Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Apparently Nick was melting down on the discord before the plug was pulled. It really seems like he did not know. And if that's true then he's a lazy lazy loving writer. Did he do no research into the subjects he was co-authoring videos about? Did he at no point look into any of the creators and writers his partner was backhandedly crediting?

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That was a very easy 4 hours to spend. Every minute was packed with flamethrowers and explosions.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

High Warlord Zog posted:

Apparently Nick was melting down on the discord before the plug was pulled. It really seems like he did not know. And if that's true then he's a lazy lazy loving writer. Did he do no research into the subjects he was co-authoring videos about? Did he at no point look into any of the creators and writers his partner was backhandedly crediting?

Todd in the Shadows just released his own video about Somerton and at around the 50 minute mark he talks about discord posts from this fucko where he claims he doesn't read, doesn't watch other youtubers and doesn't do research.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the most salient point hbomberguy makes is that plagiarists don’t steal because they respect you, they steal because they think you’re beneath them. For this reason it’s rare to see anybody come to the defense of plagiarists.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

exquisite tea posted:

For this reason it’s rare to see anybody come to the defense of plagiarists.

People defend AI art all the time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Efb

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly i think the most compelling aspect is less the drama and just the commentary on how much youtube material is just pig slop, like, reaction videos, or reactions to reaction videos, even when it's not outright plagiarism. Reading off a news article for five minutes, gotta keep that video coming out every day for the youtube bucks.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Panzeh posted:

Honestly i think the most compelling aspect is less the drama and just the commentary on how much youtube material is just pig slop, like, reaction videos, or reactions to reaction videos, even when it's not outright plagiarism. Reading off a news article for five minutes, gotta keep that video coming out every day for the youtube bucks.

Part of me also feels like it highlights the dangerous parasocial relationships people form with these content creators. It’s not a YouTube Channel, it’s my friend who I know and we share something in common! And if Hbomberguy and me meet in real life, we would be best buddies and get on perfectly even though I know something about him and he knows nothing about me!

People do defend these people even when their laziness is brought forward because of that. They’ll stand by them. It probably was a mistake. Or something that happened one time! Or it wasn’t plagiarism, it was just a misunderstanding! And it’s hard!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo I had no idea Cinemassacre outsourced everything to some plagarist fucks at some point. I stopped watching regularly like a decade ago probably, by just slowly losing interest. But that's really terrifying to what some guy's honest personal opinions turned into.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Screenwave sucks but to be clear, it was just one of them and they fired him immediately after it came to light.

The Hbomberguy video was amazing, though I kinda wish it was released either a week earlier or later. It’s taking the attention away from the massive charity fraud scheme done by Jirard Khalil aka The Completionist and his family.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cemetry Gator posted:

Part of me also feels like it highlights the dangerous parasocial relationships people form with these content creators. It’s not a YouTube Channel, it’s my friend who I know and we share something in common! And if Hbomberguy and me meet in real life, we would be best buddies and get on perfectly even though I know something about him and he knows nothing about me!

People do defend these people even when their laziness is brought forward because of that. They’ll stand by them. It probably was a mistake. Or something that happened one time! Or it wasn’t plagiarism, it was just a misunderstanding! And it’s hard!

I think the parasocial aspects are how you get people to be interested in watching a creator read something or watching a creator do something banal that can be done once or twice a day to maximize youtube revenue.

Deep Lore Analysis videos are just people reading wikis, for example.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Screenwave sucks but to be clear, it was just one of them and they fired him immediately after it came to light.

The Hbomberguy video was amazing, though I kinda wish it was released either a week earlier or later. It’s taking the attention away from the massive charity fraud scheme done by Jirard Khalil aka The Completionist and his family.
Yeah you're right. But they gave me some bad vibes trying to pass it off as "some new guy" that "accidentally copied entire reviews" but it's probably just standard damage control PR they didn't pull off smoothly

The video is great. I still haven't finished it but it's incredible how he managed to hype me up about the Cave video even though I've never heard of it or watched a single Internet Historian video before (pretty sure I've seen his stuff pop up though).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Still don’t know who this completionist guy is

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Some video game YouTuber who used his clout to run "charity benefits" that have turned out to never pay out to what he said they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb0dMF1zHyA

If you still care after that, there's more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ6tYkStri4

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah you're right. But they gave me some bad vibes trying to pass it off as "some new guy" that "accidentally copied entire reviews" but it's probably just standard damage control PR they didn't pull off smoothly

The video is great. I still haven't finished it but it's incredible how he managed to hype me up about the Cave video even though I've never heard of it or watched a single Internet Historian video before (pretty sure I've seen his stuff pop up though).

Re: Internet Historian, I did enjoy his videos on the Concordia cruise and that Area 51 thing from a few years ago.

