Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

How is Russia supposed to move in to defend though? Serbia is landlocked and, last I checked, literally surrounded by nations that have banned Russian planes from their airspace. Lavrov was supposed to visit Serbia back in like early June but the trip was cancelled because no one would let his plane through to Serbia.

I don't think that the point is to defend Serbia, but rather to create a plausible pretext that all of NATO is waging war with Slavs generally and Russians specifically. This being in service to trying to make it so that it's more palatable to the Russian people to declare a general mobilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

I just had a disturbing thought. The escalation in WWI started with Russia moving in to defend Serbia from the Austrian empire as a paternalistic "Defender of the Slavs" notion. Could Putin be trying to engineer a new Balkan conflict in order to manufacture a pretext for the general mobilization of Russia that wouldn't immediately result in a popular revolt so that he can escalate his military adventurism?

The president of serbia just went on tv ranting about how Kosovo is planning to invade at midnight so yeah plus a fig leaf for direct engagement with nato forces

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Please no.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

God this is all so loving stupid

I mean both world wars started for stupid reasons too but at least an assassination is slightly more of a flashpoint

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

TIL that the Kosov Securty Force has a pretty badass emblem

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm open to being convinced otherwise, but I'm skeptical that Russia is capable of a meaningful mobilization. At best, they could throw more barely trained young men into a meat grinder while putting further nails in the coffin of their economy. At worst, it causes sufficient unrest to pierce Putin's aura of invincibility and results in some kind of power transfer and abandonment of the war. Unless Putin decides to pull out the nukes, getting Serbia to throw itself onto NATO's bayonets isn't going to do much more than devastate one of the few Russian satellites remaining.

Either way, it's too early to say whether this will escalate and we all should be very circumspect toward any videos circulating claiming to depict large scale conflict.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
:sigh:

Willing to bet the USG had no idea this poo poo was coming.

Why? Because if they would have known they would have done the one thing that they can plausibly do to shut this kinda poo poo down non kinetically.

They’d have broadcasted to the world what was about to happen. Explaining what they’ve done after they’ve done it is closing the barn doors after all the horses are already out.

Add in the leaky nature of things right now, which I don’t care one way or the other about, and you’ve more or less got to conclude that once again Russia successfully caught the U.S. and NATO flat footed for this new crisis.

I’m not saying Putin is playing 3D chess while the west is playing $5 scratch off’s, but the kind of people that Russian influence campaigns are actually targeted at? Scratch, scratch, scratch, motherfuckers.

Anyone feel like reading a brief overview of U.S./NATO/Russian nuclear capabilities? I think I feel like typing one up for shits and grins. It’s a rainy boring Sunday, and I’ve got the time.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
:justpost:

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Basticle posted:

TIL that the Kosov Securty Force has a pretty badass emblem

Oh hey, MG Benjamin Corell, Adjutant General of the Iowa Army National Guard. Kosovo is partnered with the IA ARNG, they do a lot of joint training.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Reminder that there's no strong indication that this is anything but the latest flare up in a series of provocations. While I certainly don't want to talk up the competence of Western intelligence capabilities, I'd expect that there'd be enough to assess whether Serbia was mobilizing for an invasion and, as in Ukraine, preemptively call international attention to it.

Seems like a good thread on the incident:
https://twitter.com/UnaHajdari/status/1553828823967453184?s=20&t=j71y36NCb-XzK8DH6yrIsQ

But we all might wake up to a ball of nuclear fire tomorrow, so who knows.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

But we all might wake up to a ball of nuclear fire tomorrow, so who knows.
Yeah, it's called the sun, idiot. :smug:

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://youtu.be/ilas1l9jtpY

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Anyone feel like reading a brief overview of U.S./NATO/Russian nuclear capabilities? I think I feel like typing one up for shits and grins. It’s a rainy boring Sunday, and I’ve got the time.

Hell yes, I got covid and need reading material

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bird food bathtub posted:

I figured after the 90s we'd go back a decade to The Troubles instead of forward a decade.

I guess we can do both?

Could be both, that whole Brexit / Northern Ireland thing is still a problem, I think.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Something something great reset

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Waking up dead aint the worst thing in the world.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

God this is all so loving stupid

I mean both world wars started for stupid reasons too but at least an assassination is slightly more of a flashpoint

Russia invades Europe for its unprovoked assassination of Anatoly Chubais

edit: TIL that the Russian for sending someone to the ICU is to send them "to reanimation". really was hoping that they were gonna make zombie Chubais and would soon after roll out zombie Gaidar and zombie Yeltsin to do... something

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 1, 2022

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Guys I’m not gonna get a write up in tonight, I’ll try to do a real good one with links pics and video’s and all that to make up for the delay.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Willing to bet the USG had no idea this poo poo was coming.

Why? Because if they would have known they would have done the one thing that they can plausibly do to shut this kinda poo poo down non kinetically.

They’d have broadcasted to the world what was about to happen. Explaining what they’ve done after they’ve done it is closing the barn doors after all the horses are already out.

Add in the leaky nature of things right now, which I don’t care one way or the other about, and you’ve more or less got to conclude that once again Russia successfully caught the U.S. and NATO flat footed for this new crisis.

I’m not saying Putin is playing 3D chess while the west is playing $5 scratch off’s, but the kind of people that Russian influence campaigns are actually targeted at? Scratch, scratch, scratch, motherfuckers.

knock yourself out that stuff is really interesting

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yeah, it's called the sun, idiot. :smug:

Gonna wake up to an Oops! All suns situation then

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Gonna wake up to an Oops! All suns situation then

My bedroom windows and deck point directly at the SSBN base in Bangor, and peripherally at Seattle, when the missiles start flying it'll be hard to find a better view.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
A vicious mob of anti-Semites attacked a young girl's bat mitzvah amidst escalating attacks on Jews simply attempting to practice their faith in Israel.
https://twitter.com/TimesofIsrael/status/1553067594516537345?t=76MvfheVRMEGDuhooZu31A&s=19

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/ScottHech/status/1553024034362626048

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah Eric Adams, Mayor and true brain genius future of the Democratic Party, has basically spent his early mayorship doing ??? and saying that NYC is a crime-infested shithole. Media reports him saying NYC is a crime-infested shithole, people read/see believe it, then notice Mayor is doing ??? about it.

Meanwhile, crime is up, but nowhere near enough to justify all the coverage. Mayor's approval ratings tank.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cugel the Clever posted:

A vicious mob of anti-Semites attacked a young girl's bat mitzvah amidst escalating attacks on Jews simply attempting to practice their faith in Israel.
https://twitter.com/TimesofIsrael/status/1553067594516537345?t=76MvfheVRMEGDuhooZu31A&s=19

Haredi are jewish. So a vicious mob of Semites that believe harder in their own bullshit, like Westboro Baptists compared to casual methodists.

All religions are bullshit, but hyper conservative versions are always the worst.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Haredi are jewish. So a vicious mob of Semites that believe harder in their own bullshit, like Westboro Baptists compared to casual methodists.

All religions are bullshit, but hyper conservative versions are always the worst.

:thejoke:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
As long as they're busy making GBS threads on their own people who don't pray hard enough, they aren't loving with palestinians.

I wouldn't put it past israelis to holocaust themselves at this point.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

As long as they're busy making GBS threads on their own people who don't pray hard enough, they aren't loving with palestinians.

They can do both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

You're all living in the past.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008886