Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

priznat posted:

Great interview with the show creators Michelle and Robert King on S3 and going forward:

https://www.tvinsider.com/1056325/evil-season-4-brainwashed-andy-sigil-map-father-ignatius/

lmao, i didn't connect on the dots on the parallels they were making between lexis and lynn... such a funny idea... kristen lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Rewatching the finale. First time around I really didn't like the twist where Andy survived, but I've come to really like it. The entire season makes you think it's building to this big death, but then it doesn't-- I guess my feeling is that it's still a bit of an anti-climax, but now I think they should have gone with something almost equally as big to prevent that feeling, rather than just killing Andy like it seemed like they were going to. It was a twist that genuinely threw me, which hadn't happened to me for a long time with a show.

The only problem I have going forward is that Leland has a witnessed murder. I don't know how the show can go forward with him free -- I don't think I'd even buy the return of the demonic police squad as an excuse in this case.

Also they need to do a Home Alone style episode starring the four kids. That would loving own, and it could be goofy enough that the kids aren't properly in danger. Could be really fun.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
God I love Wallace Shawn. That guy brightens up any scene that he's in.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

The only problem I have going forward is that Leland has a witnessed murder. I don't know how the show can go forward with him free -- I don't think I'd even buy the return of the demonic police squad as an excuse in this case.

I was afraid at first that they were going to claim that Grace had committed the murder (and, particularly given that she's been shuffled off into hiding by the Vatican this is still Leland's most obvious defense, especially since I don't think anyone but her even saw him there). If nothing else though this should have put Leland firmly on the Entity's radar now. (Assuming he survives the ice axe rampage that I assume is going to be the opening scene of Season 4).

Weed Wolf posted:

God I love Wallace Shawn. That guy brightens up any scene that he's in.

I think this is the first time I've seen him in a fully dramatic role and he's (unsurprisingly) phenomenal at it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just started watching this show from the beginning, I think I noted it when the latest season popped up here and only now got to it. Season 1 already has GILFs and actual incels and ICE deporting people to re-education camps. What a show!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

mobby_6kl posted:

Just started watching this show from the beginning, I think I noted it when the latest season popped up here and only now got to it. Season 1 already has GILFs and actual incels and ICE deporting people to re-education camps. What a show!

I loved the resolution of that incel plot. Such a giant waste of time for everyone involved!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

I think this is the first time I've seen him in a fully dramatic role and he's (unsurprisingly) phenomenal at it.

smoke My Dinner with Andre

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cant cook creole bream posted:

I loved the resolution of that incel plot. Such a giant waste of time for everyone involved!
Just like my last date!

I just watched that episode and the conclusion is indeed great, though it seems like Leland is looking for a way to continue it

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I'm 5 episodes into S1, but the lack of a story arc is making it a bit dry to binge, even though I kinda love it so far. Does it get a deeper into an overaching story?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Trump posted:

I'm 5 episodes into S1, but the lack of a story arc is making it a bit dry to binge, even though I kinda love it so far. Does it get a deeper into an overaching story?

Yes and no. The show never really changes the vibe that it currently has, but a lot of the episodes so far have been setting up various different plotty things -- some of which only pay off significantly down the line and some of which play out towards the end of this season.

Thematically, the show is about the way human beings connect seemingly unconnected events, and the intersection of paranoia, religion and conspiracy, so the structure of the show's plotting also reflects this by encouraging the audience to make connections between different subplots.

Of the first five episodes, I think the only one that doesn't really come up again is the second.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like how this show, and this is something the Kings do well in general, has such layered, lived-in characters. Like Kristen's lovely marg thing. I thought at first it was some sort of product placement, but you never really get a good look at the can and all the other characters say they're terrible. (Also the way her eyes lit up at the pop-rocks tiktok) It humanizes her in a recognizable way, which makes her more identifiable when she's making really bad choices. Hey, this lady was never perfect, you see what she drinks for fun?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think they should keep placing Andy in obvious danger and he is repeatedly saved by his intrepid daughters. They're the biggest badasses on the show (as a group they seem pretty unstoppable).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

priznat posted:

I think they should keep placing Andy in obvious danger and he is repeatedly saved by his intrepid daughters. They're the biggest badasses on the show (as a group they seem pretty unstoppable).

I want Leland to keep being their Snidely Whiplash instead of going back to being even a remotely credible threat.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

docbeard posted:

I want Leland to keep being their Snidely Whiplash instead of going back to being even a remotely credible threat.

Yeah having him faceplant over and over whenever he tries to use tech against a group of internet savvy tweens would be always good for an episode B plot :haw:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
drat the loving silent monastery episode lol. The second season really seems to have much more self aware humor overall but this one straight up feels like a Darin Morgan X-files episode. It's good poo poo.

I think I also kind of love Kristen even though she's a murderer. Or maybe because of it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just bumping it as I got into the 3rd season. I love this fuckin show, just so entertaining with the spooky religious mumbo-jumbo, Vatican CIA, Doge coins pump and dump schemes, floating eyeballs :allears:

Really enjoying that it's pretty lightly serialized too, so the most mundane poo poo doesn't get dragged out over 7 seasons.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I just finished season 3 and...Sheryl is the absolute loving worst. The daughters are the best though, if Kristen didn't constantly try to reign them in they would've probably destroyed all the demonic houses by now.
The Andy plan doesn't make any sense though. Stage an elaborate hoax just to give her a lot of money? And why keep Andy alive? Why return him? Why does Andy come across a low budget Ryan Reynolds? These are the questions that season 4 won't answer because they will come up with new plot threads.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rewatching the finale. First time around I really didn't like the twist where Andy survived, but I've come to really like it. The entire season makes you think it's building to this big death, but then it doesn't-- I guess my feeling is that it's still a bit of an anti-climax, but now I think they should have gone with something almost equally as big to prevent that feeling, rather than just killing Andy like it seemed like they were going to. It was a twist that genuinely threw me, which hadn't happened to me for a long time with a show.

Also they need to do a Home Alone style episode starring the four kids. That would loving own, and it could be goofy enough that the kids aren't properly in danger. Could be really fun.
This post actually spoiled the "Andy is alive" thing, but it anyway seemed like their plan (to drain his blood or whatever they're doing?) was getting blown by the kids so whatever it was, they had to abandon it.

I thought revealing that Sheryl and Leland both worked at DF and that he was having her baby was a pretty big thing to drop instead of Andy death.

Alhazred posted:

I just finished season 3 and...Sheryl is the absolute loving worst. The daughters are the best though, if Kristen didn't constantly try to reign them in they would've probably destroyed all the demonic houses by now.
The Andy plan doesn't make any sense though. Stage an elaborate hoax just to give her a lot of money? And why keep Andy alive? Why return him? Why does Andy come across a low budget Ryan Reynolds? These are the questions that season 4 won't answer because they will come up with new plot threads.
Just watched the finale too. Yeah Sheryl sucks (i mean in a good way) but she hasn't been really horrible in a few episodes I think. The girls are amazing to watch, though I probably would've blown my brains out if I had to live with that chaos.

I'm guessing they wanted to get rid o Andy (to remove his influence over Kristen w/r/t Sheryl) and drain him or whatever they were doing with those jars. They'd probably never actually give them any money. Once their plan was blown, they decided to just return him since apparently they could MiB his brain.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think this show might have the worst depiction of videogames in tv history but it somehow works

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I think this show might have the worst depiction of videogames in tv history but it somehow works

yeah the kings always go for a uncanny valley thing that ends up selling it, imo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That representation of an online type of animal crossing slash social network thing was pretty good, it was funny how the girls avatars had their voices but leland’s had the goofy voice.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Yes and no. The show never really changes the vibe that it currently has, but a lot of the episodes so far have been setting up various different plotty things -- some of which only pay off significantly down the line and some of which play out towards the end of this season.

Thematically, the show is about the way human beings connect seemingly unconnected events, and the intersection of paranoia, religion and conspiracy, so the structure of the show's plotting also reflects this by encouraging the audience to make connections between different subplots.

Of the first five episodes, I think the only one that doesn't really come up again is the second.

it's been awhile but don't some of the episodes end really abruptly?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CODChimera posted:

it's been awhile but don't some of the episodes end really abruptly?

Yeah, they often do. I always figured this was part of the show's horror vibe.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That witness can't go public because she's in the country illegally. They even point it out in the show that they can't call the police before Grace is removed.

mobby_6kl posted:

T
I'm guessing they wanted to get rid o Andy (to remove his influence over Kristen w/r/t Sheryl) and drain him or whatever they were doing with those jars.

But Kristen didn't disown Sheryl because of Andy, but because she dated Leland. I doubt that making Andy like Sheryl would'e been enough to make up for that Sheryl not only works for Leland but loving invited her to the baby shower.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At what point did Cheryl go over the edge into full on evil?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

zoux posted:

At what point did Cheryl go over the edge into full on evil?

When she fell in with Leland’s buddy at the bar there, I think that was it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

priznat posted:

When she fell in with Leland’s buddy at the bar there, I think that was it.

Tim Matheson? This is the episode where they paralyze her and then shoot her up with evil juice? Yeah, I definitely notice more overt malevolence after that, but it seems too blatant for a Kings script. Like, Leland is slowly grooming her into becoming evil but then they're just like gently caress it and put her on the anabolics.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

zoux posted:

Tim Matheson? This is the episode where they paralyze her and then shoot her up with evil juice? Yeah, I definitely notice more overt malevolence after that, but it seems too blatant for a Kings script. Like, Leland is slowly grooming her into becoming evil but then they're just like gently caress it and put her on the anabolics.

I would say that there is no "one point" where you can pinpoint that she went full evil. It's a gradual series of choices, and that's the point.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

But Kristen didn't disown Sheryl because of Andy, but because she dated Leland. I doubt that making Andy like Sheryl would'e been enough to make up for that Sheryl not only works for Leland but loving invited her to the baby shower.

Andy said he wanted Sheryl out of the house/garage, wasn't that after Kristen and Sheryl made up, since she claimed they broke up with Leland?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Andy said he wanted Sheryl out of the house/garage, wasn't that after Kristen and Sheryl made up, since she claimed they broke up with Leland?

Yeah, he kicked her out of the garage after he got home the last time before Edward turned up with his One Last Job proposal, and I can't imagine the two aren't connected.

I think Sheryl was always pretty terrible, but the whole 'we stole your blood and...did something...' experience can't have helped.

I'm still not entirely sure why they were going to such lengths to keep Andy alive when their eventual plan was (apparently) to kill him, though maybe he was gonna be the appetizer for a cannibalistic ascension ritual or something.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The plan only became "lets actually kill Andy" when Grace did her thing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought Cheryl was pretty cool before she met Leland

I wonder if they knew who was going to be the Evil One when they started or if they waited to see which one of the four little girl actors could pull it off best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

I thought Cheryl was pretty cool before she met Leland

I wonder if they knew who was going to be the Evil One when they started or if they waited to see which one of the four little girl actors could pull it off best.
Is that when she almost let her grandkids get murdered in the graveyard?

Though to be fair, they're pretty annoying so that's understandable.