Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This episode is overall one of the most comedic and then it ends with that, christ
it made me cry... gay priest noooo :'(

Kurt out of the core cast has always been the one who I never cared too much about. Not that I actively dislike him, its just feels like a guy who is just sorta there... but god this episode did a lot to endear me to him. His phone call was one of the funniest moments of the show.

this ep was especially dense. i had no time to fully reckon with Kristen siccing capitalist It Follows demon on lovely dude (god she rules) before that ending :'(

e:

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just hope Kurt comes back, I like Kurt! Sheryl too, save yourself for the good of your granddaughters!

But after the stuff she’s done I dunno.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sheryl still feels like a wildcard to me. There is a lot of ambiguity with her still hasn't been explained, like there were all those hints she sorta isn't totally new to this. And the stuff with the Eddie dolls felt weirdly disconnected to Team Evil proper. I still buy she is in this to help her family somehow. Even the previous episode with her bringing Lexis to work I get why people felt she was crossing a line she hadn't before but it doesn't necessarily mean she is fully on Team Evil now. Checking to see if your granddaughter sees the dude as a demon is a good test either way.

She is always going to be selfish and a terrible person either way though, which is why she rules.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

drat, what an episode. And I've gotten used enough to binging through series that having to wait a week for the next one feels extra painful after an ending like that!

Is DF the company that Sheryl works for? Have we ever seen a name or anything? It definitely fits.

Related: I've just watched through The Good Wife (and have started The Good Fight) and I am not really a legal drama sort of person but goddamn what a good complicated morally uncomfortable show.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

docbeard posted:

Is DF the company that Sheryl works for? Have we ever seen a name or anything? It definitely fits.

The makob coin was one of the things listed on the website, so yeah same company

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
DF absolutely stands for Demon Fund, lmfao.

I honestly didn't enjoy the It Follows part of the story all that much, mostly because I honestly prefer the show when there's more of a scienc-y ambiguity to things, which this absolutely could not sustain in any way, shape or form, and because... well, it's just It Follows. I think I called it from the moment we saw the tin cans hanging on the door to that guy's yacht.

The Grace stuff was great though. I was worried they'd kill her off, and now they haven't. I hope she sticks around, she's great. Li Jun Li's weird little body movements when she throws the balls into the ball pit were just a gorgeous acting choice too.

No way Leland makes it out of next week's finale alive.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

I honestly didn't enjoy the It Follows part of the story all that much, mostly because I honestly prefer the show when there's more of a scienc-y ambiguity to things, which this absolutely could not sustain in any way, shape or form, and because... well, it's just It Follows. I think I called it from the moment we saw the tin cans hanging on the door to that guy's yacht.

The Grace stuff was great though. I was worried they'd kill her off, and now they haven't. I hope she sticks around, she's great. Li Jun Li's weird little body movements when she throws the balls into the ball pit were just a gorgeous acting choice too.

No way Leland makes it out of next week's finale alive.

Bold call, I really doubt they’d get rid of Michael Emerson. But they have written themselves into a bit of a corner what with the priest murdering. Don’t see how he could credibly hang around after that unless Grace is shown to be not a trustable witness.

I like it when Ben gets seriously freaked out, even more so than with the sacrifice cult. Almost as good as his elevator episode where I was really scared for his safety and mental well being in that one.

I really like Grace’s character too and how she draws strength from just being around kids. Nice to have some more unambiguous good.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Could just be Grace seeing the future and it hasnt happened yet tho.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I too hope Grace gets to stick around, but I could see them removing her from the picture again with the Vatican moving her to some place more secure after the events of the last episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Given the fakeout with thinking that Grace dies but then doesn't, I really hope they aren't doing another fakeout where the dad "comes home" but as a dead body because he died on the mountain on the fake expedition.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

See, interestingly, I actually thought the It Follows part of the story was extremely grounded within the scientific reading of the show: Their is a satanic cult that has started a corporation (DF) that has access to poo poo loads of money and the ability to hire top tier hackers, and as part of their operations a serial killer within their ranks has started a "DF it follows" meme.

This episode was very funny, but a little weaker than usual (until the final scene, wow).

lmao

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Rob Filter posted:

See, interestingly, I actually thought the It Follows part of the story was extremely grounded within the scientific reading of the show: Their is a satanic cult that has started a corporation (DF) that has access to poo poo loads of money and the ability to hire top tier hackers, and as part of their operations a serial killer within their ranks has started a "DF it follows" meme.

To add to this, we also already seen something that operates similar with Visiting Jack which was likely a DF meme too. The licks even lined up with the 7 deadly sins.

Grace is the one I have the most trouble figuring out a scientific reading for. Like it's too accurate and specific to be a cold reading thing I think. I guess god must be real....

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 8, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So thinking about it more DF is totally gearing up to purposefully tank their stock right? It has been my feeling the makob coin storyline would head in that direction.

