Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Do swedes not do bagels?

I've been in Sweden for a few days driving from Malmö to Gothenburg to the Smålands and stopping regularly in-between and have searched basically every store I've come across for bagels and so far only found them once in a gigantic Ica Maxi today.

I would except they''d at least have frozen bagels but no dice.

The Coop in Växjö did have some sort of Balkan pastry called "Burek", which was absolutely fantastic, but not even a trace of bagels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

axolotl farmer posted:

Proper chewy bagels are rare. The coffee chains like Espreso House usually sell something they call a bagel, but it’s just a regular white roll shaped like a donut and covered in poppyseeds. A bagel shouldn’t be crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.

You may have better luck if you can find a hipster bakery, but good luck.

Thanks a bunchas tribute to the thread here's my attempt at heating frozen croissants on the grill after one of many fruitless attempts at finding bagels.

It was a failed experiment but not as bad as I first thought. Mostly because as they melted in my not sufficiently cooled cooler they congealed into one big dough chunk resulting in the mess you see.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Jul 11, 2022

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alhazred posted:

You can make bagels on your own you know. It's not even that hard.

When I'm in a tent with no other cooking equipment other than a travel grill it's a bit tricky.

Probably possible though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alhazred posted:

It's also possible to make bagels before you embark on a camping trip and take them with you.

They probably would've gone bad on the three day voyage across the Atlantic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Duke of Normandy, Lord of Mann, and Defender of the Faith scurrying through the underbrush eagerly throwing over every rock and fallen tree trunk and gorging herself on the slimy life squirming in the rot underneath all the while moaning and growling with pure pleasure.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've had pizza in Italy several times and honestly the quality difference between a real Italian pizza and the average pizza anywhere else in the world I've been is not that big. It's all just flatbread with some cheese and tomato sauce, it's pretty hard to gently caress up, even the shittiest cheapest pizza is still edible.

I should note that I've never been south of Bologna so maybe I've only had some dire northern pizzas or something.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The turtles are mutated monsters that live in the sewer obviously they're gonna be eating weird poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Born on a mountain
Raised in cave
Dunking and dipping
Is all that I crave

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just ate some bear jerky in Sweden.

Was pretty good.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There's one (1) authentic Mexican place in Reykavík. The rest are some form of watered down Euro Tex-Mex.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One of the busiest Dominos places in the world (by pure sales not per capita) is in Reykjavík.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Icelandic Dominos is actually pretty good.

Not as good as like artisanal fire baked pizza in Italy or something but on a fast-food chain pizza standard it's perfectly acceptable.

I hear American Domino's is dire.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alhazred posted:

"Dominos, somewhat better than urine soaked sharks"

You People eat Grandiosa for Christmas.

You 100% have no ground to talk poo poo about any other nation's culinary mishaps.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sidenote: the southern BBQ place Way Down South in Oslo serves some of the best food I've had in my life. Probably helps that the owner is an actual American albeit a Yankee.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alhazred posted:

Which is still somewhat better than urine soaked shark. Also, the "people eat frozen pizza for christmas" thing have been greatly exaggerated:
https://www-nrk-no.translate.goog/mr/myten-om-grandiosa-som-julemiddag-1.12718220?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Urine soaked shark has been marginal for about 100 years and mostly meant as a sort of dare to be washed down with akavit.

Like Drop Bears, mostly a gimmick for scaring foreigners.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also your country is beautiful and every single Norwegian I've ever met has been a wonderful person.

You People Are wonderful.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

To get the correct pronunciation for Sous Vide you need to say "Sweet" like an old times prospector.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Shots fired.

The bean fandom takes no hostages.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This is probably about as "traditional" as a robot servant but it does a good job of keeping everything for lazy nights when you don't feel like wrapping.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yum

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My ma makes a "brown sauce" for most holiday meals . I've not the faintest idea what the ingredients are.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tiggum posted:

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend was an American comic, though. Written by an American and published in America.

America in 1906 was basically still British as the US had only been its own country for a measly 130 years.

Needs to be a minimum of 500 to count.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Baked beans and cream.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Some highlights from the Icelandic "Old Fashioned Food" Facebook group:

Liver patties

"Italian meat dish was very popular 1960-1970"

"Real horsemet[sic] from SS*"

*Southland slaughter company not the Nazi group.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I have it on good authority that you people also put gravy on literally everything for every meal.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've just heard that Northerners (any one living in former Danelaw areas):
-Put gravy on everything
-Never wear a coat
-Speak to strangers while sober

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Whooping Crabs posted:

Brits will put anything into a pie

As will Americans, at least according to a documentary I once saw.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

uber_stoat posted:

it's just a British Hot Pocket. or rather a Hot Pocket is the weaponized form of a meat pie and with the advent of the pepperoni pie we come full circle.

'ot Gusset they calls them innit

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm currently marinating a goat leg in balsamic vinegar, orange marmalade, garlic, and ginger.

Doesn't have any hair though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Björk with feast circa 1985

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I feel like every time I hear about a polar expedition its something along the line of:
"Food ran out after only two weeks because expedition leader Percy Montague Arthur George Maria Featherstonehaugh 7th earl of Scunthorpe, a hemophiliac who had never seen a boat before, insisted that he needed to bring his collection of 43 antique grandfather clocks leaving little space in the hold for food. The earl died shortly after from exposure as he forgot to bring a coat."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's just a shrimp

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Charles Leclerc posted:

I always figured that was the same with padron peppers. Most are completely benign but there is always at least one madman strain in every batch.

Doritos had a chip with the same gimmick where spicy chips were mixed in with a bag of gentler chips but the supposedly mega spicy chips were disappointingly mild.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's probably good.

It's the traditional Icelandic Yuletide foods combined into a taco.

The shell is laufabrauð (fried thin bread cut with intricate patterns. Usually more flat and pancake shaped), the filling is minced hangikjöt (dung smoked lamb), mushed green peas, and red cabbage topped with uppstúfur (basically a more sugary bechamel).

In non taco form it looks like this

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When you don't have any trees but a lot of sheep you have to work with what you have.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

sugary bechamel what in tarnation

We didn't really learn how to cook food until like 2003.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

LifeSunDeath posted:

wtf is wrong with your nation

You know how Norwegians are all eccentric yokels who love Slow TV and eat frozen pizza on Christmas?

Imagine if all the the most eccentric and antisocial Norwegians moved away and spent a thousand years inbreeding on a desolate rock in the north Atlantic constantly ravaged by famine, natural disasters, and disease.

And you get a nation whose idea of food is pickled leftovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I worked in an IKEA for about a year and I basically lived off the food in the cafeteria.