Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is going #1 overall?
Juraj Slafkovsky, LW
Shane Wright, C
Logan Cooley, C
David Jiricek, D
The Field
View Results

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1545431623310655491?s=20&t=D6Y99fLZ9HUHoRh9T5fGKg

I’m not against this sort of evaluation, but when it’s the reason you draft a guy who isn’t a plus skater, isn’t a good puck carrier or playmaker, didn’t put up numbers with mixed reports on his shooting… like, what is this guy supposed to actually do on the ice? I made a crack in the Offseason thread but it’s literally video coaches hiring guys who think like video coaches, at some point in evaluation you have to ask yourself what all this anticipation is worth in a guy with little physical talent.

Not to mention in a world where it’s pretty well proven you can still sort Canadian juniors by PPG and do well in the draft, Leafs had to grab a guy in the early second who had 55 in 67 games in the Dub? He was projected in the third round by basically everyone. Just big-brain nonsense.
That's a sports psychology visualization thing! There's studies that suggest an expert can anticipate the result of a play just by looking at a picture or a short clip, whereas an amateur struggles to identify the outcome. Imagine a picture of a baseball pitcher taken just as the ball is leaving the pitcher's hand -- where is the ball going? I'd say... uhhh towards the plate generally? Whereas an expert player can identify it's a '2-seam fastball, low and in, just off the plate'. But to me, if you look at the various pictures of the pitchers, they are loving identical.

But yeah, all that stuff is voodoo magic, missing the forest for the trees. How many pullups Sam Bennett can do, a prospect's "compete" level, their skating ability, shot, vision, etc. is all trees to me. The forest is can you put up points against older competition? Then what do I care what tools you use to do it? McDavid, Crosby, and Tavares all went 1OA for good reason, putting up gaudy point totals as a 15-16 year old against 20 year old men is a good harbinger of talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Identifying the correct play is all well and good, but if you can't execute any of them it isn't worth poo poo.
Agreed, not justifying the pick, just pointing out the rationalization behind a seemingly bizarre exercise.

I'm not thrilled with the Sharks' draft, they traded down from 11 to reach on a giant center who can kinda skate whose only qualifications is that he's big, can kinda skate, and plays center. Ok. Hopefully he figures out how to play hockey? Then we use one of the additional picks on a tiny offensive-minded RHD which is the one single thing we don't need in our prospect pool. The later picks obviously don't matter. The Sharks draft like rear end in the late first (Norris at 19 in 2017 was a good pick, but lol how that turned out), so I'm not sure dropping from 11 for a pair of lottery tickets for the next Robertson or Aho is worth it.