So you set up theIt Follows meme, scare some people and kill a guy... And that actually gives the stock credence because well poo poo those people really did got rich even if there is a drawback... But now you know you just need to tell someone else about the stock to be safe. And that means more people are buying DF, and at this point you probably don't actually need to be actively scaring people for the meme cause mania will do the work for you.

And then DF crashes the stock and crypto at the zenith of the mania. More miserable people, more doom scrolling, evil wins.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

To add to this, we also already seen something that operates similar with Visiting Jack which was likely a DF meme too. The licks even lined up with the 7 deadly sins.

Grace is the one I have the most trouble figuring out a scientific reading for. Like it's too accurate and specific to be a cold reading thing I think. I guess god must be real....

I think the show's gone to the "some people are just REALLY REALLY intuitive and mistake that for something supernatural" well before (possibly even in the episode that introduced Grace, though I don't recall for sure) so by show logic she still kind of works but it's a stretch. (That's kind of part of the fun though.) I think that really works best for the drawings; figuring out something that would fit with the missing bits of the manuscript seems a lot more credible than predicting the future based on...I dunno...stuff.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

docbeard posted:

I think the show's gone to the "some people are just REALLY REALLY intuitive and mistake that for something supernatural" well before (possibly even in the episode that introduced Grace, though I don't recall for sure) so by show logic she still kind of works but it's a stretch. (That's kind of part of the fun though.) I think that really works best for the drawings; figuring out something that would fit with the missing bits of the manuscript seems a lot more credible than predicting the future based on...I dunno...stuff.

Yeah, those church guys are kinda rubes, desperate to believe anything, they could pretty easily be fooled. Did anyone think that some of the stuff she drew was super voynich-y, like:

Ball pit drawing-

Voynich flowers

The voynich manuscript being an old mysterious book that seems mystical, but probably was just nonsense made up so that it LOOKED mysterious and could be sold to people looking for Illuminated manuscripts. It's a fun reference point for something that is probably bullshit, but maybe not?? and no one really knows.

It's funny, I'm on the same page as Open Source Idiom, I find the show most fun when there's more of a scienc-y ambiguity to things, but the actress for Grace just delivers it so well that I can't help but love it. And I think I like that for 99.9999% of their cases, yeah, there's definitely some sciency answer that's at least plausible but there's this one weird thing that they just can't explain at all. Helps maintain that feeling of "maybe, just maybe there's some poo poo out there beyond our understanding". And in that context I also like that Grace isn't explicitly part of the church, so even if she's got real juice, that's not a confirmation of the Papacy or Christianity or any specific religion, even. Just... something.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I often find this show a little frustrating because i'm in to all the spooky stuff, and don't find it interesting when it turns out that swamp gas was once again to blame for everything that happened.
But the latest episode was great.

Oasx fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 10, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
:siren: New Episode :siren:
:siren: Season Finale:siren:

The Demon of The End
IMDB didn't put up an episode descriptor for this week yet.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The team investigates a household terrorized by a demonic infestation and is shocked when they find out the house is next door to Kristen's. Meanwhile, Kristen is surprised to learn that her frozen egg was never destroyed and purchased anonymously which leads her on a new adventure.

Good finale although this season did feel like kind of a table-setter at times despite some great individual eps. Maybe they expected to have more episodes originally

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah that was pretty good, but I was expecting something a bit more, I won't lie. Spent the entire scene where Andy came back home expecting the other shoe to drop, and the rest of the episode expecting him to get killed by exploding plumbing or an evil toilet falling on his head. That final sequence he was a part of was pretty good, though it was also super dreamlike and weird -- one of those demons was definitely killed earlier last season. Enjoyed all the cameos all the same.

Glad the cat is finally out of the bag with Sheryl. Kinda. Maybe. Almost definitely probably. We'll see.

LMFAO at the Leland reveal.

And yeah, this definitely felt like they were expecting a few more episodes this season, but what we got was good. Just not particularly climactic / cathartic.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i can't believe teke teke is dead :'(

This episode was a lot of fun. That sequence at the end, woof.

Yeah that was pretty good, but I was expecting something a bit more, I won't lie. Spent the entire scene where Andy came back home expecting the other shoe to drop, and the rest of the episode expecting him to get killed by exploding plumbing or an evil toilet falling on his head. That final sequence he was a part of was pretty good, though it was also super dreamlike and weird -- one of those demons was definitely killed earlier last season. Enjoyed all the cameos all the same.

Andy's role in this show just being Character to Most Likely Be Murdered for 3 seasons now is just... so funny
Kurt showing up there at the end makes me wonder if he is one who they brought in to hypnosis or whatever is causing Andy to blank out.

And yeah, this definitely felt like they were expecting a few more episodes this season, but what we got was good. Just not particularly climactic / cathartic.

