Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is going #1 overall?
Juraj Slafkovsky, LW
Shane Wright, C
Logan Cooley, C
David Jiricek, D
The Field
View Results

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Listening to Pronman and co: If Wright goes first, the top of the draft will be mostly chalk. If Slaffy goes first, poo poo gonna get wild

Gotta go with Slaffy 1OA then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Paracaidas posted:

I'm really curious (and wholly inequipped to judge myself) if Lambert has earned his falling stock, or if it's a herd safety thing right now. Once he drops past 15 or so (arguably past 10), it's tough for a scout or GM to defend taking him if he turns out to be a bust: Look at all these teams who realized he was overrated, hell, he might not have gone in the first at all if you weren't so bad at your job.

That's a much less comfortable position to be in than going to the owner, pointing to everyone else letting him slide, and using that to justify missing on him when someone grabs him in the late 20s and he turns into the stud folks expected a year ago. "Look boss, it wasn't just me who got this wrong!"

Lambert has the highest upside in the draft, he's very talented but has crap production. That's dangerous as a top 10-15 pick (and I really hope the Red Wings don't pick him) but that's a good shot to shoot late in the 1st.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's draft day! Time for GMs to drag their feet about doing anything until they're all forced to be gathered on the draft floor at 5pm.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I hope Gary has recovered from Covid and he gets the booing he missed at the finals.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/1545046006399569920?s=20&t=EKgqW8Cm0lqmcWBwGNVMTQ

See, the devils should just give the no 2 pick to the Rangers just because they are the Rangers. Makes sense.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Two near busts for the second overall pick? Sounds like a deal to me! Great thinking Larry.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i still like kakko but i don't know how much value he carries in a trade for the 2nd overall pick. it's also very funny because the 2nd overall this year will likely be the same caliber of prospect as kakko, so i'm not even sure what the point would be other than the rangers hate him and want him off the roster and are willing to pay extra to get it done

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Rangers would be really dumb to sell low on Kakko but hopefully they do!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Lambert has the highest upside in the draft, he's very talented but has crap production. That's dangerous as a top 10-15 pick (and I really hope the Red Wings don't pick him) but that's a good shot to shoot late in the 1st.

When was the last time a prodigal prospect had their production drop between their 16- and 17-year-old seasons (and not for injury reasons) and actually turn out to be a great player?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Everyone’s favourite failed video coach Jack Han has a video up on Slafkovsky:

https://jhanhky.substack.com/p/juraj-slavkovsky-video-breakdown

I’d recommend skipping past his intro to when he actually starts breaking down clips (about 4:00).

tl;dr guy’s obviously really good, has a tendency to get puck focused/chasing and is north-south biased in ways that would need to be worked on for him to be crazy productive in the NHL, but imo that’s lots of guys at his age especially when they’re used to being big fish in lower-level teams.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

As is the tradition, PITB did their yearly best names in the draft list:
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/the-20-best-names-available-in-the-2022-nhl-entry-draft-5556848

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

don't really know anything about these kids but i do know that the flyers will probably do dumb poo poo

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That list can get hosed, there are not three better names than Rutger McGroarty.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

eXXon posted:

That list can get hosed, there are not three better names than Rutger McGroarty.

I will accept arguments for Jagger and Jagger only.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

T-Bone posted:

The Rangers would be really dumb to sell low on Kakko but hopefully they do!

Is trading Kakko for the 2ndOA pick really “selling low” on him? It’s pretty much the best case hypothetical trade involving him

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is trading Kakko for the 2ndOA pick really “selling low” on him? It’s pretty much the best case hypothetical trade involving him

The best case is trading him for an established but still young impact forward on a fair deal, someone like a Pavel Buchnevich.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

the rangers would definitely need to add to kakko to get 2OA

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Do Ranger fans who want the Devils to trade 2 for Kakko realize that the Devils and their fans see Kakko play a whole lot?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Do Ranger fans who want the Devils to trade 2 for Kakko realize that the Devils and their fans see Kakko play a whole lot?

Isnt Larry Brooks so insanely homerish that even Rags fans ignore anything he says or posts?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

OldSenileGuy posted:

no I just mean in general, they're not gonna get anything close to the 2OA for him right now that's a joke post by Brooksie

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1545110689982955521?s=20&t=EKgqW8Cm0lqmcWBwGNVMTQ

Devils want to get smaller?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Seems like a tough sell when Gaudreau is still dangling right there and Tarasenko is likely to be a cheaper to acquire just as talented rental

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

How the gently caress did 30 teams pass on DeBrincat, and some twice?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Mind_Taker posted:

How the gently caress did 30 teams pass on DeBrincat, and some twice?

He tiny

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/BenPopeCST/status/1545121319850835968

Could be ANYTHING.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The quality of a draft night/UFA day/TDL is pretty much inversely proportional to how much hype it gets, so tonight is likely to be a wet turd.

That's okay. I'll still keep watching that garbage.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
It's just so weird to me that the Hawks are so desperate to get into the first round of this draft.

Debrincat can absolutely fetch a 2023 1st from somebody

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm getting impatient where are the trades?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I'm getting impatient where are the trades?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Seems like a tough sell when Gaudreau is still dangling right there and Tarasenko is likely to be a cheaper to acquire just as talented rental

He could be traded , but Blues are a likely playoff team next year so I think they’ll roll the dice on one more year of Tarasenko and then risk losing him in FA (I bet they’ll try and sign him, we will see there).

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1545172839996817410

Okay then

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

i would like montreal to pick the best player in the draft tyvm

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
DONT GET CUTE HUGHES DRAFT WRIGHT YOU gently caress

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I demand stupid things!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
bonsoir monrreal

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Man his tremors are getting really bad

boo Bettman and all but it's hard to be into it when he's so visibly ill

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Just a tremendous amount of booing.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Man his tremors are getting really bad

boo Bettman and all but it's hard to be into it when he's so visibly ill

is he ill? i always thought that was just a nervous tic when speaking in public

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

For US Goons, guess what we get this year with each pick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxWMAWWJCM0

I'm irrationally excited about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Yaya posted:

It's just so weird to me that the Hawks are so desperate to get into the first round of this draft.

Debrincat can absolutely fetch a 2023 1st from somebody

Yeah, it doesn't really make any sense, especially when the Senators didn't include anything else of significant value. Friedman was just asked about it, and he said it feels like they just wanted to make this trade, even though there was no reason to force it. The prior rumors also seemed to indicate that Davidson was asking for a much better return than this, but looks like Ottawa called his bluff and then some.