Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I posted about it in the old thread pretty recently, and by a remarkable coincidence, Irish lidl has chocolate-covered cheese sticks in stock as part of the Polish/Hungarian food specials. First time in several years.

I bought 6 quids worth because it really is weirdly delicious. Get you down to a euro lidl TODAY and get some from the chilled food cabinet!

(The cheese is kind of like a very gently lemony cheesecake coated in dark chocolate, so it's not like cheddar dipped in milka)

It's craaaazy nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Your regular weird reminder that the cuisine served at every meal, including state banquets, at Buckingham Palace is Classic French, except NO loving GARLIC because the Queen hates garlic.

Imagine the horror of French food sans garlic.
What the hell is left?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I *think* the red stuff in the glass bottles is maggi sweet chilli sauce

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I got curious about the thick, opaque pink/orange sauce that's added about halfway into that there video.
It's Delicio-brand French dressing. I googled the ingredients, and yeah...

Can't really see what that's going to add

edit: huh, so you can't delete attachments made via the awfulapp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pookah has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Jul 13, 2022

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That's the second moist and glistening ham pizza posted here recently; both of them trigger an immediate urge in me to slap them as hard as I can.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

uber_stoat posted:

that's the "gammon reflex."

Yeah, that actually makes perfect sense.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Helios Grime posted:

It's loving me up that french dressing is shades of red for Americans.

I've only ever seen whitish sauces described as french dressing in the EU.

Yeah, that threw me off too - french dressing here is all white/yellowish. It's usually an oil/vinegar/mustard mix plus garlic, black pepper etc.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

She can start an british-themed old-timey pub called The Tattooed Todger

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Zero_Grade posted:

House specialty: spotted dick

Also Chode in the Hole

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

What the gently caress???

Béchamel is fine, it's an extremely solid, flexible base for many many really excellent sauces.
Who the hell declares against fecking béchamel?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Don't blame the béchamel for bad cooks.
The béchamel is blameless.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Dude, béchamel is mostly a base. If food you order contains a lot of basic béchamel maybe consider ordering different food.
If food you make contains a lot of béchamel, and that distresses you, consider getting psychiatric help.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I once gave what I thought was an idiot-proof recipe for some pasta dish to a friend who couldn't cook at all, as he wanted to impress a girl he was dating.

It called for 2 cloves of garlic. In hindsight I should have explained the difference between a garlic clove and a garlic bulb.

It was a better dish.
Also, neither could have gone on to attract a less garlicky partner.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That's not true, we have extremely authentic tacos in Europe.

:colbert:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

FFT posted:

... are those carrot shavings!?

... and cucumber!!??

Avocado, spinach, and arugula are fine, I guess, but what

oh no, is that a dollop of ranch dressing in the middle?

It's toothpaste, that's what makes it EXTRA COOL

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

In Ireland, we have a pizza chain called Apache pizza.
Anyway, I have eaten every single one of their pizzas many times, since they were the chain of choice for meals when we did overtime at my old terrible job.

All their pizzas taste exactly the same, except the Hot n Spicy, which tastes the same plus a little chili.

Awful, terrible bland goddamn pizza, and so horribly overpriced.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That's just an excellent immersive sim plot point.

Imagine it:
Dishonored 2 DLC: Mineral Oil Mayonnaise Mayhem.

It would have been hilarious

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That brown goop with the very pale potatoes is essentially a lazy cottage pie, it's fine.

The marge-coated bread on the side is another story.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Don't try and tell me you've never had a craving for quality fish that's been boiled to gently caress, shaped into small shoes and filled with some kind of creamed aquatic green

OMG, I inherited an almost complete collection of Robert Carrier... leaflets? Magazines?
Anyway, there were dozens of the drat things. I do remember that what I cooked from the recipes was actually pretty good, but the food photography was just dire.
If that salmon is very gently poached and the watercress mousseline is very delicately prepared, it's probably really nice.

fake edit:

Robert Carrier posted:

Combine water, sliced onion, celery, bay leaf and lemon juice, and salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste, in a wide saucepan. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add salmon steaks to the simmering liquid, carefully placing them on the bottom of the pan without letting them overlap. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Chill the steaks in their own liquid. Just before serving, drain. Serve with Watercress mousseline. Serves 4.

Watercress mousseline: Remove leaves from watercress; place them in cold water, bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. Rinse well in cold water; drain and pass through a fine sieve. Bring double cream to a boil in a saucepan; add sieved watercress, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Chill. Just before serving, whisk with lemon juice until thick and smooth.

Oh no.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Aug 10, 2022

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tiggum posted:

Why would you assume it's margarine and not butter?

Too slimy for butter.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Kenning posted:

Babbys yed?

Babbys yed.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Shut up and eat your coddle

Pookah has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Aug 18, 2022

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Is black pudding sausage? It comes in sausage form, but the casing is plastic and it's cooked in slices rather than as a sausage. Same for white pudding, and the erroneously named vegetable roll that's 90% ground meat.

