Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is going #1 overall?
Juraj Slafkovsky, LW
Shane Wright, C
Logan Cooley, C
David Jiricek, D
The Field
View Results

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I think it's worth pointing out that Hedman was the only player on Tampa's blueline that they drafted though. So while it's a good point they have a big defensive core, they aren't players Tampa drafted and developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Ottawa drafting their skating coach Shean Donovans son lmao, owns

His first name is Jorian

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I think it's worth pointing out that Hedman was the only player on Tampa's blueline that they drafted though. So while it's a good point they have a big defensive core, they aren't players Tampa drafted and developed.

this is absolutely true lol.. and the Stars track record of developing this type of defender is NOT GOOD to say the least lol

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do both Petterssons have the same middle name?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Bruce Boudreau just got surprised by his favorite wrestler Kevin Owens during an interview, he looks so happy and starstruck hahahahahaha

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1545431623310655491?s=20&t=D6Y99fLZ9HUHoRh9T5fGKg

I’m not against this sort of evaluation, but when it’s the reason you draft a guy who isn’t a plus skater, isn’t a good puck carrier or playmaker, didn’t put up numbers with mixed reports on his shooting… like, what is this guy supposed to actually do on the ice? I made a crack in the Offseason thread but it’s literally video coaches hiring guys who think like video coaches, at some point in evaluation you have to ask yourself what all this anticipation is worth in a guy with little physical talent.

Not to mention in a world where it’s pretty well proven you can still sort Canadian juniors by PPG and do well in the draft, Leafs had to grab a guy in the early second who had 55 in 67 games in the Dub? He was projected in the third round by basically everyone. Just big-brain nonsense.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

His first name is Jorian

This is an alien race from a second rate sci fi video game.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Starsfan posted:

I'm of two minds on the topic.. on one hand Tampa Bay has had a tremendous amount of success featuring a blueline where 6'-1" 215 pound Ryan McDonagh was the small guy.

On the other hand, literally every other team that tries this crap blows up.

I am choosing to remain optimistic that the Stars scouts aren't bullshitting when they claim he's a much more dynamic player than the Jamie Oleksiaks and Jani Hakanpaas of the world.. If they can get a useful 2nd pairing defender that plays 20 minutes a night and does the dirty work for the team I guess that's a major success.

I would feel better about the pick if the Stars were doing bpa on day 2 and not taking a defenseman with every selection (including a guy who will turn 20 in November with their last selection in the 4th round)

Yeah, fair enough. Guess optimism is better for the sanity index.

I'm now excited for my big dumb defenceboy. Go Stars.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1545431623310655491?s=20&t=D6Y99fLZ9HUHoRh9T5fGKg

I’m not against this sort of evaluation, but when it’s the reason you draft a guy who isn’t a plus skater, isn’t a good puck carrier or playmaker, didn’t put up numbers with mixed reports on his shooting… like, what is this guy supposed to actually do on the ice? I made a crack in the Offseason thread but it’s literally video coaches hiring guys who think like video coaches, at some point in evaluation you have to ask yourself what all this anticipation is worth in a guy with little physical talent.

Not to mention in a world where it’s pretty well proven you can still sort Canadian juniors by PPG and do well in the draft, Leafs had to grab a guy in the early second who had 55 in 67 games in the Dub? He was projected in the third round by basically everyone. Just big-brain nonsense.

lol what the gently caress does that have to do with playing hockey, which is entirely in the moment anticipation -- should be good for drafting video coaches though

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Drafting giant players in the hopes that they turn into the next Hedman seems just as misguided as drafting a small guy in the hopes he becomes the next Makar

It's just an rear end-backwards way of evaluating a player.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1545471485015461888
Avs first pick this draft is a guy named Romaine? Well I guess Cale worked out pretty good so may as well give it a shot.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Boy was that an underwhelming 18 hours for Canucks fans.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

Boy was that an underwhelming 18 years for Canucks fans.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

T-Bone posted:

lol what the gently caress does that have to do with playing hockey, which is entirely in the moment anticipation -- should be good for drafting video coaches though

I’ve fully converted into “Kyle Dubas is a bad GM” Leafs fandom. I hate it here.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
“Minten says the Leafs showed him video during their meetings. They would show a play and then the screen would go black. They’d ask him what he thought would happen next before showing the result.”

Get bounced from the first round?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Dirty Burger posted:

Bruce Boudreau just got surprised by his favorite wrestler Kevin Owens during an interview, he looks so happy and starstruck hahahahahaha

the clip of the draft, really

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mike Works posted:

“Minten says the Leafs showed him video during their meetings. They would show a play and then the screen would go black. They’d ask him what he thought would happen next before showing the result.”

Get bounced from the first round?

Holden: You're in a zone, skating along the boards, when all of a sudden you look down...

Leon: What one?

Holden: What?

