Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

steinrokkan posted:

Cool animal cruelty

If they didn't want to be cooked, they shouldn't have decided to be so delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

If they didn't want to be cooked, they shouldn't have decided to be so delicious.

Clearly they don't want to be cooked, then.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

don't be shellfish about it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

How are they eaten? You just pop em in your mouth and start chewing, legs, eyes, brains and all?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Break the tail off, crack the shell open, eat the tail meat. Suck the organs out of the main body if that's your thing. Boil the shells again for crawfish stock or just throw them away.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Schubalts posted:

Break the tail off, crack the shell open, eat the tail meat.

I could probably handle this, not the organ sucking part. It’s still a visually off putting spread for me, maybe I could go chomp a potato in the corner or something.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

viet-cajun style is better but it's harder to get in Louisiana proper because crawfish purists have very strong opinions on how you do a crawfish boil

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Runa posted:

viet-cajun style is better but it's harder to get in Louisiana proper because crawfish purists have very strong opinions on how you do a crawfish boil

You can definitely find some commercial enterprise doing viet-cajun if you're in the Cajun belt while in season. And if you can't or don't want to put in the work you can get the lazy facsimile via post boil saucing by getting Fiery Crab special sauce.

If you're talking about from randos at a party I'm just happy when they taste like anything.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cartoon Man posted:

I could probably handle this, not the organ sucking part. It’s still a visually off putting spread for me, maybe I could go chomp a potato in the corner or something.

Yea, I never did the organ sucking myself. I just give the heads to whoever wants them.

There's usually potatoes, corn cobs, and sausage in the pot with the crawfish. Sometimes they'll toss in jumbo shrimp or crabs, too. It's a big "whatever we pulled out the water and farm today" event

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Schubalts posted:

Yea, I never did the organ sucking myself. I just give the heads to whoever wants them.
Really sending some mixed messages here.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Crossposting from the Suno/Udio/AI Music thread:

Corpse Crotch Honey

DJ Fuckboy Supreme has a new favorite as of 12:24 on Apr 22, 2024

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'd go for those Ruffles ones. Plain potato chips seem like they'd be a nice salty flavor to go with some sweetness, like dipping fries in a frosty.

My coworker brought rice krispy treats made with potato chips mixed in. They were really good. I would eat the potato donut.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Potato haters (potaters?): cover your eyes

Knedle sa šljivama (plum filled potato dumplings)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Plum dumplings are good, but they absolutely should be smothered in butter, powdered sugar and grated hard quark and / or poppyseed meal

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Grated hard Quark?

(Joking aside, I'm not sure I know what that is.)

I'd probably try that potato/plum concoction just to see if it was a combination that works. Dipping fries in sweet sauces can be good.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 20:41 on Apr 21, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's not like French fries, lol. It's boiled sweet dough where the potato replaces some of the wheat flour. The same recipe can be made without potatoes with a dough made with only flour, but it has a different texture.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Apr 21, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For starters the potato dough itself is also sweet, as well as buttery which blends with the breadcrumb topping. It's comparable to a sweet potato croquette.

steinrokkan posted:

It's not like French fries, lol. It's boiled sweet dough where the potato replaces some of the wheat flour. The same recipe can be made without potatoes with a dough made with only flour, but it has a different texture.

I've seen variations that use choux pastry and I'm like, you can't fool me that's a fruity cream puff.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think the thing here is Americans associate potatoes with savoury uses and don't realize potato is just a starch. Like bread, it can be made into savoury or sweet dishes.

Hell, you can even make it into bread.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In the same vein: the very unphotogenic rustic poverty food, potato logs

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I could go for some schupfnudeln.

Have some thread appropriate potatoes instead:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Leberkase_mit_Spiegelei.jpg

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Runa posted:

I think the thing here is Americans associate potatoes with savoury uses and don't realize potato is just a starch. Like bread, it can be made into savoury or sweet dishes.

Hell, you can even make it into bread.

We used to make potato donuts when I was a kid that way, they were pretty fantastic. Dense as hell.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013
yeah, fastnachts are frequently potato based and delicious. people look forward to fastnacht day.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I like to cut a potato in 4 equal slices lengthwise, discard the two skin covered sides like you do a loaf of bread, and then use the two inner slices as bread. Potato bread is simple and delicious.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There used to be a potato doughnut spot in my town, but it closed a few years ago. The doughnuts were good.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What is the difference between viet Cajun and Cajun style?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The one thing that popped out from the picture was the limes on the side instead of lemons. Plus the chili flakes and whatever chili powder is going on there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

What is the difference between viet Cajun and Cajun style?

Cajun style seasons the water in the pot and the crawfish are lightly flavored by the water so you get a more honest crawfish flavor.

Viet-cajun seasons the water, and then seasons the crawfish again after they're removed from the pot. Usually with a rich and spicy garlic butter sauce. The idea is, if you're going to be cracking open the shell with your mouth you may as well make the whole experience more flavorful. That you can also dip the crawfish meat in the sauce is a nice bonus.

The seasoning itself also differs, even from a family to family basis, but that's just the specifics.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

broke: diet Cajun
woke: viet Cajun

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

My potato story is learning very recently how incredibly cheap and easy gnocchi are to make, I've been buying them like an absolute fool.

Hot tip: dump a bunch of garlic and onion powder in there before you form the gnoccs

redgubbinz has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Apr 22, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you think about it the Cajuns are just the Vietnamese of Louisiana.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Desert Bus posted:

discard the two skin covered sides like you do a loaf of bread

Why are you throwing out perfectly good bread?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

redgubbinz posted:

My potato story is learning very recently how incredibly cheap and easy gnocchi are to make, I've been buying them like an absolute fool.

Hot tip: dump a bunch of garlic and onion powder in there before you form the gnoccs
I’ve been on a mild pasta making bender and I don’t know why I haven’t tried gnocchi.

Last night I used 00 for the first time for pappardelle. I should have gone another round with the maker to get them slightly thinner, though admittedly, I love a thick noodle.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Data Graham posted:

broke: diet Cajun
woke: viet Cajun

I've been saying one of these two words wrong my whole life.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I remember making gnocchi when I was a novice cook of a student and they turned out great. Now with an additional 15 years experience under my belt the last two times I've tried to make them they've fallen apart when boiling, apart from the sweet potato ones which I guess we're more fibrous thus held their form better.

No idea what I'm doing wrong, although the recipes ige latterly followed have only had a small percentage of flour to bind them (as is more traditional) so maybe that's the problem.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Drop noodles are kind of ugly, if we are allowing things that taste fine. No messing with the noodle-dough-flattener, just drop off a spoon into the boiling water.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A matzah isn't particularly horrible but a whole week of them leaves something to be desired.

Something like fresh pasta and tortes and chewy sandwiches.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
My grandma used to give me matzot instead of bread for her very lo kosher borsch with pork ribs. It's one of my foundational childhood memories, and matzah for me is more of a comfort food than the borsch itself for some reason.

Also, what's that blue guff in there?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

just noticed that, I grabbed a picture at random so I can't be sure.
Probably just some photography issue.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

That's pretty common when you keep your matzoh in the little watch pocket of your jeans, it's harmless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh, Lint in the Matzah.