Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

nonathlon posted:

you've been researching this person for a year, have multiple cases of plagiarism and you're going to affect.

Its funny, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Pro tip: he's never actually surprised because everything he is talking about he saw months ago during the process of writing the script he is reading

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Nah. It's real essayist style book - shriek out loud, bulge your eyes and flap your arms that a minor YouTuber is kinda crap, like it's a complete outrage and surprise.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think it works because it properly conveys the emotion of "Jesus loving Christ it's even worse than that", allowing the viewer to experience the same feeling as someone who would have pieced it together themselves. Because you SHOULD be shocked and appalled that the guy did something so blatant and is only just now being caught for it.

Like you could probably make a more understated approach work but I appreciate it as comic timing. You KNOW worse is coming and he telegraphs it but even then it still hits because there's just so much there. For once the story is good enough that you can build it up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cynically and relentlessly stealing from the works of lesser known authors of marginalized identities to spread misinformation while personally enriching yourself is exactly the kind of thing you should reserve your moral googly eyes outrage for instead of like, having the wrong opinion about Dark Souls.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

nonathlon posted:

Nah. It's real essayist style book - shriek out loud, bulge your eyes and flap your arms that a minor YouTuber is kinda crap, like it's a complete outrage and surprise.

Two of the big YouTube he covered, Illuminaugtii(?) and Internet Historian, have millions of subscribers each. Somerton had 300k subs before his public murder.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nothing needs to be shorter or longer.
That's not what your mom said

Detective No. 27 posted:

One of the things Hbomberguy highlights is the various times Somerton gets called out and how he dodges the allegations. The video’s length is essential in going scorched Earth on the guy. The addendum posted a day or two later is salt. One of the more fascinating parts of the video was analyzing the behavior of the various plagiarists after getting caught and their non-apologies.

Regardless, a movie or video essay’s length doesn’t need to be justified.
Actually I do think that length of media needs to be justified. We all have limited amount of time available (for watching movies and, like, in general) so it's better if they can make the point effectively. I've seen plenty of 3 hour movies that didn't really need to be that long.

Buuut that said I think the video easily justified it. He sets up a few clear, relatively low stake examples like AVGN (that you could skip) before switching to the big boy king poo poo of plagiarism.

I've never heard of Somerton before, but at 300k subs he seems to be fairly influential in the queer community. And his plagiarism is just so obvious and damaging to the community and authors that I think he absolutely deserved to get destroyed properly.

Also I wonder if there were any warning signs about IH:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I wish hbomb made fun of ben shapiro with reasonable logic and facts instead of busting through the wall with an axe said nobody ever.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think it works because it properly conveys the emotion of "Jesus loving Christ it's even worse than that", allowing the viewer to experience the same feeling as someone who would have pieced it together themselves. Because you SHOULD be shocked and appalled that the guy did something so blatant and is only just now being caught for it.

Like you could probably make a more understated approach work but I appreciate it as comic timing. You KNOW worse is coming and he telegraphs it but even then it still hits because there's just so much there. For once the story is good enough that you can build it up.

The comedic timing clearly works, because I willingly sat through a 4 hour video essay that was 90% about people I'd never heard of before. Otherwise I don't think I'd have sat through even a tight 90 minute video about Somerton.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think a large point of the video is that the plagiarism isn't just bad from the angle of stealing work/money, but how it was used to spread misinformation by creating an undeserved reputation as a research expert (especially Somerton). And yeah it doesn't matter as much when it's over poo poo like Marvel Comics or Stan Lee but because Somerton's entire shtick was being the queer history guy it's actually outright harmful to spread narratives like lesbians historically getting away with everything scot free and gay men are the only ones who suffered from homophobia, or that gay marriage activists were all rich white elite who could be respectable to straight people.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 6, 2023

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

I think a large point of the video is that the plagiarism isn't just bad from the angle of stealing work/money, but how it was used to spread misinformation by creating an undeserved reputation as a research expert (especially Somerton). And yeah it doesn't matter as much when it's over poo poo like Marvel Comics or Stan Lee but because Somerton's entire shtick was being the queer history guy it's actually outright harmful to spread narratives like lesbians historically getting away with everything scot free and gay men are the only ones who suffered from homophobia, or that gay marriage activists were all rich white elite who could be respectable to straight people.