Leon: What zone?

Holden: It doesn't make any difference what zone, it's completely hypothetical.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Happy to repost any of The Athletic summaries of any teams if folks would like. Mostly just a centralized version of their pre-draft reports with minimal new insight (which is the happy medium of contentmill as gently caress but also useful?).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Paracaidas posted:

Happy to repost any of The Athletic summaries of any teams if folks would like. Mostly just a centralized version of their pre-draft reports with minimal new insight (which is the happy medium of contentmill as gently caress but also useful?).

Post the Devils unless you have me on ignore lol

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

quote:

New Jersey adding a true top-flight defense prospect in Simon Nemec, someone they can envision running their power play one day. They also added Seamus Casey, who I think will play games on their back-end. Only two picks in the top 102 prevents this class from being overly deep, and it will likely come down to just how good Nemec can be. Currently the answer to that, I think, is a legit top-of-the-lineup guy.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

mcmagic posted:

Draft grade: B+
New Jersey added a true top-flight defense prospect in Simon Nemec, someone they can envision running their power play one day. They also added Seamus Casey, who I think will play games on their back-end. Only two picks in the top 102 prevents this class from being overly deep, and it will likely come down to just how good Nemec can be. Currently the answer to that, I think, is a legit top-of-the-lineup guy.

Draft Class
2. Simon Nemec, RHD, NITRA (SLOVAKIA)

February 15, 2004 | 6′ 0″ | 199 pounds

Tier: Top of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: Above NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average

Player comparable: Mackenzie Weegar

Background: Nemec played significant minutes versus men in Slovakia for the last two seasons. He has immense international experience. He scored 17 points in 19 games for his club team in Slovakia. He’s already played in two world juniors, and was among Slovakia’s best players both times. He has been in two World Championships including 6 points in 8 games at this year’s tournament. He was the best defenseman at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup this summer and in the Olympics this season.

Analysis: Nemec is a very well-rounded defenseman. His puck game is great. He has the high-end brain to make a lot of tough plays often. Nemec can hit seams, make plays under pressure and makes a great outlet pass. He also shows individual skill which, when combined with good speed, allows him to be dangerous in transition too. Defensively he’s solid due to his skating, compete and brain, even though he’s not imposing physically and can be trusted with tough responsibilities. Nemec projects as a top pair defenseman.

Thoughts on the pick: Simon Nemec is the best puck mover in the class, displaying high-end hockey sense and the ability to make plays with pace. He played very well versus men this season and has the potential to be a PP1 defenseman in the NHL for New Jersey while playing top four minutes. He complements a more explosive skating Luke Hughes well with a different style and gives the Devils a much needed boost at defense in the pipeline.

46. Seamus Casey, RHD, USA U-18 (NTDP)

January 8, 2004 | 5′ 10″ | 173 pounds

Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: Above NHL average
Compete: NHL average

Background: Casey was a top-four defenseman for the U.S. NTDP this season, lining up on both special team units consistently. He is a rare NHL prospect to come out of the Miami, Florida area and play youth hockey for the Florida Alliance program. He’s committed to Michigan.

Analysis: Casey has NHL caliber skating and skill. His ability to skate pucks out of trouble and up the ice is quite noticeable. He has good hands to maneuver in tight areas and make skilled rushes. On the power play he displays good poise and vision to make plays and can make strong outlets too. I wouldn’t call him truly dynamic with the puck though, which leaves some scouts wondering, as a small defenseman, what his NHL role will be. He defends well enough in junior due to his skating, but for a 5-foot-10 defenseman his defending will be the question as he advances levels. I project him as a full-time third pair defenseman. .

102. Tyler Brennan, G, PRINCE GEORGE (WHL)

September 27, 2003 | 6′ 4″ | 185 pounds

Skating: Below NHL average

Background: Brennan’s performance was up and down this season. He represented Canada at the U18 World Championships in 2021 as their No. 3 goalie. He was the 21st pick in his WHL Bantam Draft.

Analysis: Brennan is a goalie with great size, sense and overall poise in the net. He can make tough saves look easy due to how well he reads the play, is efficient with his movements and takes away angles with his frame. He moves well enough, but lacks the explosive pushoffs with his lower body to make the highlight lateral saves, which will be a concern versus better players. Brennan is very good at saving the high-percentage shots, but gives up too many goals from range that he’ll need to cut down on. He projects as a backup goalie in the NHL.

110. Daniil Orlov, LHD, YUZHNO-SAKHALINSK 2 (RUSSIA-JR.)

December 21, 2003 | 6′ 2″ | 180 pounds

Tier: Has a chance to play games

Puck skills: Below NHL average
Hockey sense: Below NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Background: Orlov has played a large role for his junior team, logging minutes in all situations although his team was one of the lesser teams in the MHL’s Western Conference the last two seasons.

