Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Man, i remember printing out the sample decks from the Descipher web site for the LotR CCG and never actually understanding how to play it. because the rules are pretty complex.

Also I had starter packs (2 deck sets) I think I got free from conventions for MLB showdown (which I never really played since I wasn't following baseball any more) and the Harry Potter CCG (which I think is still being made? I can't tell if this is a new game). I also had random single cards from the DBZ and Yuyu hakusho CCGs, I think from magazines (Shonen Jump?), but I never played those games.

Also, I think Quickstrike (which had a sort of zero-sum energy system like the LotR CCG) and UFS (including Penny Arcade) belong on this list. I had a bunch of sets for both games, and played it a few times.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Aniodia posted:

Beg to disagree. While it has changed owners and names too many fuckin times, the game system now known as UniVersus is currently used as the base for the My Hero Academia TCG. Additionally, while MHA is really only the current IP being printed for the game (afaict, anyway), they are fully compatible with all of the older UFS cards, as per Jasco Games directly.

Doesn't make it any less obtuse to me, though. Saw a couple hundred people playing at Origins last June, and just could not understand a drat thing.

Oh, i didn't realize it was used for the HMA game, I'd saw that on shelves, but didn't know anything of how to play.

I remember UFS being mildly complicated, but not overly so, but maybe they've added more to the complexity of cards/mechanics with MHA.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Polly Toodle posted:

STAR TREK CCG: 2E
There's my brief introduction to the Star Trek CCG 2E, writing that up was fun since I haven't really dug into the game much in recent years.

The idea of a game as more a freeform storytelling engine rather than competative game is interesting, I've been toying with making a possibly constructed deck game of some kind mostly for fun, and the idea of it telling stories in a world rather on focusing on making it a competitive game is a neat idea I've been toying with. (this one is a cyberpunk(?) sort of world inspired by the 20001 Metropolis anime movie and the Akira Manga.)

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I hope this is interesting, but in the spirit of :justpost: ...

This is probably pretty fringe, a brand new card game (just released a few days ago, and arrived by mail today) by a streamer, Jerma985: Grotto Beasts!

Who is Jerma985?
Jerma985 is an goofball streamer who not only streams playing games, but is known for unusual streams, like hosting a carnival where chat gets to control the games (including a dunk tank) or a game of the sims in a house set where he's the sim and chat can control the action through polls, or an archelogy (actually geology) stream where he digs up rocks and old trading cards in the desert (the origins of this game).

So What is Grotto Beasts?
It is a 2-player head to head game, sort of similar in the vein of games like Pokemon TCG or Magic the gathering, though has a bit of different rules.

The 2-player starter pack came in a little box.

The boxes comes with 2 decks and 2 booster packs.

Also, Jerma dice, and two plastic play mats/

Gameplay
A lot of the gameplay will be familiar with people who've played a TCG before. It has summoning sickness ("summoning sadness") and tapping ("Resting") and attack phases and defending.

But one unique thing about how the game plays is how you pay for cards. You pay the cost of playing cards in your hand to a "summoning pool", and then your opponent draws that many cards from their own summoning pool (or remaining from their deck if there aren't enough in their pool). After the first summon in a turn there must be at least one card in your opponent's pool to play a card. This gives the game an interesting "give and take" resource mechanic.

How do you win?
Another major way the game is different is how you win. You don't have life points, but instead any excess damage you score by scoring cards, placing cards from the top of your deck into the scoring pile The first to score 10 in a standard game wins.

There are also variant rules that use "Challengers", sort of like commander in MTG. These also can attack, but have an adjusted different goal number of cards you need to score to win.

Deckbuilding
The rules for deckbuilding are pretty simple, max 3 of a kind of card, but you can only have one type of card that's marked "epic" (but can have up to 3 of that card).

More details of how to play can be found on the official grotto beasts youtube channel. (https://www.youtube.com/@grottobeasts)

I haven't gotten a chance to play yet, but it looks neat, and I'm looking foreword to giving it go, I'm going to bring it with me to a con this weekend.I'll give a battle report once I play it.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 4, 2023

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I got to play two games this weakened at the con. Overall, I like the game, though I think the game isn't very interesting just using the prebuilt decks, it feels like there's a lot of luck in getting good cards for the moment, but think that's true with most if not all TCGs.

