Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Tallarico one is a bit hard to watch because yeah we’ve all known people like that and they’re exhausting because that’s their entire MO. Every waking moment they’re selling something.

It also came out on the same day as Defunctland's episode on the Disney Channel's theme, and boy was that a ride watch them back to back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Heran Bago posted:

Cinemassacre and Illuminaughtii can probably just shut up, ride this out, and pump out videos. Their entrenched fans will think the accusations are made up or not that bad if true. The more critical viewers will dislike and comment "their mother is very proud", feeding the algorithm while the actual fans won't see or understand the criticism.

The best thing these creators could do for me, a viewer, is to quickly and clumsily respond directly to every accusation.

Cinemassacre will probably be fine. The plagiarism mentioned was a scandal for them over a year ago (there's at least 1 popular video talking about it from March of 2022), so this isn't really new to anyone who's in their fan base. Plus it was acknowledged (as weak as that acknowledgement was), the person responsible was fired, and as far as I know there haven't been any other instances of plagiarism found that would establish a pattern of behavior so there's no new cause for action here.

I think the only way there will be repercussions from this video is if it encourages people to dig up new examples that were previous unknown or under-reported. Otherwise the people who are still enjoying their content will just keep trucking along.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think it works because it properly conveys the emotion of "Jesus loving Christ it's even worse than that", allowing the viewer to experience the same feeling as someone who would have pieced it together themselves. Because you SHOULD be shocked and appalled that the guy did something so blatant and is only just now being caught for it.

Like you could probably make a more understated approach work but I appreciate it as comic timing. You KNOW worse is coming and he telegraphs it but even then it still hits because there's just so much there. For once the story is good enough that you can build it up.

The comedic timing clearly works, because I willingly sat through a 4 hour video essay that was 90% about people I'd never heard of before. Otherwise I don't think I'd have sat through even a tight 90 minute video about Somerton.