Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, what do you think carbonara is?

Someone had a go at reconstructing this based on the ingredient label and marketing materials:

Among other things, the ingredient label is probably wrong -- it contains mayo, not milk.

The FDA fines for loving up nutrition facts or ingredient labels are not something a TikTok star can afford, she is absolutely screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Usually food is a local matter. Not sure what happens when you start moving it across state lines using the postal service though.

That's just... not true at all. There are exemptions to FDA and USDA regulations for small operations selling at farmers markets and stuff, found here but any good sized company distributing food product is going to be regulated by one of those two entities, interstate or not.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Those aren't tacos, but they look tasty and I would shove then in my mouth.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

Nobody in Europe knows what a Taco is.
Source: I don't know what a Taco is, and I have been posting in gws for years.

Not true, the second most prolific taco-consuming Country in the world, after, obviously, Mexico, is in Europe.

I've had tacos there, they're meh at best.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also your country is beautiful and every single Norwegian I've ever met has been a wonderful person.

You People Are wonderful.

This is true, I always looked forward to my visits there more than anywhere else.

One time an old fisherman picked me up in a Fjord on a frigid winter's day in Tromsø, I was heading home for my father's funeral, and my transport to the airport got hosed up, that man sat and comforted me and made small talk in his heated warehouse, plying me with coffee for almost 2 hours until my cab arrived, it's one of the nicest things anyone's ever done for me.

I feel like the abysmal native cuisine is God putting his thumb on the scales to balance everything else out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

It might make be anti australian but I fucken hate parmies cause its a waste of a perfectly good schnitzel. It's like putting gravy on chips. Ruins the whole experience in every way

Look at Dr. Wrong opinions over here.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Bismuth posted:

Whenever I hear about people using laxitives to lose weight it makes me wonder, do they just have loose nasty shits all the time or do they have nornal but more frequent shits? Neither seems ideal but the 1st seems not even worth it

You get diarrhea.

High-school wrestling is fun, you usually get to see at least one person poo poo their singlet from using laxatives to cut weight.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The peas look a bit... odd. Like i'm not good at colour but they look strange.

Otherwise yeah it's fine I guess. Not the biggest fan of steak and kidney but I'd probably eat it.

Overcooked and no fat added, I think.

I've been making mushy peas fairly often, since I wanted them for one specific meal, and all I could find at the time was like 15 1lb boxes of marrowfat peas on Amazon, with the original UK nutrition facts and no US ones, which I'm pretty sure it's illegal.

Anyways, if you cook them to death they turn that matte gray/green, with no distinct peas anymore.

Kenning posted:

Babbys yed?

Not enough pe wet for the smack barme.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Pookah posted:

Nope, black pudding is blood, oats, plus barley if it is good black pudding. It mostly comes in a plastic case, yeah, but that is always removed before cooking. Fresh black pudding from a butchers comes in slices on a tray.
Some black puddings are smooth in texture, some are more rough, but none of them are at all like sausage.
Personally, I prefer white pudding, specifically the ones that are really grainy and have whole barley in them.
Those are super nice.

:thunk:

Black pudding is great, one day I might move to the RoI or UK just to have unlimited access to it and Doner Kebab.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Fat Dan posted:

HP Sauce is probably the most famous example of a brown sauce.

I'd say HP sauce tastes like a 50/50 mix of A1 and ketchup.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

redgubbinz posted:

Look, sometimes they struggle with the concept of grilled cheese, give em a break...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E4cQHejFq0

Y'all will poo poo on Gordon when he makes the best looking grilled cheese I've ever seen, with fresh, simple, homemade ingredients, but defend him when he makes a loving French fry white bread sandwich. Absolute madness.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Yes. It is pretty good I was just dumbstruck that I didn't think of it first.

Black pudding and a fried egg are an ideal form-factor for an English muffin based sandwich, just saying.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's kinda like more savory less herby breakfast sausage, it's good.

I like the stuff that still has the oats or whatever cereals they use as distinct bits, gives it a nicer texture than the paste stuff.

It's no longer banned, but is insanely expensive in the states, I had a hankering for a Full English awhile back and paid like $20 all in for a 1lb log of it, which is insane for what is essentially bread soaked in a waste product of the butchery process.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

We're gonna needa couple trucks a' da macaroni to cleana up da mess'a.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Basically all Korean food is sugary as hell. I was always amazed at there being most of an entire aisle at the grocery store that's just various kinds of corn/rice syrup.

When you cook Korean food just cut the sugar down. Don't get rid of it entirely, there is a reason why a little of it is in there, but you can pretty much cut the sugar in half on any recipe as a starting point. If it uses both sugar and corn syrup (pretty common; rice syrup is basically the same thing but English recipes will usually say corn since that's easier to get outside Korea) I skip the syrup and lower the sugar.

There's a few Korean dishes that are staples for me, and yeah, step one is cut the sugar in half and see how it tastes from there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

I have seen a British section that's a quarter of an isle or so in regular supermarkets.

So, like Wales?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ugh, loving gross.