Analysis: Orlov’s physical tools gives him a chance to make it. As a 6-foot-2 defenseman who skates well there is some pro appeal there. He has some offense, showing a good shot, ability to use his feet to jump into attacks and flashes of skill. I wouldn’t call his puck play overly inspiring though and I have a hard time seeing him be a true puck-mover at higher levels. The size and skating allows him to defend well but the lack of skill and sense will push him as he advances to the pros.

126. Charles Leddy, RHD, USA U-18 (NTDP)

January 11, 2004 | 6′ 0″ | 186 pounds

Analysis: Leddy is a competitive defenseman with decent size and mobility who can make some stops, but doesn’t really have that much puck-moving ability.

141. Petr Hauser, RW, SPARTA JR. (CZREP-JR.)

September 19, 2003 | 6′ 3″ | 200 pounds

Analysis: Hauser is a big winger with very good hands and some scoring touch but I don’t see him make that many plays, and his footspeed is an issue for higher levels.

166. Josh Filmon, LW, SWIFT CURRENT (WHL)

March 18, 2004 | 6′ 2″ | 157 pounds

Hockey sense: NHL average

Background: Filmon is a player whose stock has risen considerably after being a fourth-round pick in his WHL Bantam Draft. He was part of Canada’s U18 team.

Analysis: Filmon’s athletic tool kit is the main draw. He’s 6-foot-2, he skates quite well, and has room to fill out in his frame too. He can carry pucks through the neutral zone to create controlled entries. He has some offense, with good flashes of individual skill and creating for his teammates, but I wouldn’t consider him a true driver of offense. He’s good but not great offensively or defensively so he may be a tweener between the NHL and AHL, but his size and speed will give him a chance to make it.

198. Artem Barabosha, RHD, CSKA 2 (RUSSIA-JR.)

March 18, 2004 | 6′ 2″ | 189 pounds

Background: Barobosha is a 6-2 defenseman who had four points and 11 points in 47 MHL games this season on a good junior club.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

Rangers plz!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Capitals please!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dallas, baby! Tell me how good my good big boi is!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

WeaponX posted:

Rangers plz!

Pronman gives them a B-

Liked what they did but they get dinged for not having the high picks. Basically sounds like they picked some guys who have a shot at being decent bottom six guys but when you're picking that late in the draft it's a crapshoot

quote:

The Rangers didn’t have many high picks, but the few they had, I liked what they did. I think both Adam Sykora and Bryce Mcconell-Barker have legit chances to become NHL players, even if likely at the bottom of a lineup.

quote:

63. Adam Sykora, LW, NITRA (SLOVAKIA)

September 7, 2004 | 5′ 10″ | 172 pounds

Background: Sykora played well versus men and in international play this season. He got a regular shift on a top club team in Slovakia’s pro league. He also represented Slovakia at the U18, U20 and senior team levels.

Analysis: Sykora has good puck skills, vision, a high compete level and has shown at an early age he can be a versatile player versus pros. Sykora is 5-foot-10, though, and while he has decent skating ability and some offense, the question is whether that tool kit has enough to it for him to be a full-time NHL player. He is one of the youngest players in the draft class, so there is room for projection and I could see him getting some games.

quote:

97. Bryce Mcconnell-Barker, C, SAULT STE. MARIE (OHL)

June 4, 2004 | 6′ 1″ | 193 pounds

Background: Mcconnell-Barker was a notable player for the Soo this season and was a regular on the power play. His point totals don’t stand out but they had a deep offensive team and he was often on the second power-play unit. He was invited to Canada’s U18 camp in the summer and was the fourth pick in his OHL Draft.

Analysis: Mcconell-Barker is a talented offensive player. He shows strong puck skills and overall creativity as a playmaker. He can pick corners and find seams off the half-wall and create off the rush with his skill and vision. He lacks speed for the NHL, but he works hard enough off the puck and will earn the trust of coaches. He projects as a full-time bottom-six forward whether at center or the wing.

quote:

111. Noah Laba, C, LINCOLN (USHL)

August 4, 2003 | 6′ 2″ | 191 pounds

Analysis: Noah Laba is a big, competitive center with some skill but scouts are concerned by his skating.

159. Vittorio Mancini, RHD, NEBRASKA-OMAHA (NCHC)

May 26, 2002 | 6′ 3″ | 215 pounds

Analysis: Victor Mancini is an impressive athlete who is big and skates well enough for his frame. The puck-moving/offense is the big question in his game.

quote:

161. Maxim Barbashev, LW, MONCTON (QMJHL)

December 18, 2003 | 6′ 1″ | 183 pounds

Background: Barbashev, the brother of Blues forward Ivan Barbashev, scored at a solid rate and was an important player for Moncton this season. His scoring rate dipped a bit from his previous season in Moncton, when he was a point-per-game player in 10 games.

Analysis: Barbashev is a skilled, competitive forward. There are moments you watch him and he can excite you with some of the plays he can make. My concern with him is a lack of speed and while he has some offense, he doesn’t drive the play or see the ice at a high level.

quote:

191. Zakary Karpa, C, HARVARD (ECAC)

March 25, 2002 | 6′ 2″ | 185 pounds

Analysis: Karpa is a highly competitive forward with size, but whether he has the pure speed and skill to be an NHL player will be his challenge.

Also, if you did not know, Karpa is the son of Dave Karpa, who played for the Rangers back in the Dark Years.

https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1545481424299589634?cxt=HHwWhIC85djK0_IqAAAA

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I dunno if Minten is going to be any good but I appreciate that he is such an off-the-board prototypical Dubas pick that three years down the line we can just point to him to evaluate Dubas' drafting style.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Paracaidas posted:

I'd be curious to hear their take on the habs picking Slafkovsky

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I love that NYR drafted someone named Vitorrio Mancini.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

WeaponX posted:

I love that NYR drafted someone named Vitorrio Mancini.

Someone's gotta fill the "Vinnie Letteri/Frank Vatrano void"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Avs would be really funny since they picked 2 dudes

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

Koopa Kid posted:

That's a sports psychology visualization thing! There's studies that suggest an expert can anticipate the result of a play just by looking at a picture or a short clip, whereas an amateur struggles to identify the outcome. Imagine a picture of a baseball pitcher taken just as the ball is leaving the pitcher's hand -- where is the ball going? I'd say... uhhh towards the plate generally? Whereas an expert player can identify it's a '2-seam fastball, low and in, just off the plate'. But to me, if you look at the various pictures of the pitchers, they are loving identical.

But yeah, all that stuff is voodoo magic, missing the forest for the trees. How many pullups Sam Bennett can do, a prospect's "compete" level, their skating ability, shot, vision, etc. is all trees to me. The forest is can you put up points against older competition? Then what do I care what tools you use to do it? McDavid, Crosby, and Tavares all went 1OA for good reason, putting up gaudy point totals as a 15-16 year old against 20 year old men is a good harbinger of talent.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Mind_Taker posted:

Capitals please!
2022 Draft Grade: B
The Capitals’ draft is a complicated one to grade. I think Ryan Chesley is a good player and will help the Caps down the line. This all comes down to Ivan Miroshnichenko. If he recovers as a player and person due to his health concerns and gets back to who he was a year ago the Capitals could easily have one of the better draft classes. If not, it’s hard to see too many NHL games from this group.

Draft Class
20. Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, OMSK KRYLIA (RUSSIA-2)

February 4, 2004 | 6′ 1″ | 185 pounds

Tier: Middle of the lineup player

Shot: High-end

Player comparable: Gabriel Landeskog

Background: Miroshnichenko played all season up versus men in Russia’s second-tier league in a regular role before his season ended in January due to being diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma. He scored one goal and two points at the U20 4 nations in November. He was the captain and a leading player for Russia’s U18 team when they won Hlinka Gretzky gold. He scored six goals and eight points in seven games at the U18 World Championships the previous season. He originally intended to play in Muskegon of the USHL instead of Russia the past two seasons but ran into visa issues.

Analysis: Miroshnichenko is a player with all the attributes you want in a top NHL winger. He’s got good size and strength. He’s a strong skater. He’s highly skilled. He can make plays and he’s highly competitive. His shot is a bullet and can be a weapon from the flank on a pro power play. He can beat defenders with speed, he can put pucks through legs, he can create at evens and on the power play. He has a bulky frame and can play a powerful style of game. He has the tools and track record of a projected top-line winger, but given his diagnosis he is being placed several tiers below that due to the significant uncertainty in his future projection — despite positive developments since the initial diagnosis.

Thoughts on the pick: Miroshnichenko was one of the most debated players in the draft this season. He was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma in the middle of the season, and that was a major risk factor to debate along with his passport. If anyone would do it though, I always had Washington circled. Miro, when healthy, is a top-end prospect, a potential top-3-to-5 pick who plays with speed, power and skill and can score a lot of goals. If he finds his game back and is healthy, he can help extend the Capitals’ contention window that is likely dwindling.

37. Ryan Chesley, RHD, USA U-18 (NTDP)

February 27, 2004 | 6′ 0″ | 201 pounds

Player comparable: Ryan Lindgren

Background: Chesley was a top-four defenseman for the U.S. NTDP this season, often playing on both special teams units. He represented Team USA’s U18 team as an underage. He’s committed to the University of Minnesota.

Analysis: Chesley has some physical assets that pop off the page from a pro projection. He’s an NHL-caliber skater who can transition pucks up ice very well with his speed. He has average size, but he’s quite strong and physical. With his mobility, he’s able to close on checks well, and often uses his body to land hard hits to separate pucks from players. He has good individual skill, with the hands to beat checks one-on-one and generate a lot of power off his one-timer. Chesley isn’t a gifted puck-mover though and can struggle at times with his puck distribution. He projects as a full-time second- or third-pair defenseman depending on how much the offense translates to higher levels.

70. Alexander Suzdalev, LW, HV 71 JR. (SWEDEN-JR.)

March 5, 2004 | 6′ 2″ | 177 pounds

Analysis: Suzdalev is a Russian-born player of dual ancestry who came up playing in Sweden and suited up for Sweden internationally this season while also being a productive scorer in the Swedish junior league. Suzdalev’s skill and creativity are what will interest NHL teams. He shows excellent puck skills to create offense in unique ways. Suzdalev is a strong passer but his IQ shows up both in terms of vision and his overall creativity with the puck. The talent is highly intriguing, especially in a 6-foot-2 frame, but Suzdalev’s game can lack pace and effort which he’ll need to improve to have success versus pros.

85. Ludwig Persson, LW, FROLUNDA JR. (SWEDEN-JR.)

October 8, 2003 | 6′ 0″ | 178 pounds

Shot: NHL average

Background: Persson was a highly productive player in Sweden’s junior league this season and has played SHL games over the past two seasons for Frolunda. He played in a tournament for Sweden’s U20 team this past summer and in April, and was a notable part of their U18 team in the 2020-21 season.

Analysis: Persson is quite dangerous inside the offensive zone. He’s a highly-skilled winger who can make crafty plays through defenders. He shows very good vision to make tough plays off the perimeter and combined with a strong shot he’s able to run a power play. Persson is a great junior player, but given his average size and footspeed there are questions on how his game translates to the pros.

149. Jake Karabela, C, GUELPH (OHL)

March 7, 2004 | 5′ 10″ | 172 pounds

Analysis: Karabela was an important player for Guelph who played all situations for them and was a big part of their power play. Karabela’s skill is the thing that stands out the most when you watch him. He has slick puck skills, showing great ability to control the puck under pressure and beat defenders with his hands despite not possessing great speed or reach. Inside the offensive zone, due to his creativity, he can generate quite a few chances and moves the puck around well on a power play. He lacks size but works hard, can PK and doesn’t shy from battles. Karabela’s major issue for the NHL will be his skating as he lacks the ability to separate versus better players.

181. Ryan Hofer, RW, EVERETT (WHL)

May 10, 2002 | 6′ 3″ | 181 pounds

Analysis: Ryan Hofer is a re-entry prospect with good size and compete and some skill but whether the pure talent level is high enough for the NHL is the debate in his game.

213. David Gucciardi, LHD, MICHIGAN STATE (BIG10)

October 9, 2002 | 6′ 1″ | 185 pounds

Analysis: Gucciardi has intriguing talent. He’s a strong skater with a good skill level and has a hard point shot. On his best shift he can pop and make an impact. His decision-making is questionable though, and he needs work on the defensive side of the puck.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'd be curious to hear their take on the habs picking Slafkovsky

2022 Draft Grade: A+
The host team brought in the most talent into their organization at the draft floor in my eyes. They started off by grabbing the best player in the draft in Juraj Slafkovsky. They then added highly skilled players in winger Filip Mesar and defenseman Lane Hutson, a two-way forward in Owen Beck, and with a high quantity of picks they selected various guys later on who I believe at least have a chance to play. I think this is a draft that could produce at least two or three NHL players for the Habs — and ones who can make a difference.

Draft Class
1. Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, TPS (FINLAND)

March 30, 2004 | 6′ 4″ | 229 pounds

Tier: Bubble NHL All-Star and top of the lineup player

Puck skills: Above NHL average

Player comparable: Rick Nash

Background: Slafkovsky was a regular player for a top Liiga club in TPS this season albeit without great production overall. He was named MVP of the Olympics where he played a huge role in Slovakia earning a bronze medal. He was named a top three played for Slovakia at the World Championships. He played a notable role on Slovakia’s U20 team which outshot Sweden by a 2:1 margin in a world juniors game. He played for Slovakia’s national team in the World Championships as a U17 player. He was a top player for the Slovakian U20 team as a 16-year-old and a top player for a top Finland junior team in 2021.

Analysis: Slafkovsky has all the assets you’re looking for in a top NHL forward. He’s a 6-foot-4 winger who can beat opponents with speed and skill. He posseses outstanding puck skills, and can put pucks through legs and sticks at a very high rate. Slafkovsky can use finesse, or power and quickness to get around defenders. Slafkovsky can also set up and finish plays well. Physically, he won’t run over guys but his compete is good enough. He projects as a top-line winger with the potential to pop and become be a true star in the NHL.

