Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nystral posted:

I’m behind the intent but I’m unsure how it will survive legal muster.

I edited it because I clicked through to the tweeter’s page, and he is a dumbass, and also Adams doesn’t actually give a straight answer to the question.

https://twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1542586449526235137

Legal muster should be easy, it’s long established that kids can be required to be vaccinated to enrol in public schools, for diseases far less consequential than COVID-19, but the courts are Calvinball now so who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
A semi relevant SCOTUS ruling on vaccine mandates: https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/197/11/

I say semi relevant because it pertains to state legislatures and the current court is acting in patently unconstitutional ways.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
So did f1 dudes used to die all the time or what?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

There's a good chance Wheldon would have died in this car as well. The catch fence sheared off the roll hoop on top of the car. The wind screen is to protect drivers primarily from debris impacts to the helmet(Justin Wilson) and other bizarre hit like Jules Bianchi

Is Bianchi the one who ate a bird

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Yes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Also Yes

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Enough for a separate wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_fatalities

e: As someone who doesn't follow the sport, what changed ~1980?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 3, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah. There was a lady from Spain, Maria de Villota, several years ago who got turbo hosed up in a low speed single car crash and a year later died from neurological issues caused by the crash.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

actual improvements to the chassis to try and like, survive crashes. Chassis made of Carbon instead of aluminum, larger openings so drivers could get out, etc.

Alot could be said for Niki Lauda surviving his crash and then coming back, but freaking the gently caress out about safety and forcing the FIA to make changes

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Stewart, Ickx, Lauda and others all had to go majorly against the grain at the time(s) to try and get safety improvements made.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Who was the guy who was decapitated by a guard rail in racing?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Already answered, but I wanted to add that one thing that really gave them a kick in the rear end to get serious about safety was the Imola race of 1994.

During Friday practice, driver Rubens Barrichello went airborne and the car sailed into a tire wall. He could have been badly injured or killed but escaped with a broken arm and nose.

During Saturday qualifying, Roland Ratzenburger had a front wing failure and went headfirst into a concrete retaining wall, and later died in the hospital.

Then during the race Sunday, first there was a huge start line crash that resulted in debris and a tire being launched over the catch fence and into the crowd that injured eight spectators.

After a restart, Formula One icon Ayrton Senna’s car failed to negotiate a sharp turn (it likely has bottomed out and was skidding on the plank under the car) and went straight into a wall, and he later died in the hospital.

After that nightmarish weekend, they started making a lot of changes to the tracks and the cars in an effort to make things safer.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Carteret posted:

actual improvements to the chassis to try and like, survive crashes. Chassis made of Carbon instead of aluminum, larger openings so drivers could get out, etc.

Alot could be said for Niki Lauda surviving his crash and then coming back, but freaking the gently caress out about safety and forcing the FIA to make changes

Previnting fuel spraying into the cockpit and continuous improvement of circuits including medevac were other big ones at the time.

Good summary:
http://www.atlasf1.com/news/safety.html

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Carteret posted:

MrMojok posted:

Already answered, but I wanted to add that one thing that really gave them a kick in the rear end to get serious about safety was the Imola race of 1994.

But there are relatively few deaths listed in the 80s and 90s, after a pile going up to '78.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, those things previously mentioned were measures taken to avoid fires and better survive crashes prior to Imola.

I think the main problem by the time of Imola was the speeds the cars were reaching, due to the new aerodynamic studies the teams were doing, and also them learning constantly how to squeeze more HP out of the engines. They were becoming too fast for the tracks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
There's a very good documentary called "Grand Prix: The Killer Years" that talks about the state of the sport through the '50s-'70s and how insanely dangerous it was for both the participants and spectators.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is Bianchi the one who ate a bird

No he took the back end of a front end loader to the dome in one of the most bizarre accidents of all time

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

No he took the back end of a front end loader to the dome in one of the most bizarre accidents of all time

Front end loaders murk people all the time, they’re the hippos of the machinery world.

People are terrified of the forklifts - the big cats - and they sleep on the hippos. But it’s the hippos you have to watch out for.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

pretty sure there was an incident in the 60s or 70s where someone was killed by an F1 driver's flying severed head.

Still not as crazy as Group B Rally.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

shame on an IGA posted:

pretty sure there was an incident in the 60s or 70s where someone was killed by an F1 driver's flying severed head.

https://www.sportscasting.com/the-deadliest-crash-in-racing-history-involved-a-grandstand-collision-flying-debris-and-84-deaths/

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Holy mcgoly that's a loving nightmare crash. Also :stare: that leading into 1955 three of six Le Mans had driver deaths

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Gonna guess before every material was space age lightweight poo poo so I could easily see a race car sending thousands of pounds of shrapnel into a stands as a rolling bomb

e: oh so THATS the race that scared the swiss from motorsports. Wasn't even in country, wtf

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 4, 2022

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It basically sent a couple of giant hunks of engine into a densely packed crowd at head height :stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They should remove the safety barriers.

Crashes like that hardly ever happen, and the barriers spoil the view.

Let everyone accept their own personal risk tolerance.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

shame on an IGA posted:

I don't even follow F1 but stumbled across the death of Tom Pryce in a Wikipedia wormhole and it's one that sticks with you.

He - through no fault of his own - took a fire extinguisher to the dome at 170mph. The extinguisher flew over the grandstand and damaged a car in the parking lot.

The unfortunate race marshal who was holding the fire extinguisher had to be identified by process of elimination.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Best view is directly on the track. If I'm not at real risk of getting pancaked by a column of cars moving at a couple hundred miles an hour each lap, I'd might as well just sit and watch it all on TV at home.

Same goes for rocket launches. You've really got to feel the brunt of the heat to get the full experience.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Discussion Quorum posted:

I don't even follow F1 but stumbled across the death of Tom Pryce in a Wikipedia wormhole and it's one that sticks with you.

