Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

At the very least Abom seems to have a strong aversion to talking politics on his channel whatsoever. I need to catch back up on his stuff.

Unfortunately it seems to be all CNC all the time now. Which is totally understandable since his new workshop is set up that way, but it's not as interesting as it used to be. I should check out my backlog and see if I missed anything from his home shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

goon project, get travis pastrana into helicopters or light aircraft

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

At the very least Abom seems to have a strong aversion to talking politics on his channel whatsoever. I need to catch back up on his stuff.

That in itself is a cut above the usual fascist BS. They just can't *resist* talking about it. If he is a Righty he's smarter than most.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

big dong wanter posted:

goon project, get travis pastrana into off-piste skiing

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Darchangel posted:

That in itself is a cut above the usual fascist BS. They just can't *resist* talking about it. If he is a Righty he's smarter than most.
People have asked him if he supports Trump on FB live videos and he always responds with something like "I don't like talking about politics" and then just continues on with whatever he was doing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mr. Apollo posted:

People have asked him if he supports Trump on FB live videos and he always responds with something like "I don't like talking about politics" and then just continues on with whatever he was doing.

lmao, of course.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
On one hand, I can respect not wanting it to taint your work with unfortunate political beliefs. On the other hand, it's becoming a question that being on the fence about is becoming less acceptable by the day

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

On one hand, I can respect not wanting it to taint your work with unfortunate political beliefs. On the other hand, it's becoming a question that being on the fence about is becoming less acceptable by the day

Yeah, its a matter of 'you can't be a moderate in the face of fascists' but so many of these guys know they'll lose a significant chunk of viewers.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, its a matter of 'you can't be a moderate in the face of fascists' but so many of these guys know they'll lose a significant chunk of viewers.
It's the same thing with a lot of people who make videos about WW2. I was talking to an actual historian who specializes in WW2 a few years ago and he said he'd notice a small dip in subscribers whenever he posted a video about the myth of the "clean wehrmacht". He said it's unfortunate but he understands why a lot of people who rely on YouTube as their main source of income avoid topics that are controversial with "certain groups" because they'd lose a lot of their subscribers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Apollo posted:

It's the same thing with a lot of people who make videos about WW2. I was talking to an actual historian who specializes in WW2 a few years ago and he said he'd notice a small dip in subscribers whenever he posted a video about the myth of the "clean wehrmacht". He said it's unfortunate but he understands why a lot of people who rely on YouTube as their main source of income avoid topics that are controversial with "certain groups" because they'd lose a lot of their subscribers.

Yup, had the same issue - I'm a huge nut for German Tank design, and bringing it up in any sort of casual conversation can invite some unsavory characters.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mr. Apollo posted:

The libertarian pipeline

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Mr. Apollo posted:

It can get even weirder when modern political ideologies are laid over things that happened that long ago. There's a guy who just had awful takes on all of the historic content he posted, not clean wehrmacht bad, but drawing inexplicable conclusions that are detached from reality

Then I got a recommendation for his "defending my AnCap ideology" video and it all made sense. And I blocked his channel

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, had the same issue - I'm a huge nut for German Tank design, and bringing it up in any sort of casual conversation can invite some unsavory characters.

Guderian was a rare, randomly generated name to get for elves in Warhammer TW, and the devs removed it recently with a note apologizing for not noticing it and getting rid of it sooner. The amount of people screaming about the injustice against the "not a Nazi" who was responsible for entrenching Nazi ideologies into every layer of the wehrmacht was surreal. Of course he said he wasn't a Nazi once the war was over, Nazis were being hunted down and killed

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CommieGIR posted:

The (absolutely not a chud) Aging Wheels guy just posted a video talking about the flow on effects of posting a poorly received video.

It was in a different context (whether or not to re-upload a video he previously took down) but it was really interesting to see a creator speak frankly about how terrified they are of upsetting the algorithm.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Door Frame posted:

Guderian was a rare, randomly generated name to get for elves in Warhammer TW, and the devs removed it recently with a note apologizing for not noticing it and getting rid of it sooner. The amount of people screaming about the injustice against the "not a Nazi" who was responsible for entrenching Nazi ideologies into every layer of the wehrmacht was surreal. Of course he said he wasn't a Nazi once the war was over, Nazis were being hunted down and killed
Whenever people do that "technically not a nazi" thing. I just say something like "Well they did whatever they could to support the goals of the nazis so they obviously agreed with them, otherwise they would have resigned their position". I usually get a "you don't understand" type reply. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
"Albert Speer was actually a saint" people should be punched.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mr. Apollo posted:

Whenever people do that "technically not a nazi" thing. I just say something like "Well they did whatever they could to support the goals of the nazis so they obviously agreed with them, otherwise they would have resigned their position". I usually get a "you don't understand" type reply. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mr. Apollo posted:

He said it's unfortunate but he understands why a lot of people who rely on YouTube as their main source of income avoid topics that are controversial with "certain groups" because they'd lose a lot of their subscribers.

🤔🤔🤔

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
apropos of audience/income/rocking the boat chat, I’ll remind ppl to check out Squid Tips and Hello Road, two explicitly progressive channels that buck the trend of keeping their heads down or avoiding “controversial” topics or antagonism in a largely right-of-center hobby space

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

trilobite terror posted:

apropos of audience/income/rocking the boat chat, I’ll remind ppl to check out Squid Tips and Hello Road, two explicitly progressive channels that buck the trend of keeping their heads down or avoiding “controversial” topics or antagonism in a largely right-of-center hobby space

I have to mention, if you have people around that are *ahem* problematic about LGBTQTIA+ stuff, SquidTips video on how he came around is totally something to show them. He's not just a supporter, he's reformed.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Nerobro posted:

I have to mention, if you have people around that are *ahem* problematic about LGBTQTIA+ stuff, SquidTips video on how he came around is totally something to show them. He's not just a supporter, he's reformed.

https://youtu.be/V-6-aEzbJ0Y?si=EpnkSq6HUkWr3rfZ

Worth the watch

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Thanks for sharing that.

Also as a straight white male, thank you for making this the best automotive forum on the web. Y'all are awesome. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Thanks for sharing that.

Also as a straight white male, thank you for making this the best automotive forum on the web. Y'all are awesome. :hellyeah:

:same: