Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Welcome to the Cinema Discusso Video Essayist Lounge! This is a nice chill thread for video essays, prose essays, reviews, retrospectives, blog posts, discussions, and tweets (though hopefully not too many tweets) about film and other arts. This is NOT the place to do sick owns on your posting enemies for the crime of having bad media opinions. There's plenty of other places on SA for that. Rather, this thread is for good faith discussion on media analysis and critics.

While this thread is mostly about film analysis videos, it's important to recognize that Internet videos are part of the cinematic lineage: the techniques used by many creators like Jon Bois were not created out of nothing, but have a history in documentary and essay filmmaking. In that spirit, this thread shouldn't be strict about film relevance: videos about games or sports or music can have just as much to discuss cinematically as videos about movies.

Thread rules

1 The golden rule, be excellent to one another! Try to disagree respectfully. Don't call someone a nazi, a pedophile or an idiot because they like or dislike a piece of media you don't/do. Please be chill.

2 Assume good faith as the default. Assuming bad faith usually leads to snarky attempts to own people instead of productive discussion. If you genuinely believe someone is arguing in bad faith, report their post and let a mod handle it.

3. This thread is primarily for discussing the content of the essays posted. While social media posts can provide context and clarify points, they should not be the main topic of conversation unless circumstances demand it. If you're looking to discuss a particularly infuriating twitter thread by Movie Bob, GBS's Idiots On Social Media thread would be a more appropriate venue.

The official CD VEL thread recommendations:

Hbomberguy
A fellow goon who makes some of the best video essays of all time. Probably most famous for his X is Genius/Garbage, and heres why series. Definitely check out his Fallout New Vegas and Pathologic is Genius videos, as well as his Scanline series! We all wait with bated breath for him to do his series on the Star Wars Prequels and Zack Snyder's filmography :sickos:

Noah Gervais
Possible the greatest creator of long form video game critic available online!

Josh04/Josh McNamee
Regular poster and irregular video maker releases one essay roughly every three years, but always worth the wait. :allears:

Gwendolyn Jae Stone
Film essayist who made the fantastic "The people V Snyder" video.

Games As Literature
Video essay series that analyzes video games with an emphasis on games' interactive storytelling.

The Worm's Hole
Youtube media essayist whose videos discuss topics ranging from capeshit to the Sopranos.

Empire Wreckers
Made by our resident goon Robot style, so far there's only 3 videos, but they're all great and well worth your time. Check them out!

More recommendations from our fellow CD goons!

Yhara Zayd
"Mostly film-focused video essayist that covers a wide range of movies from teen comedies to horror."
-Flying Zamboni

Broey Deschanel
"Essayist in the same vein as Yhara Zayd"
-Equeen

Film Critters
"Primarily a film podcast by two queer creators discussing current releases and throwbacks. They also create intermittent video essays, like their excellent Fight Club analysis video."
-I before E

In Praise of Shadows
"Really good videos on horror stuff."
-Flying Zamboni

Skip Intro
"Makes great, decently paced videos on TV shows."
-Equeen

Dark Corners Reviews
"Mostly horror-focused channel that puts out a wide range of content. Their most frequent videos are usually under 10 minute light hearted reviews of very trashy movies. They also do short "streaming reviews" of stuff that's out there that they actually like. These are fun, but what made me really like the channel are their short documentaries digging into various classic horror films that display a pretty clear enthusiasm and love of film."
-Flying Zamboni

Hats Off Entertainment
"Less serious than many on the list, both in style and subject, this channel focuses on retrospectives of forgotten and misbegotten comedy features, as well as remembrances of departed comic actors."
-I before E

The Armchair Auteur
"Recently came off of a hiatus and puts out nice, concise reviews of movies with occasional reviews of older stuff he likes. His overview of the many failed attempts at getting a movie about The Flash off the ground is a good watch."
-Flying Zamboni

Feel free to post your own recommendations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Huge thanks to I before E, Josh04, Jimbot, Equeen, Flying Zamboni, and the rest of CD discord gang for helping me make the OP and for giving feedback on the idea for this thread.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ghosthotel posted:

A good thread for good posts

Hell yeah! :cheers:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Glad folks seem excited for the thread! :unsmith:

Anyway, Mega64 just released the next DBZ saga in 5 minutes! This one features a ton of cameos like Hideki Kamiya, Gabe Newell, and Hideo Kojima! EDIT: just realized this may not be the best place to post this vid because its not a video essay, just a silly sketch, but oh well lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A8YRRnpMm8&ab_channel=Mega64

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 9, 2022

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

josh04 posted:

Thank you for the kind mention in the OP! To show my gratitude, I got off my rear end and made a video, which I'm sure will get copyright struck any minute now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRK-2X1R2OY

Shamelessly double posting here but I just wanted to say excellent work as always, Josh! :sickos:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

A short and sweet video essay about Fallout 1's opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMLPQnsIDLs&ab_channel=TheWorm%27sHole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ccs posted:

Hbomberguy is my favorite youtuber of all time but I have never heard of any of the other people in this thread's OP. Time to watch some videos.

I hope you'll find something you really like! Several CD goons and I worked pretty hard curating that list. I tried to include people with new or different takes and not just default to the same old list of breadtube/former channel awesome folks that usually fill people's recommendations. :cheers:

mobby_6kl posted:

One takeaway for me is that I mostly watch youtubes for entartainment and not at all critically. Even if it's actually to learn something I don't check anyone's claims or sources even if they include them. It's entirely trust-based and unless I'm very familiar with the topic already, it's very unlikely I'd notice if anything is stolen or untrue. Like Wendoever could be just making poo poo up about airlines this entire time and I'd never know.

I've been thinking about this very thing a lot lately. Misinfo spreads like wild fire over youtube because some big youtuber says something wrong but "truthy" sounding, so their fans endlessly repeat it, and it just sort of becomes accepted as truth because people have heard it 10 million times. It's definitely made me a lot more critical of the few YouTubers I still watch. I always have my guard up nowadays and never just accept or repeat something because a YouTuber told me, at least not without verifying it myself.