Thoughts on the pick: In Slafkovsky, the Montreal Canadiens get the best player in the 2022 NHL Draft, and the player with the best chance to become a star. He showed this due to his unique skill set, being a high-end athlete with high-end offensive skills and showing unique flashes of elite play this season even if it wasn’t consistent. He becomes a key part of their rebuild, with at least a chance to become a 40 goal/40 assist winger in his prime.

26. Filip Mesar, RW, POPRAD (SLOVAKIA)

January 3, 2004 | 5′ 10″ | 174 pounds

Player comparable: Alexander Barabanov

Background: Mesar has played pro hockey in Slovakia the last two seasons. He was a top forward at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup in the summer. He made Slovakia’s world junior team in a scoring role and also played well in games for Slovakia’s senior team.

Analysis: Mesar’s game is defined by speed and pace. He’s one of the better skaters in this draft, with the ability to burn up the neutral zone to create clean entries with speed. He has good skill and playmaking ability, and shows he can make tough plays with the puck with pace. Mesar lacks size at 5-foot-10 and isn’t an overly physical player. His compete is good enough for me but probably not where you want for an undersized player. I think with his speed, skill and scoring ability he can carve out a career as a top-nine winger though.

Thoughts on the pick: Filip Mesar played opposite Slafkovsky’s power play flank on Slovakia’s U18 team. He’s a player who brings a lot of speed and skill to the table and has the potential to score goals and help an NHL power play down the line.

33. Owen Beck, C, MISSISSAUGA (OHL)

February 3, 2004 | 5′ 11″ | 187 pounds

Background: Owen Beck played a significant role on a good OHL team. He was a regular in every important situation. He was the 29th pick in his OHL draft.

Analysis: Beck brings an intriguing amount of speed and skill to his shifts. He has NHL-level skating, and is able to make highly-skilled plays through checks at full speed. He shows the ability to be able to set up his teammates well while also being able to finish in tight or from the circles. Beck isn’t the biggest forward, but he competes well, can PK and doesn’t shy from getting inside by using his speed. He projects as a bottom six forward, likely on the wing.

62. Lane Hutson, LHD, USA U-18 (NTDP)

February 14, 2004 | 5′ 8″ | 158 pounds

Hockey sense: High-end

Player comparable: Torey Krug

Background: Hutson was a top four defenseman for the U.S. NTDP all season and generated a lot of offense. He was invited to the U18 team as an underage player where he was a top player for that team as well, being named one of the top three players at the U18 World Championships in 2021 for USA. He was named top defenseman of the 2022 U18 Worlds. He’s committed to Boston University.

Analysis: Hutson is a constant threat with the puck on his stick. He’s the smartest player in the draft. He makes so many seam passes to generate chances. Hutson is also a highly-skilled puckhandler who shows great creativity off the offensive blue line. He makes a lot of crafty fakes and dekes to evade pressure. He’s not the fastest skater, but his edgework is quite good and allows him to use his skating to attack. The offense is clear NHL quality. Whether a barely 5-foot-9 defenseman who isn’t an elite skater can defend in the NHL is the question with Hutson. He’s a competitive, quality defender versus juniors and college opponents but that will need to be a test he’ll need to clear down the line. I think he plays in the NHL, and projects as an offensive-tilted top-four defenseman, but I realize the odds are against a player who looks like him becoming that. I stamp him this high because he’s the smartest player in the draft and I see just enough to the rest of his game to be able to elevate at higher levels.

75. Vinzenz Rohrer, C, OTTAWA (OHL)

September 9, 2004 | 5′ 10″ | 167 pounds

Background: Rohrer played a big role for the 67’s, lining up on both special teams. He was also an important player for Austria’s U20 team. He’s one of the youngest players that I rate as a prospect in this class.

Analysis: Rohrer is a very skilled and intelligent forward. He has the slick hands to beat defenders at a high rate. He shows great vision to find seams and create off the perimeter. Rohrer isn’t that big and won’t run guys over, but he works hard off the puck. His skating, especially for his size, could use a few extra steps for the pros but he’s not slow. It’s why it’s hard to slot him onto an NHL team as of now, but his skill gives him a chance.

92. Adam Engstrom, LHD, DJURGARDEN JR. (SWEDEN-JR.)

November 17, 2003 | 6′ 2″ | 185 pounds

Background: Engstrom played all situations for a top junior team in Sweden in Djurgarden this season.

Analysis: Engstrom has a lot of qualities that make him an interesting NHL prospect. He’s a 6-foot-2, fluid, powerful skater that can transition pucks up ice and close well on oncoming forwards. Offensively he doesn’t stand out, but he can make a decent outlet pass and has a hard point shot. Whether he excels enough at either end of the rink to carve out an NHL role is the debate with Engstrom, but his tool kit gives him a chance.

127. Cedrick Guindon, LW, OWEN SOUND (OHL)

April 21, 2004 | 5′ 10″ | 170 pounds

Background: Guindon was a productive player for Owen Sound, scoring 30 goals in 68 OHL games. He was the 10th pick in his OHL draft and was a summer U18 camp invite for Canada.

Analysis: Guindon is a very good skater. He’s strong in transition due to his speed and skill and has a good shot as well. He lacks ideal NHL size, though, and while he has some offense he’s not a true driver of play with his skill and playmaking. What his NHL role would be is questionable but the talent is intriguing enough.

130. Jared Davidson, C, SEATTLE (WHL)

July 7, 2002 | 5′ 11″ | 179 pounds

Background: Jared Davidson played a big role as an older player on Seattle and was a big reason why they went to the WHL finals. He’s highly skilled, can make plays and competes well enough but isn’t the best skater and has average size.

162. Emmett Croteau, G, WATERLOO (USHL)

December 7, 2003 | 6′ 3″ | 195 pounds

Analysis: Croteau is a good-sized goaltender who moves well enough in the crease to have some pro intrigue. He was quite inconsistent this season, though, mostly due to iffy decision making at times per scouts I talked to about him.

194. Petteri Nurmi, LHD, HPK (FINLAND)

January 12, 2002 | 6′ 0″ | 167 pounds

Analysis: Nurmi is a mobile defenseman who is smart and defends well. I don’t see much puck-moving in his game or much overall upside for the NHL other than a potential depth piece.

216. Miguel Tourigny, RHD, ACADIE-BATHURST (QMJHL)

February 9, 2002 | 5′ 8″ | 168 pounds

Background: Tourigny was one of the top defensemen in the CHL and scored both goals and points at a very high rate for a defenseman, even accounting for the fact he’s a 19-year-old. He was also invited to Canada’s U20 camp in the summer.

Analysis: Tourigny is a dynamic player. His skating pops, with the top-end speed to beat checkers wide and lead a rush in transition. He’s an elusive skater with good edgework and is very hard to check on retrievals, despite his diminutive frame. He’s a very smart puck-mover who can make tough, skilled plays with pace and from a standstill, showing ability to hit seams from the offensive blue line. Tourigny is a great passer, but also had a great shot as evidenced by his goal totals the last two seasons. The one obvious drawback is his frame, he’s a tiny defenseman by NHL standards at 5-foot-8. He competes well and defends well enough in junior but whether he can take a regular NHL shift is the question. He’s so talented, and the skating is so good I think he has a very good chance to play games and help an organization, but I can’t just yet stamp him as a guy who is going to have a legitimate NHL career.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Avs would be really funny since they picked 2 dudes
Draft Grade: D
Colorado didn’t have much to do on the draft floor, with only a sixth- and seventh-round pick, the byproduct of many deals made to make their NHL team better. Flags Fly Forever, so I imagine there are no regrets on that front. But there’s an obvious reality that the Avs added very little to their prospect pool this week.

Draft Class
193. Chris Romaine, RHD, MILTON ACADEMY (HIGH-MA)

February 21, 2004 | 6′ 0″ | 190 pounds

Analysis: Romaine is a good skater. He can move the puck well enough but the offense doesn’t pop off the page with him.

225. Ivan Zhigalov, G, SHERBROOKE (QMJHL)

April 30, 2003 | 6′ 3″ | 167 pounds

Analysis: Zhigalov is a talented right-glove goaltender. He’s quite athletic and can make a lot of tough stops. He’s a little too erratic in net with his movement and scrambles a lot. He can also be too prone to the soft goal.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Dallas, baby! Tell me how good my good big boi is!
2022 Draft Grade: B
The Ontario defensemen Dallas drafted in Christian Kyrou and George Fegaras have some shot to make it, but this class for me is all about their first pick: Lian Bichsel. I love his upside, and if he hits, you could get an impactful top-four defenseman. If he doesn’t and he’s a low-offense PK type, you’re not as excited about this group.

Draft Class
18. Lian Bichsel, LHD, LEKSAND (SWEDEN)

May 18, 2004 | 6′ 6″ | 225 pounds

Player comparable: K’Andre Miller

Background: Bichsel played very well in Sweden’s junior ranks and got extended time with Leksands SHL team. He made Switzerland’s world juniors team in a notable role and was a top player for their U18 team. He was also named one of Switzerland’s best players at the U18 worlds the prior season. A concussion ended his season in the spring.

Analysis: Bichsel’s physical tools are quite evident. He’s a 6-foot-5 defenseman who skates well for his size, is physical and has some offensive touch. He can carry and create through the neutral zone due to his feet and skills and shows some creativity from the offensive blue line. He has good hands but there isn’t much playmaking or poise in his puck play. Defensively he’s quite good due to his reach, feet and physicality. He closes gaps like a pro and can be trusted to play hard minutes as he advances levels. Bichsel projects top four defenseman with the potential to play higher in a lineup if the offense translates.

Thoughts on the pick: Bichsel adds a much needed element to the Stars system. He’s a big, mobile, nasty defenseman to play against who provides secondary offense. Miro Heiskanen and Thomas Harley to a lesser extent are the puck-movers of the future for Dallas, but Bichsel will be a nightmare for top forwards to match up with in the mold of players like Erik Cernak and K’Andre Miller.

50. Christian Kyrou, RHD, ERIE (OHL)

September 16, 2003 | 5′ 10″ | 172 pounds

Background: Kyrou was one of the top scoring defensmen in the OHL this season. He is the brother of Blues forward Jordan Kyrou and was the 84th pick in his OHL draft.

Analysis: Kyrou is a very skilled defenseman with a good point shot. He can make plays through opponents routinely and shows great creativity as a handler and passer. He is overall a threat on the man advantage. He projects to provide offense as a pro, but whether he can provide all-around value is the question. Unlike his brother Jordan who is an explosive skater, Christian’s skating is just fine, but for a 5-foot-10 defenseman it’s not the kind of mobility you’d like for the NHL.

83. George Fegaras, RHD, NORTH YORK (OJHL)

April 26, 2004 | 6′ 1″ | 188 pounds

Analysis: Fegaras drew scout intrigue this season as a 6-foot-1 right-shot defenseman who can skate well and showed a little offense. Whether he has the natural puck-moving ability for higher levels is my big question with him.

115. Gavin White, RHD, HAMILTON (OHL)

November 12, 2002 | 6′ 0″ | 185 pounds

Background: Gavin White scored 56 points in 66 OHL games as a re-entry prospect. He’s known more for his puck-moving than his all-around game.

147. Maxim Mayorov, G, TOGLIATTI 2 (RUSSIA-JR.)

June 13, 2004 | 6′ 6″ | 196 pounds

Background: Maxim Mayorov is a large goalie who shows good hockey sense and poise in net and performed quite well at the junior level this season.

179. Matthew Seminoff, RW, KAMLOOPS (WHL)

December 27, 2003 | 5′ 11″ | 180 pounds

Background: Seminoff has become an important all-situations player for a top WHL team over the last two seasons. He’s been a riser after being a fifth-round pick in his WHL bantam draft.

Analysis: Seminoff is a talented winger who can make plays. He’s not the most dynamic undersized player you’ll ever see in terms of speed or skill, but he plays hard. Seminoff can create off the rush and around the net. The overall package may not be enough to have a long career but because he works I think he plays some games.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Thanks!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Keith Mars posted:

That's a sports psychology visualization thing! There's studies that suggest an expert can anticipate the result of a play just by looking at a picture or a short clip, whereas an amateur struggles to identify the outcome.

Identifying the correct play is all well and good, but if you can't execute any of them it isn't worth poo poo.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
yeah I think the last couple Dallas drafts they knocked it out of the park.. the early reviews were strong and the development of the prospects this year exceeded even those expectations. This draft class feels like a significant step back from 2020 and 2021, but nothing terrible.. good chance to get a NHL regular and a couple fringe players, it's enough considering where the Stars system is right now. I wouldn't want to see them do this again next year though.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Identifying the correct play is all well and good, but if you can't execute any of them it isn't worth poo poo.
Agreed, not justifying the pick, just pointing out the rationalization behind a seemingly bizarre exercise.

I'm not thrilled with the Sharks' draft, they traded down from 11 to reach on a giant center who can kinda skate whose only qualifications is that he's big, can kinda skate, and plays center. Ok. Hopefully he figures out how to play hockey? Then we use one of the additional picks on a tiny offensive-minded RHD which is the one single thing we don't need in our prospect pool. The later picks obviously don't matter. The Sharks draft like rear end in the late first (Norris at 19 in 2017 was a good pick, but lol how that turned out), so I'm not sure dropping from 11 for a pair of lottery tickets for the next Robertson or Aho is worth it.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
What are some examples people consider to be most succesful single draft years for a team?

Preferably in the sense of getting the most value out of --as many as possible of-- their own picks, not just picking one superstar player - even if those might be more useful than 7 good picks from another team in the same year.

Porrima fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 9, 2022

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Porrima posted:

What are some examples people consider to be most succesful single draft years for a team?

Preferably in the sense of getting the most value out of --as many as possible of-- their own picks, not just picking one superstar player - even if those might be more useful than 7 good picks from another team in the same year.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/list/best-nhl-draft-class-of-all-time-ever-every-nhl-team/1bpf9lqudvjj31fv8bg1tf174h

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Porrima posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Porrima posted:

Calgary's is either 1981 (MacInnis and Vernon), or more likely 84 (Roberts, Ranheim, Hull, Hrdina, Suter).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 9, 2022