Now there’s a non zero chance he stole poo poo for those as well lol.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Oh yeah must've definitely had the Concordia video recommended but don't think I ever watched it

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah when it first popped up a few weeks (?) ago I haven't heard of him, the channel, or the youtubers exposing his poo poo. It was good content though :suspense:

So I'm curious about this update as well. I think the internet can handle multiple main characters at the same time.

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

Finished the Hbomberguy video on Somerton, then watched the Todd in the Shadows one as well.

It's funny, I always thought Somerton was a smug prick who wasn't as smart as he thought he was since I'd clock blatant incorrect info in videos of his sometimes, and I never really bought his attempts to say he didn't have a problem with women or trans folks, but I guess I always chalked it up to him being kind of up his own rear end. I didn't watch his stuff very often or very critically because he didn't really put his sources out there and I can only stomach so much smugness and/or thinly veiled catty misogyny/bi erasure/trans erasure in a video about stuff like vampires or a goddamn ice skating anime, so I didn't give his work too much weight, but I was still taken kind of by surprise at the sheer loving scale of it all. Like, drat, the audacity is really impressive. I feel really bad for the queer writers he stole so much from and all of the people who were giving him cash thinking they were supporting important queer media creation.

cake bunny fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 4, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Oh yeah must've definitely had the Concordia video recommended but don't think I ever watched it

It and the cave video are very interesting and well-paced. Possibly because they were plagiarized, which loving sucks.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I didn’t know who Somerton was before hbomb nuked him but the moment I saw he dressed like Elizabeth Holmes dressing like Steve Jobs I knew he was full of poo poo

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

What can you even say/do when you get obliterated that thoroughly? You can't dismiss the claims because hbomberguy has video/text evidence for every single point he makes.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

What can you even say/do when you get obliterated that thoroughly? You can't dismiss the claims because hbomberguy has video/text evidence for every single point he makes.

Well, in Filip Miucin’s case, he had some odd jobs doing articles for clickfarming sites before he eventually ended up where he is now doing video editing for Microsoft. But Miucin, as much of a hack as he was, had legit editing skills he built and Somerton can barely put together prebought After Effects assets.

cake bunny posted:

Finished the Hbomberguy video on Somerton, then watched the Todd in the Shadows one as well.

It's funny, I always thought Somerton was a smug prick who wasn't as smart as he thought he was since I'd clock blatant incorrect info in videos of his sometimes, and I never really bought his attempts to say he didn't have a problem with women or trans folks, but I guess I always chalked it up to him being kind of up his own rear end. I didn't watch his stuff very often or very critically because he didn't really put his sources out there and I can only stomach so much smugness and/or thinly veiled catty misogyny/bi erasure/trans erasure in a video about stuff like vampires or a goddamn ice skating anime, so I didn't give his work too much weight, but I was still taken kind of by surprise at the sheer loving scale of it all. Like, drat, the audacity is really impressive. I feel really bad for the queer writers he stole so much from and all of the people who were giving him cash thinking they were supporting important queer media creation.

This is what’s striking about Somerton to me - even if he didn’t plagiarize seemingly the majority of his content, he’s a dipshit who’s constantly getting poo poo wrong, has wild-rear end horrible takes, can’t light or film anything halfway interesting, he’s a terrible presenter who is actively unpleasant to listen to, he is the smuggest man I’ve ever seen and for Breadtube that’s loving saying something, and to top it all off he’s a loving Disney Adult who uses these falsehoods and stolen work to carry water for loving Bob Iger. I truly can’t find a single thing to like about the man. Todd in the Shadows was being inflammatory when he called Somerton “the worst video essayist ever” but he has a strong case for being right.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Halfway through the Tommy Tallarico one

I’m sure everyone’s known a couple Tommy Tallaricos in their life. I’m getting flashbacks!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Tallarico one is a bit hard to watch because yeah we’ve all known people like that and they’re exhausting because that’s their entire MO. Every waking moment they’re selling something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hbomb talking about how we have to investigate proper video game credits for uncredited people before the people who exclusively know certain things die from old age: “To quote a famous Nintendo quit screen, everything not saved will be lost”

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Tallarico one is a bit hard to watch because yeah we’ve all known people like that and they’re exhausting because that’s their entire MO. Every waking moment they’re selling something.

It also came out on the same day as Defunctland's episode on the Disney Channel's theme, and boy was that a ride watch them back to back.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just checked the Roblox a year after watching it. There's a post that claims that Tommy disappeared after the video dropped:

quote:

So just an update since its been over a year since this video has been live:
Tommy has been M.I.A ever since this dropped. Literally. Not a tweet. Not an interview. Nothing. Complete silence. Gone with the wind. Absolute insane levels of dissappearance.
lol.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403eGkWv4MA

20 minutes more stuff about Illuminaughti from the cutting room floor

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 5, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

You close up shop, privately cry into your big pile of money, and be grateful for the few hundred patrons who are dead or not online this month. Change your name and get a real job. That's probably the best that James, Jirard, and Tommy could do for themselves.

