Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I got mixed feelings about hbomberguy's latest. First, it's ridiculously long and doesn't need to be. It could easily be half the length. Second, the cliches of the form are irritating me. There's a lot of pretended outrage and incredulous expressions. Which all the essayists do - but you've been researching this person for a year, have multiple cases of plagiarism and you're going to affect surprise I CAN'T BELIEVE IT for entertainment. Finally, some (just some) of the material seems shoehorned in. As in, Cinemamassacre is now commercialized and doesn't have the personal touch anymore and that disappoints you, but it's really beside the issue of plagiarism.

Flipside, this is overdue: there's such a volume of duplication on social media, from straight plagiarism all the way down to fuzzier forms of copying. If someone took on the true crime world, most podcasts and essayists would be exposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Nah. It's real essayist style book - shriek out loud, bulge your eyes and flap your arms that a minor YouTuber is kinda crap, like it's a complete outrage and surprise.