He - through no fault of his own - took a fire extinguisher to the dome at 170mph. The extinguisher flew over the grandstand and damaged a car in the parking lot.

The unfortunate race marshal who was holding the fire extinguisher had to be identified by process of elimination.

:stare: Jesus fuckin christ

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Arrath posted:

:stare: Jesus fuckin christ

don't look for video

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvPJ18Kcxos

Little brain bleach on the house.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Thank you for that

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://medium.com/@otauibvrrfffnchses/listen-up-liberal-69dbfa58c9ab

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This is quite good, thanks

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Shooting at the parade of the suburb my wife teaches in :thumbsup:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Well NOW it's officially independence day

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao at celebrating America in 2022.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Maybe some of my fellow Americans can explain to me what's worth celebrating today? I don't think I've ever been less proud to be an American in my life.

I seriously cannot believe there are people out there that are unironically celebrating how amazing this country is.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Someone posted this in the F1 thread. I hadn’t seen this angle before.

https://imgur.com/7idz7Ko

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Mustang posted:

Maybe some of my fellow Americans can explain to me what's worth celebrating today? I don't think I've ever been less proud to be an American in my life.

I seriously cannot believe there are people out there that are unironically celebrating how amazing this country is.
"What, to the American slave is your July 4th" has been my go to vibe on the 4th for years, and this year 50.5% of the population got added to that calculus.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, Mitt Romney is a disingenuous gently caress. Be sure to find the bullshit RNC talking points he included in his pean to The Atlantic's liberal readers.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/07/mitt-romney-republican-denial-biden-election/661468/?utm_source=feed

Mitt, as though he is powerless to stop any of this posted:

America Is in Denial

Too many Americans are blithely dismissing threats that could prove cataclysmic.

By Mitt Romney

Even as we watch the reservoirs and lakes of the West go dry, we keep watering our lawns, soaking our golf courses, and growing water-thirsty crops.

As inflation mounts and the national debt balloons, progressive politicians vote for ever more spending.

As the ice caps melt and record temperatures make the evening news, we figure that buying a Prius and recycling the boxes from our daily Amazon deliveries will suffice.

When TV news outlets broadcast video after video of people illegally crossing the nation’s southern border, many of us change the channel.

And when a renowned conservative former federal appellate judge testifies that we are already in a war for our democracy and that January 6, 2021, was a genuine constitutional crisis, MAGA loyalists snicker that he speaks slowly and celebrate that most people weren’t watching.

What accounts for the blithe dismissal of potentially cataclysmic threats? The left thinks the right is at fault for ignoring climate change and the attacks on our political system. The right thinks the left is the problem for ignoring illegal immigration and the national debt. But wishful thinking happens across the political spectrum. More and more, we are a nation in denial.

I have witnessed time and again—in myself and in others—a powerful impulse to believe what we hope to be the case. We don’t need to cut back on watering, because the drought is just part of a cycle that will reverse. With economic growth, the debt will take care of itself. January 6 was a false-flag operation. A classic example of denial comes from Donald Trump: “I won in a landslide.” Perhaps this is a branch of the same delusion that leads people to feed money into slot machines: Because I really want to win, I believe that I will win.

Bolstering our natural inclination toward wishful thinking are the carefully constructed, prejudice-confirming arguments from the usual gang of sophists, grifters, and truth-deniers. Watching angry commentators on cable news, I’m reminded of H. L. Mencken’s observation: “For every complex problem, there is a solution that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
When entire countries fail to confront serious challenges, it doesn't end well. During the past half century, we Americans have lived in a very forgiving time, and seeing the world through rose-colored glasses had limited consequences. The climate was stable, our economy dwarfed the competition, democracy was on the rise, and our military strength made the U.S. the sole global hyperpower. Today, every one of those things has changed. If we continue to ignore the real threats we face, America will inevitably suffer serious consequences.

What clears the scales from the eyes of a nation? Pearl Harbor did. 9/11 did. A crisis can shake the public consciousness. But a crisis may come too late for a course correction that can prevent tragedy. The only cure for wishful thinking is leadership. Winston Churchill emboldened a complacent Britain and rallied the world. Abraham Lincoln held the Union together. Ronald Reagan shook us from our malaise. Lech Wałęsa inaugurated a movement that brought down the Iron Curtain. Martin Luther King Jr. inspired us to “believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality.” And Volodymyr Zelensky’s stunning display of courage—“I need ammunition, not a ride”—showed us what real character looks like.

President Joe Biden is a genuinely good man, but he has yet been unable to break through our national malady of denial, deceit, and distrust. A return of Donald Trump would feed the sickness, probably rendering it incurable. Congress is particularly disappointing: Our elected officials put a finger in the wind more frequently than they show backbone against it. Too often, Washington demonstrates the maxim that for evil to thrive only requires good men to do nothing.
I hope for a president who can rise above the din to unite us behind the truth. Several contenders with experience and smarts stand in the wings; we intently watch to see if they also possess the requisite character and ability to bring the nation together in confronting our common reality. While we wait, leadership must come from fathers and mothers, teachers and nurses, priests and rabbis, businessmen and businesswomen, journalists and pundits. That will require us all to rise above ourselves—above our grievances and resentments—and grasp the mantle of leadership our country so badly needs.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Midjack posted:

lmao at celebrating America in 2022.

We were at a 4th of July party last night where they had a spot lit flag, played the national anthem, and everyone stood and hats off, etc.

My wife and I did not. Mostly because it was wierd as gently caress, but also because nah, I’m not that proud of this country right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Mustang posted:

Kids just want to see a parade :shrug: My jaw would fall off if I took the time to explain to my kids how everything they enjoy actually sucks.