There is some interesting comboing you can do in the base decks though.

The back and forth payment mechanic is interesting, but there's no sort of "push your luck" element of not wanting to give over a certain amount to your opponent. You either pay more for better/more stuff or you don't. I guess it makes sense that there needs to be some way cards are pulled from a pool (discarding cards to pay would be annoying), and so this way is the one that makes the most sense, but it does feel awkward. I like that it's not typical energy cards. (I always hated that in MTG).

The worst aspect I'd say is remembering that you can't play a card if your opponent's summoning pool is empty, except for the first card played in a turn. I can see why they did t, but it is a little annoying to remember.

I'd be interested in playing more, but also I want to get more cards and experiment with deckbuilding, though I would be more interested in getting more cards if I had someone else to trade with, but I might just wait until it's on a VTT instead.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

yeah, it's so it can immediately block. Hercules - True Hero from a earlier leak also has bodyguard.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

There's a few characters that have special abillities that match action cards. Beauty strange but special is definitely my favorite of the 1st set. I'm probbiyl going to build a saphire/amythist or saphire/steel deck as my first deck, and probibly include Tamatoa.

Giant tink is also very good.

(E: I feel like this game is going to have enough hype to have it's own thread)

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

i've heard it was a poo poo show with people waiting for hours in the wrong line at the wrong door (with no real indication it was the wrong door) and having to go to the back, and now the line for tomorrow morning started at 6 pm tonight (!?) I guess people are expected to camp out.

I'm very excited for this game, I'm planning on going to an release event on the 19th.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Randalor posted:

I've seen people complaining about Lorcana's card stock, saying it's thin and flimsy like regular paper but it's... fine? Pretty sure it's the same card stock as what they use in their board games. The cards are a bit lighter than Magic's, but when sleeved up I don't really notice a difference. Maybe they're a bit easier to shuffle than Magic cards.

Yeah, it seems fine to me, but I don't play a lot of TCGs. If you want bad, take a look/feel at the Civilization the Card game cards. I don't know how on earth those passed QA.Their just thin pieces of paper with barely any firmness to them. I feel like if I'd printed cards on cardstock at home they'd be better even. By far the worst quality components I've seen in a professionally published game by a big company/license.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I found even building with physical cards using a deckbuilding site like Lorcania (https://lorcania.com/deckbuilder) can be helpful. At the very least it gives you nice graphs on your ink costs and inkable/uninkable ratio.

Though from what I can tell the "Average ink per card" is nonsense. I can't tell what formula it's using, but it's way higher than it should be and I just use a Google Sheet to calculate my average ink/card.

I built two physical decks so far: a ruby/steel removal and an Amethyst/Sapphire ramp/draw.

Arivia posted:

Is there a Lorcana setup for goldfishing? I googled and found "If we goldfish with a theorical deck that curves a 1 lore card on turn 1, 2 lores on turn 2 etc the earliest win possible would be on T5. Realistically we're unlikely to see many cards that offer a lore to cost ratio of 1, so even the rushiest strategy shouldn't win before T6/7." in a random reddit post, but i don't know if that's an appropriate clock or not. Learning to goldfish/test against the goldfish is a helpful technique for building new decks.

I loved that article ("Fight your pets") for testing MTG decks when it first was publishred, and I've been trying to incorporate that into Lorcana tests. I had some ideas for tests based on Mickey + Brooms and Mirror + Queen with removal cards, but both feel a bit overly difficult to beat and maybe not great measures for testing decks and need adjusting.

Here are the scenarios:

Mickey's Brooms
In Play: Mickey, Wayword Sorcerer
Deck: 60x Magic Brooms.
Each turn, inks a broom unless all brooms in hand can be played. Brooms always just quests

Magic Mirror
In Play: The Queen, Wicked and Vain and Magic Mirror
Deck: 10x Smash!, 10x Break, 10x Grab Your Sword, 10x Fire the Cannon, 10x Goons!

Will ink a card if they can, and play Fire the Cannons or Smash against enemies (depending on remaining health of target) Grab Your swords if there's multiple enemies, Break if there is one of more items, or otherwise Goons. Goons always quest. The Queen always draws a card.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

that sounds awful, though someone on Discord is saying you get a point for each game won, so if it's 1-1 both players get a point, which maybe comes to about the same thing or is at best marginally better.