Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

i always liked the first movie more than part two. can’t say i care much for the de niro parts, except when he carves into the fat man like a roast turkey.

also rip james caan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
there's a cut that combines the two films in chronological order that's an interesting watch, i really enjoyed the bits in two where De Niro playing a young Vito takes over the neighborhood

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Leave da gun. Leave a comment, like and subscribe."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
De Niro is hot as hell in II.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BasicLich posted:

there's a cut that combines the two films in chronological order that's an interesting watch, i really enjoyed the bits in two where De Niro playing a young Vito takes over the neighborhood

Yup. That was "The Godfather Saga." It was presented as a TV miniseries. It's definitely worth checking out because it does include some scenes that weren't included in the original theatrical cuts. I have an older blu-ray set that has those extra scenes.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Like ‘em both, OP.

Like Goodfellas better’n both, though.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mmmmmm Coda or I, can’t decide.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I actually saw Part III in theaters when I was 11 years old. Then I saw it a couple more times on cable back in the day.

Haven’t seen it in years since then, but I could take it or leave it. I should revisit it.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
all i remember from the godfather is that cat fukkin loving godfather man during the dark office ask for a favor at the wedding scene

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Vegetable posted:

i always liked the first movie more than part two. can’t say i care much for the de niro parts, except when he carves into the fat man like a roast turkey.

also rip james caan

I really liked the first, second is your standard unnecessary sequel.

barmk ima dog lol
Apr 6, 2022
vs super saiyan godfather III

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I really liked the first, second is your standard unnecessary sequel.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i like the de niro parts of 2 better than the pacino parts personally. theyre from the original book. which is not as good as the movies but is worth reading, its a lot weirder and more detailed and has several plots that didnt make it into any movie.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

There was a tv show called The Offer about the development of Godfather 1 and its really quite good. Its surely dramatised to a good degree but its very enjoyable and has one really fun performance.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
They're both good, but the first one had a better ending.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Shin Godfather

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I liked the backstory from Godfather 2, but the first one was probably better.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Caesar Saladin posted:

There was a tv show called The Offer about the development of Godfather 1 and its really quite good. Its surely dramatised to a good degree but its very enjoyable and has one really fun performance.

It's practically brand new but yeah it's really good. When I found out the main character Producer Albert Ruddy went into film after working for the Rand corporation and successfully negotiated its completion while working hand-in-hand with the mob I got pretty :tinfoil: the Rand corp is one of those infamous places where the Agency likes to park its spooks and the relationship between the CIA and the Mafia during that era is well documented

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

abe vigoda

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Time to watch Rollerball again!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Earwicker posted:

i like the de niro parts of 2 better than the pacino parts personally. theyre from the original book. which is not as good as the movies but is worth reading, its a lot weirder and more detailed and has several plots that didnt make it into any movie.

Let this be the thread where someone discovers the godfather has an extended plot line focusing on Lucy's huge vagina

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I liked the godfather & knuckles best. Especially because you can interlock it with the godfather part 3 cartridge.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLzW56T3ts&t=83s

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Blow posted:

Time to watch Rollerball again!

Do a rollerball double feature.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

The second movie is more focused and has more meaty performances and i like depressing endings so i like 2 best

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I look at em like the Terminator, Alien, and Predator movies.. The second was better overall, but the first one was pretty loving good and ground breaking. The rest are all trash poo poo poop.

lmao Predator 2

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

bossy lady posted:

I liked the godfather & knuckles best. Especially because you can interlock it with the godfather part 3 cartridge.

You have not truly watched The Godfather until you've done so through a 32X expansion. Especially the added scene where Sonic passes by when Sonny gets shot up at the toll booth.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The book is so bad lol

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Philthy posted:

I look at em like the Terminator, Alien, and Predator movies.. The second was better overall, but the first one was pretty loving good and ground breaking. The rest are all trash poo poo poop.

lmao Predator 2

Predator 2 is loving awesome

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The first one was better because it had Pete Clemenza in it.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Ima drive a fuckin car to you Michael, I am Italian girl look at me I am driviiiiiing

Oh no who could have foreseen this

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The first one was better because it had Pete Clemenza in it.

So does the second :colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

spaceblancmange posted:

So does the second :colbert:

It ain't the same though.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
One of my first threads here on Something Awful was documenting my first impressions of the Godfathers (including live posting during Part III!). Good times, good times: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896228

I eventually came to the conclusion that the meat of the story was contained almost entirely in Part II. The first one is perhaps better made but is almost like some superfluous origin story for the Al Pacino character.

Edit: And by that I mean it almost feels like they made Part II first and then afterward made a prequel all about "how Michael Corleone became Michael Corleone!"

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 8, 2022

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Whichever has the take the canoli bit

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i havnt seen the movies but we listen to the ost's as a family at least once a month.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
I, too, prefer the first film.
Maybe the second is 'better', who knows, but I like the first one more.

Who gives a poo poo about Hyman Roth

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Robo Reagan posted:

all i remember from the godfather is that cat fukkin loving godfather man during the dark office ask for a favor at the wedding scene

That was a studio lot cat that the director threw on Brando's lap last minute. Probably to make Brando loving behave.

In checking to see if I remembered this right, I discovered that the cat was purring so loudly they had to loop Brando's lines. :3:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

both boring, just watch goodfellas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

You Are A Elf posted:

I actually saw Part III in theaters when I was 11 years old. Then I saw it a couple more times on cable back in the day.

Haven’t seen it in years since then, but I could take it or leave it. I should revisit it.

III really isn't all as bad as its reputation suggests but it's not great. The plot itself is solid but execution lacks.

Top three main issues are:

It has a cheap glossy patina and they don't even pretend to make it look like the '70s it takes place in. This was a problem a lot of movies in the late 80s-early 90s had when it came to period pieces.
Sofia Coppola really is awful in it, bless her heart
Ultimately its just an inessential entry in the series