Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I found a leaking can in the back of my cupboard and opened it out of curiosity.

pears halves in juice, best by Sept 2022

Let's get this on a tray.

Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Why would tangy ever be thought of as a good descriptor for fish

Fish is often paired with a tangy sauce :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If it's not photos of old flyers or magazine ads (you can see the glare from the shiny paper), the place isn't legit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sleepy gary posted:

I was guiding some family around in a popular European tourist city. To this day they think I'm some kind of a genius because I told them to skip the restaurant right across from a popular attraction and go in a few blocks where we found a really fantastic place.

I tend to favour the "if they don't have a menu in English, it's probably at least OK". e: OK not all restaurants around the world have a menu outside, but many do.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Theophany posted:

Additional points if they have pictures of each menu item so sunburned tourists can point at a picture of a fried egg, like a trained monkey in a zoo rather than suffer the indignity of attempting to learn a single loving word of the country they have inflicted themselves upon.

I went to a KFC in Guangzhou and tried to order by pointing at things on the menu but they kept saying something to me and to each other (I speak no Chinese language) and then finally a guy in a suit brought me a dusty laminated English-language menu. Like... I still had no idea what a god drat "Zinger" was so I had to go by the pictures anyway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know what that means, but it's one of those pieces of terminology that's so deeply ingrained that it just sounds so wrong to me. Like c'mon, a burger's something with ground meat, not a meat sandwich in general! Get it together, other parts of the world!
:arghfist::911::burger:

You've only ever eaten sparkling meat sandwiches.

e: Because the Finnish word for hamburger is literally the translation of Hamburger, i.e. hampurilainen, meaning someone or something from or pertaining to the town of Hampuri (Hamburg), you also get things like porilainen (from or pertaining to Pori), a thick slice of onion sausage between two pieces of toast, and the fondly-remembered munaturkulainen which is funny because muna means both "egg" and "penis" :newlol:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:29 on Dec 5, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jyrraeth posted:

I knew someone in university who ordered a meatball sub with mayonnaise. Gave the clerk poo poo for looking at him weird.

I don't think it was good

:confused:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dog nougat posted:

Got the app all sorted for my doritos liquor party

Putting the hell in Hellmann.

e: And also the man, I guess.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

Found this letter in an old 1978 Lapidary Journal used as a bookmark.

I wonder what wonders were available at L E Johnson's Potato House.

Robes and hoods, probably.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gently caress if I can be arsed to fish out bay leaves in soup. If people can separate out the peppercorns they can handle one or two leaves.

Never put it in anything that wasn't soup so :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pookah posted:

My dad once made a big pot of bolognese sauce, and decided it was a good idea to make it nice and smooth by going at it with a stick blender.
He did not remove the bay leaves.

Oh yeah I do put bay leaves in meat gravy as well. I just forgor. But then I usually do take them out. I guess I can be yuor devil or you're angle.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

:wtc: bolognese should never be nice and smooth!

Oh gently caress I skipped over that bit. Lmao what the hell.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's only homogenized if an actual gay person does it. Otherwise it's just sparklingly smoothed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well yeah I usually just eat them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

this is why northern Europeans bleach their cardamom. so they don't mistake it for roaches. also, regular cardamom is way too spicy!

No they don't.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Did you post this in the wrong thread :confused:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

A bay leaf or two when you're making rice is also quite nice.

Bullshit! but I believe you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Why not grind bay leaf into a fine powder like a spice and use it that way?

You can definitely buy ground bay leaf but I cannot attest to its taste.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 10:46 on Dec 21, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ror posted:

i kind of just treat this as the food shitposting thread, I'm not really sure where to post stuff like that. I guess it could just be the general tweets thread but I thought the ham bins in this thread would appreciate it

Isn't there a #blessed thread anymore?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is Kavli Estonian or am I conflating it with some other "things inna tube" brand?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Close enough.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You call it a bowl, we call it a deep plate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Non Compos Mentis posted:

whats with the errant yellow 0 on the bottom of the banana wobbler there

It's a scan of a printed image. Sometimes presses do be like that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Did you know that it's impossible to find anything about printing artefacts via a Google search? Because Google is bad now, all you get is stuff about archaeological poo poo (because no it simply will not accept that someone searching for "printing artefacts" wants to find stuff about printing artefacts, not printing and/or artefacts. And no I won't put it in quotes gently caress you Google) or loving 3D-printing poo poo (because the world is poo poo).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dog nougat posted:

Fruitopia still exists??

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

G-Spot Run posted:

:goonsay: y'all are very scared of vegetables

Throwing a shitload of vegetables together like that makes for extremely boring eating. I'd rather have them all separately. And without Dr. Henry McCoy skin.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Wait, I love cashew chicken, is that made up bullshit

Of course it's bullshit. China is a huge country with 40 000 different cuisines. Everything goes in Chinese food.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This resolves a debate my husband and I had six years ago. Bill Bryson talks about adulterated foods in his book "At Home".

I wonder if Bryson does the same thing when writing about food that he does when writing about language, i.e. just being plain wrong about stuff on literally every page?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

He's also real good at being weird and skeevy about women, I could imagine him fitting that into a book on food.

You see Paul, adulterating bread is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Commit adultery with the bread, Paul. That's what words mean.

Buddy they won't even let me

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Last time I hosed bread I ended up with genital pain

Yung Nugget: "Let's get this loving bread"
Brawnfire: "Nooo that's my loving bread!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Salaatti:

Sallatti (which is also a salaatti):

(Thread-relevant as the whipped cream there looks... not much like whipped cream.)

e: Bonus

Sillisalaatti:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Jan 31, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just realized I hate those yellow-streaked dishes. What's up with that - they don't even look like Arabia!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

How the gently caress is it taking him so long to cut open the bladder?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

This is still how a decent portion of the meat supply chain works in China. Pigs are slaughtered in the outskirts of the city in the morning, brought to the markets, butchered, sold, you cook it that day. It's never refrigerated anywhere in the process. Works fine as long as it was actually done that day and not last week.

When I visited, in more than one restaurant you got to choose what you were going to eat while it was still alive. Like they'd have ducks walking around the garden and you went "yeah I'm gonna eat that one". Didn't see any pigs tho but I swear I heard some. Huge-rear end fish in too-small tanks was p common.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Creature posted:

Findus kalapuikkoa
Oolannin Lankkuperunat
Herne
Kermaviili
Tilli

I have everything in my fridge/freezer to make this right now and I’m tempted. :finland:

But... why the peas???

e: I guess I should be asking Tuuli.

https://www.iltalehti.fi/tuulin-keittiossa/a/075c8c6d-243d-4a15-9f79-904c438bf3ea

Earlier hits from Tuuli's desk:

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE YULE BOX?

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 08:15 on Feb 12, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

It's a seasonal dessert made from rye flour, rye malt, treacle (molasses) and bitter orange peel.

Not very sweet, and a nice rye flavor.

Treacle is only in the industrially-made poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blame the perfidious Swede for giving us ovens.

e:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Feb 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

teen witch posted:

Because it’s not in the proper soup receptacle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVUc9olw2yk