Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
Apparently Kyle said something ridiculous in the have-not room that caused Terrance to blow (from what I pieced together) and Kyle was apologizing to him and Monte all week for whatever it was. A shame that it (predictably) wasn't shown. If you need "advice" constantly about how not to think that way, it goes far beyond the Big Brother house. You're 30 years old. Figure it out.

But whatever. Thank god I don't have to hear his obnoxious "Let's gooooo!" anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Michael is the new HoH!

Secks posted:

But whatever. Thank god I don't have to hear his obnoxious "Let's gooooo!" anymore.
I said the same thing to my partner, no idea why that upset me so much but the anger was visceral

no words for that kyle edit really, other than that combined with the feed cuts this whole thing is a joke and a sham

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Secks posted:

Apparently Kyle said something ridiculous in the have-not room that caused Terrance to blow (from what I pieced together) and Kyle was apologizing to him and Monte all week for whatever it was. A shame that it (predictably) wasn't shown. If you need "advice" constantly about how not to think that way, it goes far beyond the Big Brother house. You're 30 years old. Figure it out.

Let’s Gooooo is the mating call of YouTube influencer Preston plays, and is soooo terrible.

My kids have it on all the time

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This is what I was fearing would happen after the Cookout was such a success.

Because it was the most successful alliance in the game, surely people would try to replicate that, and how are house guests ever supposed to question if another Cookout style alliance has formed? The whole point of the Cookout was to disguise it by making the members seem like they are on opposite ends of the house, so no one suspected anything until it was too late.

The Cookout was good for the game, but also really bad for the game. Minority players aren't ever going to be able to play the game without people assuming they are all obviously working together, and if you are not a minority you have to learn from this Kyle incident and indirectly find a way to target minority players if you suspect there is a Cookout.

The problem with Big Brother before was the casting didn't really give minority players much of a chance because of both the numbers and types of people they would cast. CBS has changed that, and I think we would have naturally had a black winner without a Cookout alliance under this new casting style. It also doesn't help when you have minority players bringing race into the game like when Taylor refused to nominate Jasmine even though they were on opposite sides. If that is something Taylor is explicitly telling the other house guests, how do you expect people not to think that people are playing based on race?

Big Brother is broken at this point. Axe it and give us more seasons of The Amazing Race.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

TyrantWD posted:

If that is something Taylor is explicitly telling the other house guests, how do you expect people not to think that people are playing based on race?

Because she made it abundantly clear she was fine with Jasmine going if someone else wanted to nominate her. She herself said it was her personal decision to not be the one who put her up, but she was fine if someone else in the alliance did. And when they did, she voted her out. This same exact thing is seen in all the other seasons when someone has said that about another person they were close with in the game. Either to not nominate that other person or publicly declare they can't vote to evict them (usually be like the 1 vote to save). And even then, most of the time those players did everything in their power not to let that other person go (like Kyle with Alyssa), as opposed to Taylor who had the one specific caveat she wouldn't do (she nominated Terrance with no real issues and always voted with the alliance).

Basically that line of thinking resorts to unfair biases. i.e. Here's a mountain of evidence this isn't happening each week, but Kyle still acts as if it might, resulting in other players being marginalized for something they weren't doing.

It's especially bad because Kyle WAS IN THE MAJORITY group so he always knew what was happening. Any distance he felt was not helped by him always isolating himself with Alyssa.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Teek posted:

Because she made it abundantly clear she was fine with Jasmine going if someone else wanted to nominate her. She herself said it was her personal decision to not be the one who put her up, but she was fine if someone else in the alliance did. And when they did, she voted her out. This same exact thing is seen in all the other seasons when someone has said that about another person they were close with in the game. Either to not nominate that other person or publicly declare they can't vote to evict them (usually be like the 1 vote to save). And even then, most of the time those players did everything in their power not to let that other person go (like Kyle with Alyssa), as opposed to Taylor who had the one specific caveat she wouldn't do (she nominated Terrance with no real issues and always voted with the alliance).

Basically that line of thinking resorts to unfair biases. i.e. Here's a mountain of evidence this isn't happening each week, but Kyle still acts as if it might, resulting in other players being marginalized for something they weren't doing.

It's especially bad because Kyle WAS IN THE MAJORITY group so he always knew what was happening. Any distance he felt was not helped by him always isolating himself with Alyssa.

Taylor not being willing to nominate against Jasmine, even if she is fine voting to evict her, for no other reason than because of race is exactly why players will assume the minority houseguests are working together Cookout style. The fact that you don't see evidence of them working together is exactly how The Cookout got far enough that they couldn't be stopped.

It is definitely not fair, but I don't see how Big Brother ever goes forward without this being something players are thinking about. Next season someone is going to assume there is another Cookout, but they will not say anything and make it look like they are targeting the minority players for different reasons, and there is not always going to be a Michael and Britney around to say hey, maybe we shouldn't do Big Brother race wars.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

Taylor not being willing to nominate against Jasmine, even if she is fine voting to evict her, for no other reason than because of race is exactly why players will assume the minority houseguests are working together Cookout style. The fact that you don't see evidence of them working together is exactly how The Cookout got far enough that they couldn't be stopped.

