Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

McCloud posted:

Apparently disgraced CineD poster Dan Ohlsen aka Folding Ideas made a video about WoW, does anyone know if its any good?
Wait the Folding Ideas and Hbomberguy are both goons!?

Generally I love his stuff but stopped the video like 15 minutes in. I was never into WoW and was like nah I don't need to watch an hour and a half of this. Maybe once if I'm really bored.

I think I might've seen Eric Jacobus in the action thread. I've only seen the most recent few videos which seem to be different from early stuff but it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9XTAyoYv1c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo I had no idea Cinemassacre outsourced everything to some plagarist fucks at some point. I stopped watching regularly like a decade ago probably, by just slowly losing interest. But that's really terrifying to what some guy's honest personal opinions turned into.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Screenwave sucks but to be clear, it was just one of them and they fired him immediately after it came to light.

The Hbomberguy video was amazing, though I kinda wish it was released either a week earlier or later. It’s taking the attention away from the massive charity fraud scheme done by Jirard Khalil aka The Completionist and his family.
Yeah you're right. But they gave me some bad vibes trying to pass it off as "some new guy" that "accidentally copied entire reviews" but it's probably just standard damage control PR they didn't pull off smoothly

The video is great. I still haven't finished it but it's incredible how he managed to hype me up about the Cave video even though I've never heard of it or watched a single Internet Historian video before (pretty sure I've seen his stuff pop up though).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Oh yeah must've definitely had the Concordia video recommended but don't think I ever watched it

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Still don’t know who this completionist guy is
Yeah when it first popped up a few weeks (?) ago I haven't heard of him, the channel, or the youtubers exposing his poo poo. It was good content though :suspense:

So I'm curious about this update as well. I think the internet can handle multiple main characters at the same time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just checked the Roblox a year after watching it. There's a post that claims that Tommy disappeared after the video dropped:

quote:

So just an update since its been over a year since this video has been live:
Tommy has been M.I.A ever since this dropped. Literally. Not a tweet. Not an interview. Nothing. Complete silence. Gone with the wind. Absolute insane levels of dissappearance.
lol.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nothing needs to be shorter or longer.
That's not what your mom said

Detective No. 27 posted:

One of the things Hbomberguy highlights is the various times Somerton gets called out and how he dodges the allegations. The video’s length is essential in going scorched Earth on the guy. The addendum posted a day or two later is salt. One of the more fascinating parts of the video was analyzing the behavior of the various plagiarists after getting caught and their non-apologies.

Regardless, a movie or video essay’s length doesn’t need to be justified.
Actually I do think that length of media needs to be justified. We all have limited amount of time available (for watching movies and, like, in general) so it's better if they can make the point effectively. I've seen plenty of 3 hour movies that didn't really need to be that long.

Buuut that said I think the video easily justified it. He sets up a few clear, relatively low stake examples like AVGN (that you could skip) before switching to the big boy king poo poo of plagiarism.

I've never heard of Somerton before, but at 300k subs he seems to be fairly influential in the queer community. And his plagiarism is just so obvious and damaging to the community and authors that I think he absolutely deserved to get destroyed properly.

Also I wonder if there were any warning signs about IH:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

Dang Somerton took down his YouTube now

He deleted everything else but I figured he’d leave the YouTube up to collect ad revenue from curious onlookers

Maybe he was concerned it would be used as evidence in a claim
Probably too late to hide evidence now!

One takeaway for me is that I mostly watch youtubes for entartainment and not at all critically. Even if it's actually to learn something I don't check anyone's claims or sources even if they include them. It's entirely trust-based and unless I'm very familiar with the topic already, it's very unlikely I'd notice if anything is stolen or untrue. Like Wendoever could be just making poo poo up about airlines this entire time and I'd never know.

Todd actually addresses it at the end of his video. Which tbh is also a lot of "no way, this has to be bullshit" and of course it'd be difficult to prove a negative like "Nazi fitness culture had no impact on the US" when Somerton never gave specific sources or facts to disprove.