Not to mention the whole "The Nazis were really gay" bit.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Between hbomb and Todd's videos, it really seems like the dude has a Nazi fetish and it's gross as gently caress

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

mycot posted:

Yeah, it's caused a lot of misconceptions and as more people's knowledge base is internet content and internet content has branched out from reviewing pop culture to actual important things, this misinformation is going to be much, much worse. Pop culture talk is really easy because it's made for consumption and a lot of creators get started on that, since it's one of the most universal things left but there's a lot of history youtube content that's just.. uh, when they're not plagiarizing, they're just making poo poo up from what they heard somewhere, or from what they saw in a video game.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, it's caused a lot of misconceptions and as more people's knowledge base is internet content and internet content has branched out from reviewing pop culture to actual important things, this misinformation is going to be much, much worse. Pop culture talk is really easy because it's made for consumption and a lot of creators get started on that, since it's one of the most universal things left but there's a lot of history youtube content that's just.. uh, when they're not plagiarizing, they're just making poo poo up from what they heard somewhere, or from what they saw in a video game.

Wait, video games aren’t a trusted source? So Hitler didn’t actually have a mecha suit with 4 chain guns attached? No wonder why I failed history!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mobby_6kl posted:

That's not what your mom said

That is what my mom said.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
James Somerton sticks out to me because I had never heard of him until this week but I had definitely heard some of his bad takes coming from queer friends. I’m just a dumb cisgender straight guy so I was unable to recognize how harmful of a take “all the fun gays died from aids” was. And it was coming from gay friends! Who knows how far his bad opinions circulated.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I had no idea who this guy was but I do remember some of his tweets like his deranged sex work should be subsidized as a mental health service. Like what the gently caress lol

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I had no idea who this guy was but I do remember some of his tweets like his deranged sex work should be subsidized as a mental health service. Like what the gently caress lol

Oh gently caress that was him lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Another thing that struck me about Somerton watching Todd's video is that he seems to be attempting to use the same style and affectation as Abigail Thorn (Philosophy Tube) does in her videos. Specifically in the Janelle Monae section as well as some leaks of his Utena video, he is dressing in flamboyant garb but also using the same sort of soft-spoken, semi-flirty and drawling tone that immediately made me think of Abigail's delivery, although of course with like 0 actual charisma to pull it off.

What stuck out as well is H.Bomb's point that Somerton and Illuminaughtii are at heart business/marketing people who have zero respect for creatives. It reminds me of a similar video shared about CinemaSins, how before starting their series they were video marketing guys whose key point of focus was analytics on what drove the most views, and that simultaneously they were the kind of people who bragged about pissing off their friends and co-workers by acting like RiffTrax during movies.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hbomberguy is my favorite youtuber of all time but I have never heard of any of the other people in this thread's OP. Time to watch some videos.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDtO2jsosS0

Great channel that's mostly Beatles-centric, but really well done. His epic videos on the solo discographies are wonderful, too.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Ian Carsia aka K.waste changed his channel's name back to Devotional Criticism, so some old links might not work (at least one of my bookmarks didn't)

https://youtube.com/@devotionalcriticism?si=DBA_twD3FpYQefi3

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dang Somerton took down his YouTube now

He deleted everything else but I figured he’d leave the YouTube up to collect ad revenue from curious onlookers

Maybe he was concerned it would be used as evidence in a claim

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

Dang Somerton took down his YouTube now

He deleted everything else but I figured he’d leave the YouTube up to collect ad revenue from curious onlookers

Maybe he was concerned it would be used as evidence in a claim
Probably too late to hide evidence now!

One takeaway for me is that I mostly watch youtubes for entartainment and not at all critically. Even if it's actually to learn something I don't check anyone's claims or sources even if they include them. It's entirely trust-based and unless I'm very familiar with the topic already, it's very unlikely I'd notice if anything is stolen or untrue. Like Wendoever could be just making poo poo up about airlines this entire time and I'd never know.

Todd actually addresses it at the end of his video. Which tbh is also a lot of "no way, this has to be bullshit" and of course it'd be difficult to prove a negative like "Nazi fitness culture had no impact on the US" when Somerton never gave specific sources or facts to disprove.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's true you can't prove a negative, however you can point to the evidence that contradicts it.