Cinemassacre and Illuminaughtii can probably just shut up, ride this out, and pump out videos. Their entrenched fans will think the accusations are made up or not that bad if true. The more critical viewers will dislike and comment "their mother is very proud", feeding the algorithm while the actual fans won't see or understand the criticism.

The best thing these creators could do for me, a viewer, is to quickly and clumsily respond directly to every accusation.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'd never heard of Somerton. I'm subscribed to Matt Baume, so I'd have thought the Algorithm would have pushed him at me.
Fairly sure I've seen an Internet Historian vid before, can't recall having opinions on him.
Used to like Cinemassacre back in the day, mostly for Monster Madness. Kind of sad to see him just reading someone else's script even if it weren't plagiarised.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
what i'm really interested in is how this video gets the ball rolling for the next few months or so and what more poo poo gets dredged up & spotlighted. as hbomb hints at the end, this is probably not a case of bad apples and is likely systemic across many forms of media, especially with the kind of money behind it

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Same. I wonder if other video plagiarists are worried now, or if they genuinely don’t know they’ve done plagiarism, like the denialism of an alcoholic.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Illuminaughtii is probably riding out contractually obligated ads. I don’t think the 90% drop in viewership is going to get those renewed when the money funnel dries up. She’s turbofucked long term.

The Tallerico video was cringe and funny but Somerton is downright malignant in just about everyway. Delete your account is the correct reaction to that brand of smug false information, plagiarism, misogyny, homophobia and general shitheadedness.

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

Heran Bago posted:

Cinemassacre and Illuminaughtii can probably just shut up, ride this out, and pump out videos. Their entrenched fans will think the accusations are made up or not that bad if true. The more critical viewers will dislike and comment "their mother is very proud", feeding the algorithm while the actual fans won't see or understand the criticism.

Iilluminaughtii is already trying to ride out her last scandal from the beginning of summer, and that's been going incredibly poorly. I seriously doubt she's going to weather both of these and would probably be better off reinventing herself (again) as a right wing commenter.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Coaaab posted:

what i'm really interested in is how this video gets the ball rolling for the next few months or so and what more poo poo gets dredged up & spotlighted. as hbomb hints at the end, this is probably not a case of bad apples and is likely systemic across many forms of media, especially with the kind of money behind it

On Todd's parallel takedown video he listed quotes from Somberton's editor that basically amounted to "yeah I just go by vibes and don't bother to fact check because I have to put out new videos so quickly." So he just came right out and said as much.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Heran Bago posted:

The best thing these creators could do for me, a viewer, is to quickly and clumsily respond directly to every accusation.

Cinemassacre will probably be fine. The plagiarism mentioned was a scandal for them over a year ago (there's at least 1 popular video talking about it from March of 2022), so this isn't really new to anyone who's in their fan base. Plus it was acknowledged (as weak as that acknowledgement was), the person responsible was fired, and as far as I know there haven't been any other instances of plagiarism found that would establish a pattern of behavior so there's no new cause for action here.

I think the only way there will be repercussions from this video is if it encourages people to dig up new examples that were previous unknown or under-reported. Otherwise the people who are still enjoying their content will just keep trucking along.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Illuminaughti's views have plummeted since the scandal regarding her terrible behaviour. She's not gonna survive in her current form.

I love Hbomb reminds us that he's a goon when he mentioned good DC content. Snyder Cut and Teen Titans Go.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I got mixed feelings about hbomberguy's latest. First, it's ridiculously long and doesn't need to be. It could easily be half the length. Second, the cliches of the form are irritating me. There's a lot of pretended outrage and incredulous expressions. Which all the essayists do - but you've been researching this person for a year, have multiple cases of plagiarism and you're going to affect surprise I CAN'T BELIEVE IT for entertainment. Finally, some (just some) of the material seems shoehorned in. As in, Cinemamassacre is now commercialized and doesn't have the personal touch anymore and that disappoints you, but it's really beside the issue of plagiarism.

Flipside, this is overdue: there's such a volume of duplication on social media, from straight plagiarism all the way down to fuzzier forms of copying. If someone took on the true crime world, most podcasts and essayists would be exposed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nothing needs to be shorter or longer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't like 7 hour Dark Souls reviews but in this case the length was justified to reveal the sheer depth and ubiquity of Somerton's charlatanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of the things Hbomberguy highlights is the various times Somerton gets called out and how he dodges the allegations. The video’s length is essential in going scorched Earth on the guy. The addendum posted a day or two later is salt. One of the more fascinating parts of the video was analyzing the behavior of the various plagiarists after getting caught and their non-apologies.

Regardless, a movie or video essay’s length doesn’t need to be justified.