Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
There's a very good documentary called "Grand Prix: The Killer Years" that talks about the state of the sport through the '50s-'70s and how insanely dangerous it was for both the participants and spectators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, I've lived in Oklahoma and Nebraska. I know from the Midwest. Never met anyone there as aggressively lacking in melanin as El Musko.

Oklahoma is not the loving Midwest

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, if Biden dies, I think we end up with a vacant VP spot until after midterms and potentially through the rest of her presidency. This will be bizarre, because no VP means no one to count the votes according to the constitution and ECA.

Filling a vacant VP slot just requires a simple majority from both congressional houses, but there is no tie breaker for a tied senate.

It wouldn't be the first time. Before 1967 and the 25th Amendment, there wasn't any actual mechanism to replace Vice-Presidents that ascended to the Presidency.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

davecrazy posted:

It's a pretty famous case of the media whipping the public into a war frenzy.

:thejoke:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Arrath posted:

Yeah rednecks will jump at the chance to hunt newly unextinct megafauna.

What we need are stealthy sabertooth tigers that can give as good as they get.

Gargantuan pieces of poo poo are doing their best to hunt predators now.

https://twitter.com/rdevro/status/1549727635927838720?t=F3lFr6QfKPdC4BtQ3VzhZA&s=19

I think I've mentioned it before but I am a park ranger, seeing wolves at Yellowstone hunting bison was one of the coolest things I've seen in my entire life, and I cannot tell you how loving angry this article made me.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Hi, can you make a thread about your experiences working my dream job?

Well, there's not that much to say. I'm just a seasonal Interp ranger, so most of my job is talking to people in some capacity—working the desk, doing programs, roving trails, that kind of stuff. Great job if you love being outdoors and talking to people, but there are definitely challenges like relatively low pay, the difficulty of getting a permanent job, driving an hour and a half for groceries, etc. Like most jobs, a lot of it is dependent on coworkers/supervisors (I've been lucky to mostly have good experiences with both, but I've definitely heard some horror stories), and the experience is what you make of it—I've had a great time at most of the parks I've lived/worked at, but living in a rural area with few people around other than your coworkers can also be extremely isolating if you're not socially outgoing, especially at the smaller parks.

Won't find a better job to practice photography, though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm like 80% positive I know the exact spot where this was taken, but either way, great shot!

Thanks! As I recall, it was on the rim trail somewhere between Hermit's Rest and Monument Creek Vista. Or maybe between the Abyss and Mojave Point? Either way, somewhere along the Hermit's Rest road. With that kind of lighting though it's pretty much impossible to take a bad picture, so long as you've got a half-decent camera.

Kesper North posted:

Are those... numbers on that vulture? Is this a military vulture? Should I be looking for an air force roundel or something...?

Well, I can explain, but you're gonna have to pay me overtime :v:

So that vulture is a California Condor, the largest land bird in North America. They can have over a 9' wingspan, weigh over 25 pounds, and can fly hundreds of miles in a single day. They are very cool birds! In many ways they're relics of the ice age, having adapted to eat the carcasses of the megafauna that used to roam the North American continent ten to twenty thousand years ago.

In the 20th century though, their population cratered. As carrion feeders they're very vulnerable to bioaccumulation, and the use of DDT and lead bullets killed a lot of birds. By the 1980s less than two dozen birds were left in the world, and a decision was made to capture every bird still alive and to begin a captive breeding program. This was, to put it lightly, extremely difficult and expensive, in part because Condors only tend to lay a single egg every two years.

Fortunately, the program has been a success, and the Condor population has risen to over 500 birds. However, it's not without continued challenges or controversies—more Condors are still dying from various causes than are being hatched in the wild, so they're still reliant on the breeding program to survive. There's also been some who would argue that the money spent saving this one species would have been better spent on other, more effective/sustainable programs.

Today, every Condor in the wild has a radio tag attached to its wings, so they can be tracked and studied. You can even look up the history of each individual live bird, like 61 up there! https://condorspotter.com

In short, Condors are cool, thanks for coming to my program

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Also as an aside, a couple years ago I made a National Parks thread in The Great Outdoors subforum, for those who want to continue Park Chat and posting awesome park photos: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933146

I've actually been meaning to write up an update for the parks I've been to this year, which have been a lot! There's so many incredible parks in this country (and also Gateway Arch)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's also been reported that Sinema pretty much dumped everyone who helped her get to the Senate the moment she didn't need them anymore. She's got her corporate donors, but who's going to phone bank or knock on doors for her?

facialimpediment posted:

Sinema isn't on a day-to-day talking basis with Schumer per Politico, so she doesn't have a whole lot of friends in the Senate. The DNC/DSCC probably wouldn't take a position in a Gallego vs Sinema primary. And Arizona is lightly shaded Red and running complete Republican loonies at the state level, so there's a halfway-decent chance that a non-shitfuck Democrat (like a Kelly) would win and remain reliable. Arizona isn't even close to West Virginia where any statewide Democrat is loving dead meat if it isn't Manchin. Technically, Sinema hasn't torpedoed anywhere near as much as Manchin has, but it's clear Democrats could upgrade by primarying Sinema and it's a reasonable gamble in a presidential-year election.

The thing about Manchin versus Sinema is that while both of them are shits, Manchin is at least (somewhat) more predictable. You know what he wants, you know what his base wants, he's usually willing to negotiate, you can work with that—and while he gets off on defying the administration/mainstream democrats, he's usually willing to give them a win so long as it looks like he's sticking them in the eye or moderating their proposals.

Sinema, meanwhile, plays her cards so close to her chest it's difficult or even impossible to know what she's willing to vote for. She refuses to be nailed down on specific policies, won't speak to reporters, and during the negotiations last year would only talk directly to the White House. Even if she's willing to go farther than Manchin on certain issues (Except taxes, as has repeatedly become clear), the sheer fact that she's so difficult to nail down and negotiate with was one of the major factors that derailed BBB last year.

So, yeah, even if Manchin is a worse dem on paper, I think the Dem Senate caucus would be much happier to kick out Sinema. Preferably into the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Say what you will about him, you can't deny that Manchin knows his electorate.

They want to own the libs, and Manchin delivers.