Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Looks like something from Cyberpunk 2077

OG cyberpunk story Johnny Mnemonic literally starts off with Johnny building a homemade shotgun and homemade shells to ambush a drug dealer with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Shaddak posted:

Nothing of importance in the grand scheme of things but, I just saw this article:

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-fires-nuke-submarine-captain-after-only-8-months/?amp

It piqued my curiosity. I'm sure it's not normal to fire a sub commander after only 8 months, but I did wonder what sort of things would cause that to happen. I mean, the article is kind of vague. Loss of confidence, yada yada yada. I figured vets might have some i sight.

Like the article says, it can cover a very wide range of reasons, and it's the standard line they use when they don't want to go into details. You'll commonly see it used for personal misconduct (DUI, fraternization, other illegal activity), poor command climate (hazing, discrimination, suicides, etc), or egregious operational failures like running into islands or other ships. Usually the latter case is pretty obvious, but otherwise we normally won't get any more details unless there are public legal actions or juicy leaks that catch media attention.

There's a saying that the #1 goal for every commanding officer is "don't show up on the front page of the Navy Times".

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I mean Japan isn’t gonna be cranking out aircraft carrier after aircraft carrier.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

First JWST image just dropped:

Arcella posted:

Dang the universe is pretty big.

For scale, that picture represents a portion of the sky covered by a grain of sand held at arm's length.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Landlords delenda est

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1550873384866779139

quote:

"There's very little evidence that shutting off utility service to a tenant is an effective way to collect from a delinquent landlord," Whillans told NPR. "In many cases, landlords that refuse to pay repeatedly are bad actors that also have lots of other outstanding violations, so a lack of water service is just one more violation on the books."

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Is having both guards walk away from the truck for half an hour normal procedure?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Hearty LOL at the idea of the navy having an accurate record of my vaccinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Nothing says "healthy, functional society" like having to assume that anyone looking out their window is an active shooter.

https://twitter.com/shawnmicallef/status/1553391429308882946