Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Thank you for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Bored As gently caress posted:

I was legitimately surprised how many Godzilla movies HBO Max had. Those were a staple of many childhood sleepovers. Those were great to watch and then play with your godzilla toys and Transformers and GI Joes.

I miss the simpleness, naivete, and innocence I had that time.

The wife and I did a Godzilla marathon for the 4th.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Amazing sexual euphemism

That's what she said....

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Body cam footage of Uvalde has dropped: https://www.fox7austin.com/news/video-uvalde-texas-school-shooting-body-cam-footage

I clicked through a few of them, I didn't see anything particularly gruesome, but exercise caution. I almost gave myself an aneurism watching what I did though. There is an amazing lack of initiative with those cops and some very questionable choices for "cover". (One dude was using a thin metal pole as "cover")

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mr. Nice! posted:

AOC and a number of others arrested while protesting outside SCOTUS just now.

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1549447490684026881

I wish my Congress person and/or Senator was arrested for that. But that would imply that any of them have a conscious.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That Works posted:

Coming from Louisiana to Oklahoma and then Texas, Oklahoma did not feel like part of the south at all. East / coastal Texas felt like it a bit though. Spending a few weeks in Ohio felt way more like being in Oklahoma again so I always just lumped OK in with the midwest, ie >95% white, lovely food, same local pride in ignorance etc etc.

I recently came back from a trip to Wisconsin. The major complaint that the wife and I had was how bad the food was. Everything was either grossly under seasoned or had a ton of salt. Almost everything was deep fried and/or over cooked.

Since being back (after our quarantine period and testing negative since we were exposed) we've been on a kick of going to local places and ordering what we thought was sub par in WI and comparing. We have learned that Texas believes in seasoning, cooking properly, and that "spicy" isn't a thing that should be shunned.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Monoclonal antibodies aren't really used anymore because they're not effective against omicron and new variants. They do have effective antivirals in the form of paxlovid, which he is on.

My brother recently caught the 'Rona. They gave him Paxlovid since he is a walking comorbidity. Within 3 or 4 days he is testing negative and feels great.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

M_Gargantua posted:

To continue my anecdotal self-immolation here are the informal survey results of an ER Doctor, ER nurse, and Travel nurse: Fucks given about Covid - 3/10, 4/10, and 4/10. Worry's about monkeypox - 6/10, 8/10, and 9/10.

I'm curious about this.

I was under the assumption that monkey pox, while extremely lovely to have, is survivable.

Is it worse than I believe? Is the 2-4 weeks of being out that is the problem?

Why are some getting freaked out, and why now?

Edit after reading above: is the fear more along how much it can/will change, like we see with COVID?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Platystemon posted:

It’s more about the changes it may have already made that we don’t understand the impact of yet.

We would like to be able to say “oh, this is like the 2003 outbreak”, and it’s just not.

In a least one way, knock on wood, this virus is so far less bad than historical observations, that being its case fatality ratio. The West Africa clade has gone for something like one percent in the past (the Congo Basin clade is an order of magnitude deadlier). Well the U.S. is over three thousand cases now and there haven’t been thirty deaths. Some of those currently fighting the infection may yet perish, but the numbers are still in disagreement. Is this a difference in the virus itself, in the patients (few of whom are children or elderly), is it an artefact of testing, or the results of treatment? No one is really sure.

Monkeypox is a neglected tropical disease, and that’s a technical term. We never understood it all that well to begin with.

Thanks for that info!

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I wonder how many ancient virus and bacteria strains dethawed when 4 billion gallons of glacial ice melted off of Greenland last week.

Google is telling me that they are working on a vaccine for Marburg. I wonder how fast we will be able to spin up vaccines? Have we bothered to study any of the stuff that we find in the ice?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

Make all jokes here:

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1552603013663047682?t=6-xniJuy4BKy2mB0doi3-A&s=19

because I've never felt more like cattle when I needed to pay $7 twice just to know my drat seat, can't imagine what it's like in the pandemic-era and now a merged cost-cutting discount megacarrier

Air travel, in general, has gotten bad.

I refuse to fly on the "budget" airlines, after the fees I pay just as much as another carrier, all for what seems to be ever shrinking leg room.

I have also had horrible experiences with Delta/AA. I don't know what they are doing with the money for tickets, but it isn't going towards operating their airline. Between those two, they have lost my luggage 3 times and cancelled (not delayed) about 50% of my flights with them.

The only thing left is Southwest. They seem to occupy that "budget airline" mark that existed when I was a child, before 9/11. At least they haven't cancelled my flights on me (yet), lost my luggage (yet), and have only had minimal delays (so far).

I keep thinking that the economics of running an airline would allow for a much better experience at the current (or lower even) price points, but execs need those bonuses!

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

GoGoGadget posted:

Any idea how this works with the VA?

quote:

If you’re enrolled in VA health care, you can request up to 2 free self-test kits at your next primary care appointment or urgent care visit.

We’ll also provide self-test kits to Veterans in other situations, depending on local supplies. For example, we’ll provide self-test kits to Veterans who are currently experiencing homelessness and living in shared community spaces.

Get answers to more questions about COVID-19 testing at VA

Other ways to get free self-test kits
Every home in the U.S. can order free self-test kits (also called at-⁠home tests).

Order your free COVID-19 self-test kits at COVID.gov

If you need help to order your tests, call 800-232-0233 (TTY 888-720-7489).

You can also get more free self-test kits at many local pharmacies. If you have health insurance, your plan may pay you back for tests. Check with your local pharmacies for more information.

Find more about ways to get tests at COVID.gov

That was straight from va.gov (https://www.va.gov/coronavirus-vete...%20appointment.)

"Depending on local supplies" is likely doing some heavy lifting.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

I'll be finding out next month! But the apparent thing that's happened is that all of the budget airlines never paid their people poo poo, so they've always been lovely with baggage/ticketing/scheduling because of all the turnover. Delta's main business model was that you'd pay way more to avoid all of those problems, as they charged you more and paid their people better.

Now, the pandemic made all of their long-tenured employees retire/quit and they've had to hire replacements, in a tight labor market, with demand skyrocketing, and greedy CEOs demanding profits profits and better service profits.

So now, Delta et al has gone down to the service level of the budget carriers, without dropping their prices accordingly. Capitalism!

I recently flew for a trip. We ended up using Southwest due to price and schedule. So far, we have only had two flights from SW delayed, and they haven't (yet) lost our luggage. I am also noticing that the airport that you fly from and to is more important now. Specific times, at specific locations can be severely impacted.

Our recent delay was for a connecting flight. I wish it was easier to see the routes for each aircraft. I suspect our delayed aircraft came from one of those airports that can't handle the capacity, it would be useful to see that for planning. Maybe it would be worth it to take a flight that is more expensive/crappy time if the odds are better that I don't have issues.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

The cost of that is that you're in or around Houston. I'd take the higher chance at delays and other problems.

Great comment/avatar combo.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

House GOP and a pile of Republican Senators decided to whip against the CHIPS Act today because they're mad at Manchin, didn't matter. Pelosi didn't lose a single vote and gained 24 Republicans too, they just held off until Ds delivered the 218 needed.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1552733039670722565?t=rfd8EPuG10HCV0jqmZKKGA&s=19

$50B in incentives inbound to make more semiconductors in-country.

I like this "active" Democrat party. The real question is, who or what lit the fire under them to actually motivate them to do... well... anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

This wasn't anywhere on my radar. Did I miss something important? This is kind of random, right?