Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Oh yeah must've definitely had the Concordia video recommended but don't think I ever watched it

It and the cave video are very interesting and well-paced. Possibly because they were plagiarized, which loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's true you can't prove a negative, however you can point to the evidence that contradicts it.

I admittedly haven't watched the Sommerton's body building vid, but I can surmise by his inclusion of the claim that Russian soldiers weren't the source of inspiration that the timeline has to be post-WWI (Nazi party formed in 1920) and post-USSR entering WW2 (1939).

Now here's the thing! There are multiple, multiple, multiple accounts from Allied soldiers (and even some Axis!) of being impressed/inspired by/jealous/pissed about how strong and healthy the American troops were since they were essentially a fresh injection into a war-ravaged body. American troops developed a reputation for stealing girlfriends and, anybody correct me if I'm misremembering, this specific detail contributed to the Australian slang "seppo." This reputation carried over into the Korean War, so now we're well past Nazi dissolution.

That gives us roughly a 3 year span for Americans to go from being so inspired by Nazis that they develop bodybuilding culture to being widely notable for their fitness and health in WW2. ALSO OF NOTE! The American propaganda machine would be in full swing, idealizing the American soldier into absurdity and reviling the Nazis into non-humanity. It would continue to elevate the American soldier for next 20-30 years.

All this to say: Sommerton's claim's a bit of a stretch.

(This is a post on a message board from things I remember reading over the last 20 years. I didn't look up poo poo. Anyone feel free to correct me!)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I watched Jessie Gender's response to Somerton's apology because watching people apologize makes me wildly uncomfortable. They mentioned Somerton being lovely to the ace community and namedropped The Ace Couple, so I've found a new essay channel to look into!

I somehow completely missed a dude I watched really disliking me for being a white, ace woman. Hindsight makes it so obvious! :downs: