Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
I'm going to link a channel, rather than any one specific video, and explain the content which is about as "good faith" as it gets.

Minor series:
  • On mecha: Going into specific aspects of mecha storytelling, and their place in culture historically
  • On mechanical design: going into specific types or subtypes of fictional industrial design, representation, directing style and storytelling
  • On media: The problems with the discussion of the genre, and how it harms the genre
  • On mecha designers: Going into the habits of illustrators and designers, their influences, psychology and then how they then influenced others

Major series:
  • Destruction: Explaining why mecha can't ever be
  • Rebirth: Considering why they could be
  • Revenge: An attempt to make an entirely original mecha video work, and a documentation of that process and its difficulties.

I'll only post two videos, as to not overwhelm you but if you like giant robots in any form, this is essentially academic writing.

Its incredibly niche but if you like any kind of science fiction, almost all of the principles discussed here can be applied unilaterally elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO9bL6OF12w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tif1H7WwesA

The examples themselves tend to be medium agnostic, and are more concerned with the concepts of how objects and directing is used, or how motion and shape are used. This is a language and format I don't really see in the anime community, and I think is taken from the cinema and film community so I feel it has a place here.

I don't know if Argonbolt himself is a goon, but I suspect he is. I do not know if he posts his work here.
AB, if you're out there, say hi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU