Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is going #1 overall?
Juraj Slafkovsky, LW
Shane Wright, C
Logan Cooley, C
David Jiricek, D
The Field
View Results

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Porrima posted:

What are some examples people consider to be most succesful single draft years for a team?

Preferably in the sense of getting the most value out of --as many as possible of-- their own picks, not just picking one superstar player - even if those might be more useful than 7 good picks from another team in the same year.

Calgary's is either 1981 (MacInnis and Vernon), or more likely 84 (Roberts, Ranheim, Hull, Hrdina, Suter).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

I went looking for the worst draft in the cap era. My criteria heading into this is a team that had no one from a drafted year ever play in the NHL. Also, they needed to have a first-round pick. I also ignored any draft in the past 4-5 seasons, because it's still too early.

In 2006, with 8 draft picks, the Calgary Flames managed to only get Leland Irving who played 13 NHL games.

In the same year, the Lightning had 4 picks, and managed to draft two players to combine for 7 games.

Interesting about 2006 was the Lightning and Flames both used their first-round pick on a goalie. The other two goalie picks in the first-round? Bernier and Varlamov.

The 2008 Montreal Canadiens are the only team I found with no picks that made the NHL, but their highest was the 56th overall pick.

Honestly a good chunk of Calgary 's drafts in the 90s would qualify