Nope, black pudding is blood, oats, plus barley if it is good black pudding. It mostly comes in a plastic case, yeah, but that is always removed before cooking. Fresh black pudding from a butchers comes in slices on a tray.
Some black puddings are smooth in texture, some are more rough, but none of them are at all like sausage.
Personally, I prefer white pudding, specifically the ones that are really grainy and have whole barley in them.
Those are super nice.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Elviscat posted:

:thunk:

Black pudding is great, one day I might move to the RoI or UK just to have unlimited access to it and Doner Kebab.

Yeah, but the french name "boudin" is the origin of the english word "pudding", however the french is speculated to have come from the latin "botellus" meaning little sausage - so it's just a endless sausage-pudding-sausage circle.

It's a pity making it at home is kind of difficult, since I can't imagine it's easy to get pig's blood at the store.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Clone Farmer posted:

On no what the gently caress was this supposed to be? Are those eyes?

It's the original Cookie Monster.
The one Sesame Street tried to convince us didn't exist.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

OwlFancier posted:

I just watched my girlfriend spread black pudding on toast and then put an egg on top and eat it.

I am in awe.

That sounds pretty drat good - a fried egg, I assume?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

OwlFancier posted:

Yes. It is pretty good I was just dumbstruck that I didn't think of it first.

Hang on, was it the Galtee smooth-type or the Rudds grainy? Either would work, I suppose, but I personally favour the Rudds grainy style of pudding.
Actually a thin layer each of white and black pudding, topped with a fried egg would be amazing.

drat, I wish I had some good grainy white pudding now.

It's so good :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sounds like the smooth paste type stuff. I don't think it can ever really be undercooked, it's safe to eat cold out of the tube, even if it is gross.
My father will happily eat pasty black pudding heated in the microwave

:barf:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

You haven't really lived until you have eaten a Russian crab pringle from a 1 euro store.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Iron Crowned posted:

You don't catch crabs with a fish hook :confused:

You can if you put a big ol chunk of bacon on the hook.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Isn't it a thing that Korea was extremely poor until very recently, had a boom, and is now quite wealthy, and doing the standard 'was poor, got rich, started obsessing about sugar' thing?
I've heard Korean restaurateurs in the US who emigrated 20-30 years ago serve a completely different, low-sugar menu compared to modern South Korean cuisine.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

AARD VARKMAN posted:

from a 2/5 rated chinese place in scotland

That's a spicy box! They are robbing Ireland of one of its few culinary creations - the Spice Bag :argh:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

"Soybeans Italiano" is an excellent username.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Crust First posted:

Circus peanuts? Gross. I'll just keep eating my Shrimp and Bananas like a normal person.

Gotta add some edible false teeth into the mix

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Hygiene posted:

"What's for dinner?"
"Tuna salad"
"Great, that doesn't sound too ba-"

I scanned over the image and started reading the recipe - apart from the "dietetic-pack tuna", it really doesn't seem too weird.
Then I looked the image again, and realized that the chopped lettuce I'd seen before was embedded in lime jelly.

An involuntary "Oh God" was the result.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Some long-deceased relative of my father's took to her bed in late middle-age and basically stayed there for the rest of her life.
Nothing diagnosed, but she was very fond of tonic wine, but purely for medicinal reasons.
The rule is: It's medicine if you drink it from a soup spoon, it's booze if you drink it from a glass!

Holy poo poo, you can still get it https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/255247732

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sanatogen tonic wine still has the very thinnest layer of *if I squint really hard* distantly plausible deniability, but did you know that Buckfast is also a tonic wine?

For those who have never heard of it, Buckfast is tonic wine made by monks and its major ingredient after a shitload of alcohol is caffeine, so it is SUPER popular with crazy street drunks.
I used to know a guy from Northern Ireland who, when sober, had a really mild manner and accent. After a bottle of bucky, he was a wildman with the densest nordie accent :allears:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Empty Sandwich posted:

there's a comic about Scottish wizards currently being posted in the comics thread you might enjoy. someone cooks eggs in Buckfast...

I'll check it out for sure. Bucky jokes are rare enough in the wild.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Hygiene posted:

Legit the only time I've ever tried whiskey was for medicinal purposes. I was coming down with a gunky sore throat and someone told me JD would clear it out. It did not.

I've always thought whiskey tastes like some kind of fuel that no-one ought to be consuming but that was Irish standard blended whiskeys.
I tried a few single malts recently, and while they were not my absolute cup of tea, they were a lot less aggressive.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That's so weird, because the early half is very Scots, and the latter is very not; the latter tone is, to my not very expert eye, very not accurately Scottish at all.
I'm no Scot, but Ive spent plenty of time in the company of highland Scots and they are not quiet about being loving Scottish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I like raisins, but I loathe unexpected raisins. I have the same issue with mushrooms, I think it is a texture thing.
My mother used to sneak mushrooms into her bolognese, and the horrible creak of biting down on a mushy secret mushroom is with me still.