It was flawed reasoning and Monte was right to be hit so hard by it. The Cookout never put themselves in a position to vote for each other until they had to. They always arranged for that to never be an issue. As opposed here where Jasmine, Taylor and Monte were putting other members of their "potential alliance" on the block to get voted out.

Kyle was always in a majority alliance while these decisions were being made about who was going on the block and going home. He was in the strongest position to know that wasn't the case and he was still doing it. Terrance pointed out the absurdity of that very thing when was told about Kyle's view, as he himself was constantly being put on the block by both the white and black HOHs and in danger of going home.

If you're operating on the notion that a "minority" alliance might be working in secret, then you're going in with a bias that can't be challenged. Monte, Taylor and Joseph were open about their moves (as much as anyone was) and it was still not good enough.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Teek posted:

If you're operating on the notion that a "minority" alliance might be working in secret, then you're going in with a bias that can't be challenged. Monte, Taylor and Joseph were open about their moves (as much as anyone was) and it was still not good enough.
It is a completely reasonable bias that Big Brothers players might come in with given everyone has seen it happen and be enormously successful. Maybe if the show goes long enough that The Cookout becomes something people forget about, and doesn't get replicated in any fashion for a while, people will drop that bias, but for now it is normal human behavior to be wary of something that could go against you because it happened last year, or the year before.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
He isolated himself by pairing with Alyssa and then projected that onto the PoC players -- he even said to Monte before leaving, "we didn't really talk much strategy after week 5", but he didn't realize that's because he isolated himself with Alyssa! Instead he thought there was something else going on, and his natural inclination to believe the worst of the PoC in the house is what made this happen.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

TyrantWD posted:

It is a completely reasonable bias that Big Brothers players might come in with given everyone has seen it happen and be enormously successful. Maybe if the show goes long enough that The Cookout becomes something people forget about, and doesn't get replicated in any fashion for a while, people will drop that bias, but for now it is normal human behavior to be wary of something that could go against you because it happened last year, or the year before.

I think this season was destined to have a post-Cookout confrontation about race in the house. It feels like it played out as well as it possibly could for all involved. It could have very easily been a very strong alliance full of Kyles who successfully made an all white alliance and picked off the black players one by one for the season which would have been a disaster for Big Brother and would have turned everyone and everything involved radioactive.

In some ways Kyle's racism was so cartoonish (the brazilian, Arab, and black guy from Chicago MUST be working together!) it lessened the impact of a straight on white people vs. black people fight. And just the way it played out in general seemed to address it in the most benign way possible.

Now that the conversation was had this season I don't see it being a huge problem in later seasons. Future contestants saw how bad an idea trying to create an anti-Cookout alliance would go over and anyone paranoid about another Cookout can look at this season and see that the black people in the house never had any real intention of doing anything like that and it's not at all a given that it would just naturally happen again.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

Holy poo poo, Michael won veto again.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Secks posted:

Holy poo poo, Michael won veto again.

Don't they all play veto from Final Five on? If they don't get him out on Thursday he's won the game.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

1glitch0 posted:

Don't they all play veto from Final Five on? If they don't get him out on Thursday he's won the game.

everyone plays from F6 on. He has to lose a veto for a shot to even be possible.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

curiousCat posted:

everyone plays from F6 on. He has to lose a veto for a shot to even be possible.

lol. He's won.

Liked Monte on the show tonight "All he has to do is slip up on one veto.... I'm not confident in what I'm saying."

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

Zings were pretty good. The one about Brittany's eyes was great and the DR montage of the reactions were perfect.

Apparently when Alyssa was zinged, she said that she didn't understand it and Zingbot said that he would speak slower so she could get it. I wish they left that in haha. She was the one who was begging for Zingbot to come and afterward, she was complaining about "being insulted by a fake robot in a fake house."

Zing!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Great BB Comics this year. I can't believe they used the phrase "reptile dysfunction"

Very flea-like behavior from Brittany, jumping from one host to another. I don't think they're going to be able to cover just how much Brittany has overplayed this week.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 8, 2022

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Michael is a loving comp monster god drat.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I get honoring your promise to Turner but bro Monte is right there

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Very good jury segment, much better than the actual episode covering Kyle-gate. It looks like Michael and Brittany screwed themselves. I wonder if it makes it to the jury Q&A at final 2.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Well rip Michael, a hell of a run and a shoe in as a future returner.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Lol he's loving pissed.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

This absolutely opens up the endgame. Big toss up going into the finale.

Michael was a great player, and it’s great to see players actually take that needed shot against that type of player.

Teek fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 9, 2022

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Great speech from Michael. I might have been swayed by it, but then I know that the jury doesn't like him.

