Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Carteret posted:

It's the ring you see around the cockpit. The drivers helmets were unprotected until a few years ago, and people were REALLY against it because of "tradition"

Toxic masculinity as a prop for capitalism, same as in football (NFL flavor) or mining or construction or any other "manly" industry. Worrying about safety makes us look wimpy and costs the investors money and is bad for business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

shame on an IGA posted:

pretty sure there was an incident in the 60s or 70s where someone was killed by an F1 driver's flying severed head.

Still not as crazy as Group B Rally.

I don't even follow F1 but stumbled across the death of Tom Pryce in a Wikipedia wormhole and it's one that sticks with you.

He - through no fault of his own - took a fire extinguisher to the dome at 170mph. The extinguisher flew over the grandstand and damaged a car in the parking lot.

The unfortunate race marshal who was holding the fire extinguisher had to be identified by process of elimination.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

quote:

HIGHLAND PARK, Ill. — A day after a gunman opened fire on a Fourth of July parade in this city, local officials painted a picture Tuesday of a lone shooter who planned the attack for weeks, dressed in “women’s clothing” to conceal his identity and blended in with the terrified crowd to escape.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/07/05/highland-park-parade-shooting-live-updates/

I'm sure the discourse around this factoid will be completely balanced and not at all be spun against trans people as quickly as possible :thumbsup:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
So did something specific trigger the wave of resignations, or did one minister call time and then the rest suddenly found their spines? The no-confidence vote was a month ago.

As a colonial I am aware that BoJo is taking a lot of heat for his "work-related" covid cocktail parties but it's not like people are just now, today, realizing that he's a shitbag, I assume.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Just lol if Alabama ends up with not one but TWO dumb-as-rocks senators because they were good at football

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Mr. Nice! posted:

He’s running in Georgia against Reverend Warnock.

:doh: I thought he was running for Shelby's seat

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Eej posted:

Single handedly ruined relations with South Korea by undermining a formal apology about IJA sexual slavery by going to the Japanese parliament and saying there's no evidence that women were cooerced into being sex slaves for the Japanese army.

https://twitter.com/onlineman420/status/1545407331403501570?t=hTTsAjdWE5qGw1kiO6RSOg&s=19

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Somewhere a Brazil and Filipino Khyber gunsmith is looking at that picture and having a tear in their eye, like the Italian dude playing the Native American in the littering commercial.

Well, today I learned something new (not that it's terribly surprising)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Gosh golly what is the point of a trial now? Your honor, I propose my client be released on account of having irrefutably proved his guilt, sparing the prosecution the need to do anything.

In other news, I found the backstory to the "Anne Frank had white privilege" tweet and apparently it started because people thought the term "PAWG" was racist and detoured into doxing and threatening a pet pig? I think the brain worms took a W here.

https://twitter.com/naebumaye/status/1545932963912851458?t=qianZFrD_IkFJNiRdDb5Ng&s=19

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Time Crisis Actor posted:

I wish Elon would buy Twitter just to shut down this kind of idiotic discourse

I hope the Musk/Twitter ouroborous manages to eat itself and winks out of existence, leaving behind only spaceships and a flash drive containing the archived tweets of John Fetterman dunking on Dr. Oz.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

https://twitter.com/bencjacobs/status/1546498321115660291?s=24&t=lueyNo2MCN4lnzwJqBu1Kw

Apparently the Fascists in the GOP couldn’t get enough of ole Vicky Orban, so they’re flying him to Texas to speak on how to destroy democracy.

Fart fart farrrrrtfartfart

At least this time they're going to Dallas, Houston has had enough chud events for a while

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Hmm, this seems bad. Surely they've now shown the full depths of their ghoulish depravi- wait there's more

https://twitter.com/AnthonyMKreis/status/1547370727699087366?t=SkGsWOfjvbMVYEVAczoqoA&s=19

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
What are you doing, NOT-stepfather apartheid warbux?

I hate myself for being able to construct this sentence

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

They don't have any front-line workers lol

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

maffew buildings posted:

Providers don't operate in a vacuum even if they don't directly cash a check from UHG

The front-line providers are not UHG workers, they work at the institutions that are bleeding money while UHG reaps the economic surplus, which I think was the point of the OP :shrug:

Any clinical employee at UHG is most likely employed to find reasons to deny claims review and audit claims for medical necessity

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

The Alamo reference makes for an excellent Texas-specific burn

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
https://twitter.com/AlanDersh/status/1548502759858548738?t=rZ90_toxMhniX9CdFe1fMw&s=19

:yeshaha:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

facialimpediment posted:

very weird for something as wholesome as that to come out of tiktok

It's the 2020s. K-pop teens sabotage Trump rallies and furries bash the fash.

Chaotic good is for real.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Mr. Nice! posted:

AOC and a number of others arrested while protesting outside SCOTUS just now.

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1549447490684026881

Excuse me we JUST established you can't arrest politicians in an election year, which is coincidentally 50% of the time lol

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Platystemon posted:

Pizza delivery is more dangerous than policing any day of the year.

Thin blue line? More like the thin crust line.

I read somewhere he is having to do a Gofundme to pay the medical bills from his injuries.

I'm proud to be an American
Where gently caress you nothing is free
And I'll just forget
The men
Who died
While I hoarded my pennies

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

That Works posted:

Coming from Louisiana to Oklahoma and then Texas, Oklahoma did not feel like part of the south at all. East / coastal Texas felt like it a bit though. Spending a few weeks in Ohio felt way more like being in Oklahoma again so I always just lumped OK in with the midwest, ie >95% white, lovely food, same local pride in ignorance etc etc.

Yeah OK is not the South at all. TX is as far west as Houston/Dallas (more so Dallas than Houston IMO), but not so much by the time you reach Austin/San Antonio.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

maffew buildings posted:

What a cool system glad we overrepresent a bunch of empty land in Congress to decide this stuff instead of just cutting out the middle man and using what people actually want

Excuse me but that empty land deserves a seat at the table. Otherwise why did our founders, in their infinite and indisputable wisdom, give votes ONLY to owners of empty land?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Real weird to realize that WWII and Vietnam vets are to today's kids what WWI and WWII vets were to me in the 90s.

poo poo, to extend that analogy, early OEF/OIF would be Vietnam and Desert Storm would be... Grenada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I've flown United and Sotuhwest extensively recently and not really had any problems. Then again I fly out of Houston which are main hubs for both. Connection? What's that, never heard of it :v:

Meanwhile the one single one-way flight I tried to book on American got canceled.