Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I really like a portobello, dressed with butter and some balsamic vinegar and grilled. Makes a nice vegetarian substitute for a burger patty.

I also make a nice mushroom ketchup with dried porcini and some brown field mushrooms. It’d probably be nice on steak, but I’m not a steak eater so I can’t test that theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEq5PxjSxVU
You get green pine cones and pack them in a jar with brown sugar for a month, letting off pressure from fermentation and adding more sugar as the volume shrinks. Then simmer and strain. I have another batch going now with young pine tips which is also supposed to work.
It is exactly what I had hoped for, really tasty.

Do you add any water/other liquid to simmer? Or does the ferment make the sugar liquidy enough in itself?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

I had a really good vegetarian burger at a bbq place a couple nights ago that had fries on it, and it slapped. The fries were really well seasoned and crispy, the black bean patty also had a lovely crispy fried crust and the salad and sauces were crisp and fresh. I usually don’t expect much for vege options at a meat focused place, but the fries burger hit the spot. The fries even stayed crispy in the middle of the burg surrounded by sauce.

Probably wouldn’t try it from a fast food chain, but it can work. I guess it helped that I was loving starving, on a three day beer judging event where every other meal had piss-poor half-hearted catering for the non-meatists.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

I think there might be something wrong with me. The tomato aspic sounds like it’d be good as a sort of Greek salad with cucumbers, olives and feta in it.
I wonder if my family would disown me if I made it for Christmas?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

2 sauces for 8 party pies??? thats not enough sauce

It’ll be that poo poo masterfoods sauce too.

When I lived over there my mum would mail me watties sauce from home, until I asked her nicely to send me whitlocks chutney sauce instead.
Watties still beats Canadian/American ketchup, but it doesn’t smash it out of the water like a whitlocks does.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Every culture has developed its own version of "meat or other fillings inside bread so you can pick it up".

Not every culture decides to jettison the "picking it up" feature by drenching it in goop on a plate

I had a trial of next month’s burger of the month at work, and it was delicious but I had to finish it with cutlery because the structural integrity of the brioche bun was simply not up to the job.

A burg you have to eat with cutlery has failed at being a burg, even if it is tasty.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

I really like the version of lovely plastic wrapped cheese slices we have here (especially the smoked version and the one with chives), but I don’t buy them much because I feel stink about the plastic waste involved in wrapping every slice.

The packaging basically hasn’t changed since the 80s, and that’s sort of comforting and sort of cringe

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

The extra-colossal shrimp really shrimps my youngman

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

maybeadracula posted:

Nobody said you can't "learn to like" or acquire some tastes, sometimes. But why would you want to, generally speaking?

I was an incredibly picky eater as a child. It turns out there are some things I’m intolerant to that make me feel really sick (bananas, egg yolks, avocado). I’ve also never liked red meat. However, as an adult I wanted to learn to like things and acquire tastes so that I’d be less of a pain in the arse to eat with. I wanted to be able to find something at every restaurant that I’d both be able to comfortably digest and enjoy. I’m still working on it, in my 40s. I work as a brewer, and every now and then I’ll find myself in a fancy multi-course meal situation with beer pairings, and I try at least a bite of every single thing. Yeah, I still don’t enjoy steak, even though this is objectively perfect, thinly sliced, tender steak. Still not on board with shellfish. Still not great with capsaicin. But I have found heaps of things that I do enjoy, I’d just never had them prepared that way before - and that opens up new possibilities for things I can cook or things I can order at a meal out.

Next time it happens, I’ll still try a bite of the steak or the pork belly or the eggplant, just in case. Both because I don’t want to be a pain in the arse food weird, and because a new nice thing is just wonderful.
I will pretty much always be a food weird, but it’s important to me that it’s not for a lack of trying.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Hundies loving would.

I make a strawberry jam with balsamic, some thyme and cracked black pepper and it is amazing in both sweet and savoury contexts. I bet blackberry would also loving slap with balsamic and thyme on a grilled cheese, and now I have a weekend food goal.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

root beer posted:

That’s pretty much why I stick with the flavored sparkling water. I guess it helps that I think most regular sodas are so headache-inducingly sweet that sparkling water is refreshing by comparison, and it isn’t going to wreck your body.

Sparkling water will leach the calcium out of your teeth and damage the enamel if you drink it on the regular. We have a soda water gun at work, and I make our soda water by the keg full, i fuckin love me a fizzyboi with a few drops of bitters. My dentist is unimpressed with me.
I think the carbonic acid is also not good for your bones, I will update if I suddenly break one, because I have not stopped with the spicy water despite my dentist’s chiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

I’ve never been so stoked to be wrong! Thank you!

(buuurrrrrp)