Edit: Insane exit.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Teek posted:

The only thing here is the cookout did disguise it so well that it's not as easy to be like "obviously these people aren't working together." Derek F. and Tiffany pretty much hated each other and cookout members were mostly all closest to people outside the cookout, yet they still were working together behind the scenes. Black Survivor players in the last couple seasons also at least attempted to work together, so it definitely happens. That said, Kyle was still an idiot because he had no other reason to think anything was going on and lots of reasons not to think so. I mean, Ameerah and Nicole had just gone out and then it was only the one Daniel week before Indy followed, so really, like how did he ever get so worried about that idea except his own biases.

^burtle posted:

I get honoring your promise to Turner but bro Monte is right there
Yeah this ended up being a pretty big mistake as Monte won the veto over Michael to send him out of the house. Did he say at some point why he wouldn't just put up Monte?

Honestly I think Michael's pitch to Alyssa and Taylor was seriously convincing, even if he said to Julie after they were right to vote him out.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I believe Michael felt he also needed some big targets in the house to help lessen his target and not come after him next. Of course that completely assumes those big targets will still also stick to that line of thinking and not just strike you first, which they just did anyway.

His biggest mistake was not striking at either one during this last HOH of his.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Monte won HoH and put up Alyssa and Brittany, but Brittany pulled it off and won veto. Monte, as usual, has been playing the middle between Taylor and Turner. There's been some drama over whether the three girls are teaming up. I have a feeling they still perceive Alyssa as a jury favorite, so my guess is that Monte puts Taylor up as a replacement to get out Alyssa, even though IMO Taylor or Turner would be the much smarter move.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Somehow Monte wasn’t able to participate in the veto comp because he was late because of contacts issues? Very weird.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Apparently it was a wake-up veto, which makes sense given that the cast has been really bad about ignoring BB's wake-up calls. Monte tried to take a piss and put in his contacts before getting to the veto.

Brittany tried talking Monte into putting up Turner, but in traditional Brittany style ended up just annoying him. He's confirmed to the cams that the plan is to put up Taylor and get out Alyssa.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The vote might be flipping to Taylor. Brittany got upset about being excluded and went to Alyssa to vent. Alyssa spilled some good info and Brittany got mad at Taylor and set things in motion to vote her out. Game wise her justification is that she has an easier time beating Alyssa in comps (true) and that she has a chance in a final 2 with Alyssa (not really true). Alyssa then got Turner to promise her his vote by saying they won't be friends if he doesn't. He went to Monte and seemed genuinely mad about his conversation with Alyssa and is still on board with keeping Taylor. Turner has lied to Alyssa way more than he has to Monte in this game, but it makes a lot of sense for Turner's game to evict Taylor. Plus, Taylor has time to fix her relationship with Brittany and Brittany has gone off the reservation before only for Taylor to fix it, so who knows.

Also, Taylor and Monte had a three hour make out session this morning, but they aren't saying anything.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

Brittany/Alyssa's plan is to convince Turner to give Alyssa a "sympathy vote" so Monte will break the tie, but Brittany secretly voting the same way so Taylor goes home.

God I hope not.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

Aaaaand it didn't take. Brittany pulled Turner into the storage room and tried to convince him to give Alyssa the sympathy vote, then hosed up by saying "and I obviously will be voting Taylor out so Monte will be breaking a tie." Smooth. Bye Alyssa.

There are some pretty hilarious videos since last night of Brittany hustling to campaign or standing in the dark trying to eavesdrop.

https://twitter.com/IGIF_/status/1570344491432939520?s=20&t=MTT7yPe2yp4XaRXmd7TsHg

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's so funny to follow up the hard sell with the soft sell "sympathy vote" trick, which has literally never worked, certainly not in final five.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Lmao what is this music

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Good win for Taylor. Also good pay off for the finale dress debacle plot line from earlier this season, lol.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hilariously. Brittany is pretending that she voted to keep Taylor. So far, Taylor hasn't bothered calling her on it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Brittany is a remarkably bad player.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Early veto this morning, Monte won. Will be his decision about who goes this week between Brittany and Turner. I would think he would evict Brittany, but he has a few days.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I'm actually not sure what the smart move would be here. If Turner is in the final three, Turner and maybe Taylor would bring him to final 2 and he would definitely beat Turner and possibly beat Taylor in the jury vote (although the odds would be in Taylor's favor). If Brittany is in the final three, neither Brittany nor Taylor would bring him to the final 2, but he has a much better chance of winning the last HoH and he would certainly beat Brittany in the final vote.

However, hardly anyone has made pure game-logic moves this season, so it might come down to whether Monte wants to appease Taylor (who still wants to protect Brittany) or Turner.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

This veto comp is going terribly for Taylor, which is an equally terrible sign for the final HoH.

edit: Scratch that, looks like they're all bad at days.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

So Turner is going home now, right?