Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is going #1 overall?
Juraj Slafkovsky, LW
Shane Wright, C
Logan Cooley, C
David Jiricek, D
The Field
View Results

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
wow he can juggle like a pro

This is already an amazing draft :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

it's a good move IMO.. you always take a chance on draft / prospect pedigree if the price is reasonable. If Montreal can work with Dach and get a young 40+ point player out of the deal that's huge upside for them

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

lol Bettman gotta retire and move into the old folks home

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

it's the Stars turn!!! let's go!!!

Word on the street is that the Stars are picking a defenseman, but I think most people at this point are hoping for them to pick up the sliding Brad Lambert...

picking based on positional need can wait till the 2nd round! come on Dallas, do the right thing!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

lol Tom Gaglardi is looking even fatter than I remember..

edit: yeaahhhh.. a big lumbering defenseman. Great.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

stab posted:

Lol the stars drafted Tall Luca Sbisa

lol Pierre McGuire just made the Oleksiak comparison.. yeah I remember Jamie Oleksiak, he washed out of the organization before having his career resurrected by Crosby and the penguins!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Sounds like the Capitals made a great selection there.. elite goalscoring talent at this point in the draft is a steal

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

lol jimmy snugaroo

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Chicago just keeps knocking it out of the park huh

I mean has been a solid goalie before while healthy.. but why does Chicago want that right now? they just traded away DeBrincat and Dach for draft picks

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Just popping in to say that I'm pumped for the Stars newest addition. I mean he can't score or dish or do other hockey things but BIG BIG BIG CAN'T TEACH THAT!

I'm of two minds on the topic.. on one hand Tampa Bay has had a tremendous amount of success featuring a blueline where 6'-1" 215 pound Ryan McDonagh was the small guy.

On the other hand, literally every other team that tries this crap blows up.

I am choosing to remain optimistic that the Stars scouts aren't bullshitting when they claim he's a much more dynamic player than the Jamie Oleksiaks and Jani Hakanpaas of the world.. If they can get a useful 2nd pairing defender that plays 20 minutes a night and does the dirty work for the team I guess that's a major success.

I would feel better about the pick if the Stars were doing bpa on day 2 and not taking a defenseman with every selection (including a guy who will turn 20 in November with their last selection in the 4th round)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I think it's worth pointing out that Hedman was the only player on Tampa's blueline that they drafted though. So while it's a good point they have a big defensive core, they aren't players Tampa drafted and developed.

this is absolutely true lol.. and the Stars track record of developing this type of defender is NOT GOOD to say the least lol

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

yeah I think the last couple Dallas drafts they knocked it out of the park.. the early reviews were strong and the development of the prospects this year exceeded even those expectations. This draft class feels like a significant step back from 2020 and 2021, but nothing terrible.. good chance to get a NHL regular and a couple fringe players, it's enough considering where the Stars system is right now. I wouldn't want to see them do this again next year though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Porrima posted:

What are some examples people consider to be most succesful single draft years for a team?

Preferably in the sense of getting the most value out of --as many as possible of-- their own picks, not just picking one superstar player - even if those might be more useful than 7 good picks from another team in the same year.

The draft that everyone is talking about for the Stars lately is the 2017 draft, where they ended up with 3 franchise player level talents in Miro Heiskanen, Jason Robertson and Jake Oettinger (who are now basically the core of their team) as well as Jacob Peterson who has the look of a solid depth player but probably won't be around for more than a few years.

There's been quite a few drafts where the Stars ended up with 3 or 4 guys who played all played a few seasons or more in the NHL, but none of those groupings were players that were as impactful as these three look to be.

That being said, the 2021 draft class may actually eclipse 2017 for the Stars, although it's obviously too early to tell. The Stars ended up taking 10 players that year and the team has very high hopes for a number of them. Wyatt Johnston (who lead the CHL in scoring by a mile and won every single award the OHL has to give out) and Logan Stankoven (who lead the WHL is scoring on a per game basis and won CHL player of the year) are the two highlights of the class, and it's safe to say that the Stars haven't drafted anyone who has put up that kind of production in the junior leagues probably since Jarome Iginla lol. Very strange for Dallas fans to actually be excited about their prospect system.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 9, 2022