forward to the August chat thread, something tells me it’s going to be a real “winner”! :D

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Augustus was always the most based of emperor's.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not gonna lie, I’m glad he’s dead

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

been playin a game called escape academy, it rules

not only can you pet a rat you can also (digitally) pet a file of a dog

10/10

rox
Sep 7, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9aqzemOQtk

rox
Sep 7, 2016

sometimes i wonder where nicholas picholas is now

rox
Sep 7, 2016

if he has a twitter i dont want to see it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

there's a kind of delicious irony in the first emperor of rome - a militaristic society that lauded war and conquest - being a timid social climber who got so anxious during battles that he'd lay down and look at the sky until someone came and told him whether he'd won or lost

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the first autochess player

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

there's a kind of delicious irony in the first emperor of rome - a militaristic society that lauded war and conquest - being a timid social climber who got so anxious during battles that he'd lay down and look at the sky until someone came and told him whether he'd won or lost

That isn't true homie. Augustus had the balls to march out of Rome and take head of the legions based on a scrap of paper. He lead the legions himself multiple times, by all accounts though he just wasn't as good at it as Agrippa or Even Tiberius. Calling him timid is totally off

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mix. posted:

been playin a game called escape academy, it rules

not only can you pet a rat you can also (digitally) pet a file of a dog

10/10

Its a good, fun game, and Imma buy the DLC when it drops asap.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

That isn't true homie. Augustus had the balls to march out of Rome and take head of the legions based on a scrap of paper. He lead the legions himself multiple times, by all accounts though he just wasn't as good at it as Agrippa or Even Tiberius. Calling him timid is totally off

i'm admittedly skeptical of how much of a role octavian actually played in the command of legions, especially with how much agrippa kept bailing him out at key moments, but i'll admit that "timid" was being a bit glib

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Augustus wore a big diaper whenever he would leave the house

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Augustus wore a big diaper whenever he would leave the house

everyone did back then because pants were illegal within rome's city limits

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Vermain posted:

everyone did back then because pants were illegal within rome's city limits

that's why to this day the act of making GBS threads your pants is known as "Crossing the Rubicon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Augustus refused to sleep without a night light on, well into his 20s