Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Looking forward to a bunch of posts full of rad videos to watch when I get back from vacation, contributions all look great so far :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I've been neglecting the heck out of this thread since it dropped while I was on vacation.

A quick one, Joel Haver firing a shot at Disney for just churning out shows and movies for everything in their IP farm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVD-zD4vJGw

I wouldn't necessarily consider Haver a video essayist but he obviously loves the art of filmmaking, has done movie making challenges the past few years for Oscar season. He had created a channel just to do more of a movie opinions thing but I can't find that channel or the announcement so maybe he abandoned that idea??

Also Jack Saint is back after a long hiatus; I find him notable especially because he seems one of the few left wing YouTubers who has done some critique on the politics of the MCU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t7JIlALCTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPlag_PvqAk

Not sure if he will get back this type of media criticism but was impressed by these previous ones, so here's hoping!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

I wouldn't necessarily consider Haver a video essayist but he obviously loves the art of filmmaking, has done movie making challenges the past few years for Oscar season. He had created a channel just to do more of a movie opinions thing but I can't find that channel or the announcement so maybe he abandoned that idea??

So I found this channel after not being able to find it for some reason!:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTy7s81ii4fe4xNMGFNwYxA

What's great is it's actually a lot of older/foreign movies, thought I do wish he would do more analysis since it's mostly just fairly short videos where he talks really generally about why he likes them. On the other hand it's refreshing to watch a young talented YouTuber talk for 5-10 minutes about John Cassavetes or Paris, Texas as a contrast to the absolute glut of dudes ranting about Disney Star Wars movies for 10+ hours per movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

josh04 posted:

when you're a colour pro you get to use the bonus letter, that's just how it is

The “u” is for “ultraviolet” which only bees and filmmakers can see

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Another thing that struck me about Somerton watching Todd's video is that he seems to be attempting to use the same style and affectation as Abigail Thorn (Philosophy Tube) does in her videos. Specifically in the Janelle Monae section as well as some leaks of his Utena video, he is dressing in flamboyant garb but also using the same sort of soft-spoken, semi-flirty and drawling tone that immediately made me think of Abigail's delivery, although of course with like 0 actual charisma to pull it off.

What stuck out as well is H.Bomb's point that Somerton and Illuminaughtii are at heart business/marketing people who have zero respect for creatives. It reminds me of a similar video shared about CinemaSins, how before starting their series they were video marketing guys whose key point of focus was analytics on what drove the most views, and that simultaneously they were the kind of people who bragged about pissing off their friends and co-workers by acting like RiffTrax during movies.