Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSuoemFJGe0

I stumbled across this video today, and while it's perhaps a little outside of this thread's wheelhouse I thought some folks here would get a kick out of it.

Toshio Okada (of Gainax fame) hosts a short video discussing the reception of Joker (2019) in Japan. Many of his points will be familiar, but his perspective as a former anime producer who is most familiar with that subculture has him approach things from an interesting direction. (Eg: that Nolan's version of the Joker is unrealistic because a character that indiscriminate couldn't have maintained a villainous organization.) A fascinating watch if only to hear someone compare the various Batmen films with each other and also Madoka Magica in the same breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0twDETh6QaI

Hbomb has released his best work yet. Just an absolutely wild video that took some really unexpected turns

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Seconded. It's really incredible.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The best pitch for it is what he calls it in the video itself: "30 minutes of investigation, feature length mental breakdown".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

I wouldn't necessarily consider Haver a video essayist but he obviously loves the art of filmmaking, has done movie making challenges the past few years for Oscar season. He had created a channel just to do more of a movie opinions thing but I can't find that channel or the announcement so maybe he abandoned that idea??

So I found this channel after not being able to find it for some reason!:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTy7s81ii4fe4xNMGFNwYxA

What's great is it's actually a lot of older/foreign movies, thought I do wish he would do more analysis since it's mostly just fairly short videos where he talks really generally about why he likes them. On the other hand it's refreshing to watch a young talented YouTuber talk for 5-10 minutes about John Cassavetes or Paris, Texas as a contrast to the absolute glut of dudes ranting about Disney Star Wars movies for 10+ hours per movie.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

So I just watched the new Big Joel, an interesting sort of critical meander through some Iraq War art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYxdbFjCwoo

And I realized something about his style, and what I think it may be drawing from: it's very similar to the style of Chris Ott's Shallow Rewards series of rambly critical vlogs generally focused on being mad about the finance of the music and music media industry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cedj77Fl9GI
(CW: Kurt Cobain's suicide and all associated topics)

Obviously neither of them invented vlogs, but I think there's a certain way of using the digital video/bedroom studio idiom and structuring what's basically a video effortpost that they share.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 1, 2022

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Apparently disgraced CineD poster Dan Ohlsen aka Folding Ideas made a video about WoW, does anyone know if its any good?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Super good and I've never played WoW.

That being said, it's his most academic work to date. It's more research paper than essay and more of both than video.

Dan used to be an SA poster? I'm a big appreciator of his work. He's one of those "so talented it's kind of infuriating sometimes" peeps.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's solid but it cracks me up that he basically uses a Jon Bois format for it

Yeah him, Lindsey Ellis, hbomb and more used to post on sa. Dan was one of the last ones posting in the old online critic threads

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The mythos is that we ran him out of CineD on a rail for not sufficiently appreciating Suicide Squad (2016).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I wonder how many famous Youtubers I was a jerk to.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

josh04 posted:

The mythos is that we ran him out of CineD on a rail for not sufficiently appreciating Suicide Squad (2016).

To be fair, I think that was shortly after he registered his account, so it seemed like he was just coming here to promote his stuff rather than being a poster who started making videos.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It's a funny thought if he only got an account here on Hbombs recommendation and then we brought out the pitchforks when he started bad mouthing Suicide Squad, of all movies

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DCU fandom is weird.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LividLiquid posted:

DCU fandom is weird.

All fandoms are weird. Some are just more self aware than others.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
All fandoms except the Touhou Fandom

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm watching Dans video in bits and pieces, and i find it super hilarious that some folks aired out their petty stupid guild drama for over a million viewers

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

McCloud posted:

I'm watching Dans video in bits and pieces, and i find it super hilarious that some folks aired out their petty stupid guild drama for over a million viewers

Yeah, the video was most interesting when discussing optimal play vs communal 'make your own fun' stuff and the tug of war between the two and the community/devs of games.

It was unfortunately mostly about stupid WoW poo poo though.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Can't speak to any of this guys other videos but I enjoyed this overview of a bunch of non-traditional Christmas movies. There's a nice variety of recommendations here, I'll definitely be adding the adaptation of The Dead to my watchlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ndNh1jc44

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
K waste doesn't post round here anymore unfortunately but his channel is great and deserves more love, even if he took down some of his best ones (maybe they're on Patreon?)
https://youtube.com/@kennethwaste7449

josh04 posted:

That was so funny because it's not like he was wrong that skwad is badly edited, but then he'd make a further weird claim (where's Diablo?) and refuse to evaluate it!

Even Ayer himself got in on it (on twitter) lol

But folding is a good YouTuber for all that, I like his stuff even if I don't always agree with him.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

A non-goon fan got K. Waste to reupload his Man of Steel video at least to archive.org: https://archive.org/details/devotional_criticism_04

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for posting that. That video is a favorite off mine.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

josh04 posted:

A non-goon fan got K. Waste to reupload his Man of Steel video at least to archive.org: https://archive.org/details/devotional_criticism_04

God bless the archive.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shout outs to Every Frame A Painting still being really good. I also went back through the old Folding Ideas film ones which are still excellent although I have an unhealthy relationship with The Snowman now.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

K waste doesn't post round here anymore unfortunately but his channel is great and deserves more love, even if he took down some of his best ones (maybe they're on Patreon?)
https://youtube.com/@kennethwaste7449

I still watch his mirror edit of Night of the Living Dead from time to time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

algebra testes posted:

Shout outs to Every Frame A Painting still being really good.
I sincerely hope he only stopped making it because he moved on to bigger and better things, because he might've been the best out there.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

ruddiger posted:

I still watch his mirror edit of Night of the Living Dead from time to time.

I only intended to watch the first bit and go "that's funny" but then before I'd noticed I had watched the whole thing!

Testament to both how effective the film itself is and what a clever idea for a cut Kenneth's was

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 21, 2022

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all, Infranaut of Youtube here. Please watch and enjoy my new video "Scrooge was the GOOD guy!" As it turns out, many modern pundits and conservatives love Scrooge, for some reason. This vid goes into the many flaws of these readings and the general worldview. I think it's a fun watch, and it even features a few special guest appearances! If you enjoy it please feel free to leave a like/comment/sub as it pleases the algorithm beast.

I had to read a lot of loving horrible op-eds for this.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

Hey all, Infranaut of Youtube here. Please watch and enjoy my new video "Scrooge was the GOOD guy!" As it turns out, many modern pundits and conservatives love Scrooge, for some reason. This vid goes into the many flaws of these readings and the general worldview. I think it's a fun watch, and it even features a few special guest appearances! If you enjoy it please feel free to leave a like/comment/sub as it pleases the algorithm beast.

I saw it linked in Cspam and came here to share the wealth lol. Excellent video

Edit: lmao hbomb cameo

McCloud fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 24, 2022

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Finally saw Arrival last week, and this is spot on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZpPMuvoaok

I think it’s Denis Villeneuve‘s best film.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Dan Olson is one of those people who I frequently sit in awe of some of his writing. It's not every video, but there are lines from a few of them that capture the perfect balance of complexity and succinctness

I also found it funny that in one of his recent videos where he challenged himself to write a bullshit book for almost no pay, he made such a point of having to adapt to a different voice but ultimately his work still sounded unmistakably like him. Which I love, so...

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The twist in Olson’s Flat Earther video is so good and its shocking I didn’t see it coming

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012
I dunno, is it a twist? or is it just the end of a longish intro?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Dan Olson is one of those people who I frequently sit in awe of some of his writing. It's not every video, but there are lines from a few of them that capture the perfect balance of complexity and succinctness

I also found it funny that in one of his recent videos where he challenged himself to write a bullshit book for almost no pay, he made such a point of having to adapt to a different voice but ultimately his work still sounded unmistakably like him. Which I love, so...
Awe is right. He's the reigning champion. Every video makes me never want to make another of my own because he's Jordan and I'm... well, still me, but basketball.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Calico Heart posted:

This was very good, and I appreciated your discussion of Liz Truss. It was a unique take that actually was revealing about her character (as well as other people).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

Enjoyed this. Agreed with the poster above me, the lizz truss bit was a great inclusion

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

McCloud posted:

Apparently disgraced CineD poster Dan Ohlsen aka Folding Ideas made a video about WoW, does anyone know if its any good?
Wait the Folding Ideas and Hbomberguy are both goons!?

Generally I love his stuff but stopped the video like 15 minutes in. I was never into WoW and was like nah I don't need to watch an hour and a half of this. Maybe once if I'm really bored.

I think I might've seen Eric Jacobus in the action thread. I've only seen the most recent few videos which seem to be different from early stuff but it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9XTAyoYv1c

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait the Folding Ideas and Hbomberguy are both goons!?

Generally I love his stuff but stopped the video like 15 minutes in. I was never into WoW and was like nah I don't need to watch an hour and a half of this. Maybe once if I'm really bored.

I think I might've seen Eric Jacobus in the action thread. I've only seen the most recent few videos which seem to be different from early stuff but it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9XTAyoYv1c

Yepp, Hbomb was a regular here at CineD, I don't think Folding posted much outside of the internet personality thread though

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

I don't watch that much video essay style content any more but one I've been kind of getting into recently is FD Signifier who does black media analysis and often collaborates with other black and minority creators.
I love FD Signifier!

I just discovered him last April when he and T1J switched places for an April Fool's gag about how much people confuse them with each other even though they don't really look alike. It was really drat fun and clever even though it kinda' sucked for people with prosopagnosia, but it's not like black people shouldn't get to talk about a problem that affects their everyday life to such an extent just because we exist. I digress.

He's got a really compelling writer's voice and his recent video on the first Black Panther kicked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Style is Substance put out a video ranking all the Star Wars movies. Not just the big theatrical ones but some lesser known ones and the holiday special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OM99H8lgX8