Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly i think the most compelling aspect is less the drama and just the commentary on how much youtube material is just pig slop, like, reaction videos, or reactions to reaction videos, even when it's not outright plagiarism. Reading off a news article for five minutes, gotta keep that video coming out every day for the youtube bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cemetry Gator posted:

Part of me also feels like it highlights the dangerous parasocial relationships people form with these content creators. It’s not a YouTube Channel, it’s my friend who I know and we share something in common! And if Hbomberguy and me meet in real life, we would be best buddies and get on perfectly even though I know something about him and he knows nothing about me!

People do defend these people even when their laziness is brought forward because of that. They’ll stand by them. It probably was a mistake. Or something that happened one time! Or it wasn’t plagiarism, it was just a misunderstanding! And it’s hard!

I think the parasocial aspects are how you get people to be interested in watching a creator read something or watching a creator do something banal that can be done once or twice a day to maximize youtube revenue.

Deep Lore Analysis videos are just people reading wikis, for example.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

mycot posted:

I think a large point of the video is that the plagiarism isn't just bad from the angle of stealing work/money, but how it was used to spread misinformation by creating an undeserved reputation as a research expert (especially Somerton). And yeah it doesn't matter as much when it's over poo poo like Marvel Comics or Stan Lee but because Somerton's entire shtick was being the queer history guy it's actually outright harmful to spread narratives like lesbians historically getting away with everything scot free and gay men are the only ones who suffered from homophobia, or that gay marriage activists were all rich white elite who could be respectable to straight people.

Yeah, it's caused a lot of misconceptions and as more people's knowledge base is internet content and internet content has branched out from reviewing pop culture to actual important things, this misinformation is going to be much, much worse. Pop culture talk is really easy because it's made for consumption and a lot of creators get started on that, since it's one of the most universal things left but there's a lot of history youtube content that's just.. uh, when they're not plagiarizing, they're just making poo poo up from what they heard somewhere, or from what they saw in a video game.