New England style hot dog buns :barf:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Bloop posted:

You're nuts, they're the best because you can grill the sides

Oh I want a loaf of bread that's all heel durp durp

But you can't grill the inside without the whole thing splitting and becoming two lovely pieces of bread. A conventional bun you can grill the inside.

I've done the research, don't try to gaslight me.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My favorite are the ones where he cooks an entire elaborate meal then just chucks it in the grinder.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like it, it's like one of those fake shaving cream canisters except instead of valuables it hides unidentifiable stew or meat paste

It just looks like a bad version of golumpki.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

more falafel please posted:

i think they're doing pretty exciting things with agar these days. there might be something with chickpea liquid too? but I think vegan gelatin is a less depressing idea than it was a decade ago or so

Aqua faba (fancy language for bean water, which is loving hilarious) can be used as a plant based alternative for egg whites in many things, such as meringues and to get that nice foamy layer on a cocktail. I use it for cocktails because dropping a raw egg white in a drink seems gross to me.

Dunno about its use in gelatin, but it's great stuff right out of the can, quite healthy too.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Carbonara (just pasta in mayonnaise)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

a sexual elk posted:

I eat all my meat from fish to steaks marinaded in asada mixes. Lime cumin cilantro garlic and jalapeño with a little salt. Every other marinade is bland as poo poo.

Don't get me wrong, that's a great marinade, but there's a million Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Indian, and East Asian marinades that pack a ton of flavor, especially the latter packs in that Chilli and citrus punch, with a super deep umami punch.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

FFT posted:

Hm. One ring.

No, that's a hemorrhoid.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Kenning posted:

So I showed the dripping street meats to a buddy of mine, and he counter-linked with sweet and sour cow vagina.

Vaya con dios: :nws: http://youtu.be/KfsW93y9KH0. :nws:

Thank loving God he plays around with it a bunch at the beginning to show you that, yes, this is 100% a real vagina dismembered from a real cow.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Black olives in chicken salad sounds awesome.

I get that using local ingredients is good for just about every reason, but you can like grow citrus in greenhouses, or get it from Spain by rail, it's not one of those insane things where fruit gets shipped from South America to China to be packed, then shipped back to the US.

I've been trying to get most of my produce from the local stand that only sells from farms nearby, but I'm still gonna get some limes shipped up from California, because life without citrus is sad.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

By popular demand posted:

That looks like the baby of a person who made bad choices.
:barf:

Babbis yed! All it needs is the pe wet!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I did this a lot for a snack when I was on submarines. Cooks would leave out pans of fruit cocktail and I'd get a bowl of that, then put a glob of PB on the side and put both elements on a spoon, I wouldn't mix them because it would look like that.

Peanut butter and fruit is a classic combo, it's basically the same as a PB&J.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

At least melt the drat cheese :cmon:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, we don't have it too often, but I'm definitely more a fan of the butter/brown sugar topping than marshmallows.

My mom switched from the marshmallow topping on mashed sweet potatoes to candied sweet potato slices in butter and brown sugar.

My brother and I keep complaining, but she won't switch back.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yep, sour cream's a go-to for mashed potatoes. Stays thicker than with milk and adds a nice little tang that goes with lots of other stuff (garlic, cheese, etc). I haven't tried Greek yogurt, but it sounds good and I imagine works out similarly.

Pain Greek yogurt or Skyr makes a really good healthy substitute for cream in a lot of recipes, I use it a lot in curries and stuff. You have to be careful not to overheat it though, or it gets weird.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The US doesn't really adhear to or enforce region of origin laws like other places do.

Why, most Bourbon sold in America isn't even produced in Bourbon, France!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

For context, Guga is best known for doing crazy "experiments" with giant steaks and other large pieces of meat.

He makes a happy face when one of his steaks turns out really well. That is not his happy face.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Last image looks like it could slap.

What's the middle German thing?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm dying to know what these *actually* taste like.

Salt and vinegar?

OwlFancier posted:

Humans have a faintly sour cream sort of flavour IME.

Good guesses, salt and vinegar and sour cream, according to the reviews.

Use these handy tags from the add if you want to find the Etsy store.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

If you want to shove ~1lb of ground beef in your face there's just so many tastier and/or easier ways to do it than as a big, nasty, sweaty log that comes out visually identical to how it goes in. In no particular order:

-hamburger
-loco moco (the best way)
-white person tacos
-raw, straight from the package
-taco salad
-spaghetti sauce
-chili
-taco pizza
-Salisbury steak
-lasagna

I'm sure there's more.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's expensive, but I really want to eat it, unlike most of the scran that account posts.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

teen witch posted:

OG Four Loko was my first college blackout and then I never had one ever again (four lokos, not blackouts, don’t you worry)

The only full-on screaming match argument I've ever had with someone was over Four Lokos.

Oddly enough, neither of us had drank any.

E: it also involved benadryl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

In Norwegian prices? That's dirt cheap for any prepared food item.

E, unrelated:

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 10:21 on Feb 18, 2023