I admittedly haven't watched the Sommerton's body building vid, but I can surmise by his inclusion of the claim that Russian soldiers weren't the source of inspiration that the timeline has to be post-WWI (Nazi party formed in 1920) and post-USSR entering WW2 (1939).

Now here's the thing! There are multiple, multiple, multiple accounts from Allied soldiers (and even some Axis!) of being impressed/inspired by/jealous/pissed about how strong and healthy the American troops were since they were essentially a fresh injection into a war-ravaged body. American troops developed a reputation for stealing girlfriends and, anybody correct me if I'm misremembering, this specific detail contributed to the Australian slang "seppo." This reputation carried over into the Korean War, so now we're well past Nazi dissolution.

That gives us roughly a 3 year span for Americans to go from being so inspired by Nazis that they develop bodybuilding culture to being widely notable for their fitness and health in WW2. ALSO OF NOTE! The American propaganda machine would be in full swing, idealizing the American soldier into absurdity and reviling the Nazis into non-humanity. It would continue to elevate the American soldier for next 20-30 years.

All this to say: Sommerton's claim's a bit of a stretch.

(This is a post on a message board from things I remember reading over the last 20 years. I didn't look up poo poo. Anyone feel free to correct me!)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Das Boo posted:

Now here's the thing! There are multiple, multiple, multiple accounts from Allied soldiers (and even some Axis!) of being impressed/inspired by/jealous/pissed about how strong and healthy the American troops were since they were essentially a fresh injection into a war-ravaged body. American troops developed a reputation for stealing girlfriends and, anybody correct me if I'm misremembering, this specific detail contributed to the Australian slang "seppo." This reputation carried over into the Korean War, so now we're well past Nazi dissolution.

This is at least true as far as I know in the UK too, to the point where there was even a slang term for women falling for GIs that were stationed here, "going khaki wacky".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Someone explain the etymology of seppo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is it creator scandal season? The indie fiction book space is blowing up about a 31 page google doc exposing an author who used sock puppet accounts to review bomb other authors who were all set to debut next year

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

Someone explain the etymology of seppo

Seppo - Septic Tank - Yank

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS2emKDlGmE

jakey getting more artistic with his style in this one. i'm sensing some bo burnham "inside" inspiration here

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ccs posted:

Hbomberguy is my favorite youtuber of all time but I have never heard of any of the other people in this thread's OP. Time to watch some videos.

I hope you'll find something you really like! Several CD goons and I worked pretty hard curating that list. I tried to include people with new or different takes and not just default to the same old list of breadtube/former channel awesome folks that usually fill people's recommendations. :cheers:

mobby_6kl posted:

One takeaway for me is that I mostly watch youtubes for entartainment and not at all critically. Even if it's actually to learn something I don't check anyone's claims or sources even if they include them. It's entirely trust-based and unless I'm very familiar with the topic already, it's very unlikely I'd notice if anything is stolen or untrue. Like Wendoever could be just making poo poo up about airlines this entire time and I'd never know.

I've been thinking about this very thing a lot lately. Misinfo spreads like wild fire over youtube because some big youtuber says something wrong but "truthy" sounding, so their fans endlessly repeat it, and it just sort of becomes accepted as truth because people have heard it 10 million times. It's definitely made me a lot more critical of the few YouTubers I still watch. I always have my guard up nowadays and never just accept or repeat something because a YouTuber told me, at least not without verifying it myself.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VToXKOOK4mw

https://x.com/jessiegender/status/1737644295719674363?s=46

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
lol

https://x.com/lordravenscraft/status/1737694974576091217?s=46

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress is the apology video 34 minutes long

I know this resulted from a four-hour exposé but really how

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Welp looks like he took down his apology

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

lol

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The Talented Mr Ripley as the subject for his comeback video?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

How the gently caress is the apology video 34 minutes long

He took some ukulele lessons.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I watched Jessie Gender's response to Somerton's apology because watching people apologize makes me wildly uncomfortable. They mentioned Somerton being lovely to the ace community and namedropped The Ace Couple, so I've found a new essay channel to look into!

I somehow completely missed a dude I watched really disliking me for being a white, ace woman. Hindsight makes it so obvious! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Steve Yun posted:

It was probably plagiarized