Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I'm a big fan of this one. It's not a defense of Rise of Skywalker so much as it is an educated guess of how it probably got so messed up from someone with experience in the industry, and no the answer isn't as simple as "JJ is a hack."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBExyfw8mXk

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hbomberguy videos be like “here’s some guy you’ve never heard of and six hours of incontrovertible proof that they’re an unbelievable piece of poo poo. They will never post again”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Did Somerton just turn off comments lol

Before the Hbomb video had been out for the length of its own runtime, Somerton had already deleted his Twitter account, shut down his community Discord server, and put out a “I hope to earn your trust back” apology on his Patreon.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

What can you even say/do when you get obliterated that thoroughly? You can't dismiss the claims because hbomberguy has video/text evidence for every single point he makes.

Well, in Filip Miucin’s case, he had some odd jobs doing articles for clickfarming sites before he eventually ended up where he is now doing video editing for Microsoft. But Miucin, as much of a hack as he was, had legit editing skills he built and Somerton can barely put together prebought After Effects assets.

cake bunny posted:

Finished the Hbomberguy video on Somerton, then watched the Todd in the Shadows one as well.

It's funny, I always thought Somerton was a smug prick who wasn't as smart as he thought he was since I'd clock blatant incorrect info in videos of his sometimes, and I never really bought his attempts to say he didn't have a problem with women or trans folks, but I guess I always chalked it up to him being kind of up his own rear end. I didn't watch his stuff very often or very critically because he didn't really put his sources out there and I can only stomach so much smugness and/or thinly veiled catty misogyny/bi erasure/trans erasure in a video about stuff like vampires or a goddamn ice skating anime, so I didn't give his work too much weight, but I was still taken kind of by surprise at the sheer loving scale of it all. Like, drat, the audacity is really impressive. I feel really bad for the queer writers he stole so much from and all of the people who were giving him cash thinking they were supporting important queer media creation.

This is what’s striking about Somerton to me - even if he didn’t plagiarize seemingly the majority of his content, he’s a dipshit who’s constantly getting poo poo wrong, has wild-rear end horrible takes, can’t light or film anything halfway interesting, he’s a terrible presenter who is actively unpleasant to listen to, he is the smuggest man I’ve ever seen and for Breadtube that’s loving saying something, and to top it all off he’s a loving Disney Adult who uses these falsehoods and stolen work to carry water for loving Bob Iger. I truly can’t find a single thing to like about the man. Todd in the Shadows was being inflammatory when he called Somerton “the worst video essayist ever” but he has a strong case for being right.