I really liked this finale a lot but I get what you mean. The last two had a lot more moments of drawing stuff from other episodes of the season in unexpected ways.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I agree it didn't really feel like a season finale. Things were happening throughout the episode and then they added a new plot for next season but I don't really feel anything about it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I wonder how many of the writing decisions for the finale were made before they knew they were getting renewed and how many were made after.

I liked it a lot but it really did feel like setting up about 8 new plotlines more than it felt like a finale.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

God I love Sister Andrea.

Get that woman a proton pack

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It was fun seeing the daughter casually chatting career plans with Andrea, while she was furiously swatting the floor.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

priznat posted:

God I love Sister Andrea.

Get that woman a proton pack

I love her exorcism style, seems to be much more effective than David's fancy words

It's great fun to see a supernatural creature whose weakness is getting their head bashed in with a shovel.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

It was fun seeing the daughter casually chatting career plans with Andrea, while she was furiously swatting the floor.

Those Bouchard kids have seen some weird poo poo.

I really like how they figured it out. It doesn’t really understand why Leland and Ed changed their plans based on that, was it they figure if they take the extra effort to mind whammy andy the girls won’t make a ruckus about the ding in the facetime call?

Also Wallace Shawn rules.

XboxPants posted:

I love her exorcism style, seems to be much more effective than David's fancy words

It's great fun to see a supernatural creature whose weakness is getting their head bashed in with a shovel.

She does not mince words, lol.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

priznat posted:

Also Wallace Shawn rules.

thank you show for making up for killing the homo priest by bringing in cooler homo priest :angel:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

thank you show for making up for killing the homo priest by bringing in cooler homo priest :angel:

He may not believe in God but he’s gonna send Leland to HELL

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

priznat posted:

Those Bouchard kids have seen some weird poo poo.

I really like how they figured it out. It doesn’t really understand why Leland and Ed changed their plans based on that, was it they figure if they take the extra effort to mind whammy andy the girls won’t make a ruckus about the ding in the facetime call?

I assume it's this. The kids know, and Sheryl saw that the kids figured it out. If they had killed Andy, the kids would never believe it and eventually convince Kristen that they really heard what they heard and that Leland had Andy. So to stop that from happening, they released Andy, who know is haunted by demons or something? And now Leland is technically having a baby with Kristen, so she'll be focused on that instead.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I assume it's this. The kids know, and Sheryl saw that the kids figured it out. If they had killed Andy, the kids would never believe it and eventually convince Kristen that they really heard what they heard and that Leland had Andy. So to stop that from happening, they released Andy, who know is haunted by demons or something? And now Leland is technically having a baby with Kristen, so she'll be focused on that instead.

Yeah I hope Ben looks into this more, seems like the seeds were being planted in his mind.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

priznat posted:

Yeah I hope Ben looks into this more, seems like the seeds were being planted in his mind.

He is also the tech minded guy so not too difficult for him to figure out a deep fake as a possibility.
It would be good to have him be a more of an active player. He has gone back to being secured in his skepticism and has gotten his groove back but he is still primary a reactive character.

Most importantly, I hope next season continues introducing people from the science club who want to gently caress him. Its funny.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wonder which person from the science club will end up working at DF to show that it's totally normal.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
So whenever demons are exorcized from a house they are no sent to Hell but just to the house next door? This is quite truth bomb Sister Andrea casually dropped there, they should send her in with a shovel in the future.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Only buy detached houses unless you want them to be riddled with demons!

To be fair the demons were only in the neighbour’s place because of all of Sheryl’s bullshit anyway.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

priznat posted:

Only buy detached houses unless you want them to be riddled with demons!

To be fair the demons were only in the neighbour’s place because of all of Sheryl’s bullshit anyway.

Yeah, I imagine that's why they couldn't actually exorcise them in the first place. They were actually coming from Kristen's side of the house.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Maybe I forgot something, but didn’t the plot of last week go unsolved with the disguised figure assaulting everyone who got those stock tips?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

Maybe I forgot something, but didn’t the plot of last week go unsolved with the disguised figure assaulting everyone who got those stock tips?

It was a demon / psychopath employed by Leland and Sheryl's company. Kristen sicced it on the frozen vegetables guy and now it's his problem. Presumably he's dead though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It was a demon / psychopath employed by Leland and Sheryl's company. Kristen sicced it on the frozen vegetables guy and now it's his problem. Presumably he's dead though.

That guy is probably going to be hired at DF, laff.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

priznat posted:

That guy is probably going to be hired at DF, laff.

Just in time for Kristen to go on an ice axe rampage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Great interview with the show creators Michelle and Robert King on S3 and going forward:

https://www.tvinsider.com/1056325/evil-season-4-brainwashed-andy-sigil-map-father-ignatius/

My fav bit:

quote:

Will Father Ignatius (Wallace Shawn) continue to work with the team?

Michelle: That’s our hope.

Robert: Our hope is we want Wally Shawn. We would write anything for Wally Shawn. So, yes.

:hellyeah: