Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Watched a few eps and it's cute and all, but I don't feel like continuing. X-Files (or Millenium which this is closer to) had a real vibe, while this is just a police procedural for moms, except it's church instead of police. I don't know how to say it, needed some more 'spice' I guess. And I'm not saying it has to be grimdark apocalyptic poo poo or something either, just didn't work for me

Michael Emerson is very good in this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Hmm, does anyone maybe have an example of a particularly good or "wild" ep? I'm fine with skipping around seasons

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Thanks for the recommends, watched a couple but I think it's just not for me. I can see why people like it, and it's surely good for a mom show, but there's still something missing.

And again, best part of the elevator one was Michael Emerson getting "exorcised".

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

XboxPants posted:

I'd say it's a psychological thriller along the lines of a Hannibal-lite. They just don't dive nearly as deeply into the crazy thick muck as that show did. But Mads Mikkelson would play a great demon here.

See, I think this is way overstating how weird or creepy Evil actually is. Maybe it's just me and the stuff I watch is too out there? but all the episodes I have seen were really basic/vanilla with the creepy elements. Take the VR episode - you have VR goggles (AR, but who cares) as 'the current thing'/'scary technology', scary ghost child, ouija board - all very common and by the book horror tropes. The demons all are dudes with horns and red wrinkled makeup, like straight out of Buffy. Nothing wrong with that, but again, kinda standard fare. The side plot with the psychopath child was way more engaging to me. That's I think true for all episodes I've seen - the character moments were the most interesting, and the creepy stuff I just kinda waited for it to be over.

I kinda had the same thought about the elevator episode. I think it was influenced by japanese urban legend horror, which is good, I dig that. But again it ended up a bit too iltered down to the most basic form. I don't really know what it is, is it writing or cinematography. With how otherwise well crafted and charming the show is, it just doesn't do it for me.