Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm not sure how well this will work or if it will keep much discussion for long but there has been discussion in AI about how utterly poo poo so many youtubers and industry figures / companies are, it seems like a decent idea to try out a thread similar in nature of TFR's "Racism, authoritarnism in the Firearms industry" - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894692&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1. I'm going to basically make this up as we go and the rules / guidelines can and probably will change.I have also fairly blatantly "borrowed" TFR's OP for now, again, this OP might get a full rewrite in the future or the thread rebooted once we get a good look at how this one goes. The scope isnt just with cars either, aeroplanes, boats, motorbikes etc are fair game

The simple reality is that there are some lovely, lovely things in the automotive industry. Not all owners are lovely, not all automotive companies anf mediapersonalities are lovely, not all automotive/aeronautical/nautical communities are lovely, but there is an unfortunately large number of them. Racists are a prominent example, and you see an unfortunate amount of dog-whistle advertising and youtubers being pretty blatant about being utterly poo poo. There are communities that revel in being alt-right shits and bootlickers, make a point in being toxic, women and transgender hating to boot.

How you approach these issues as a automotive enthusist is a matter of personal choice. There are plenty of youtubers, automotive companies and personalities out there that are good people and well run, however they are the minority and this thread will seek to give everyone a full eyes wide open so you can choose to follow or buy from. This thread is going to be a place to discuss these issues and provide an easy resource that people can point to if they want to say that something is pretty loving awful.

Thread Rules:

1) Support any claims you make. It's not enough to say that a company is a bunch of racist, bigoted, assholes. Provide all the evidence you can muster. Make an effort post. You're building a case for why people should be aware of what they're doing. Note that this goes both ways. If you want to push back on someone's claim (see rule 3) do so with some actual effort.

2) Spell out very clearly why you think they're lovely. State the obvious. "Chud Enterprises used a recognizable symbol of a genocidal, anti-semetic regime to sell their product or feature said in their videos and when called on it doubled down" with included pictures of that sticker and their response to criticism, for example.

3) Be prepared for push back on it. Note that this doesn't make the poster who is pushing back an awful person themselves. Maybe you think that having a line of thin blue line gear makes them awful, maybe someone else doesn't. If it's not outright racism chances are it's not as clear cut as you might think.

4) Understand that we are not here to solve anything. You're not going to convince the internet or put them out of business. This is a resource. If someone reads your thoughts what they're doing and also thinks it's lovely, they won't buy there. There is no argument to be won here. If someone says "you shouldn't support this company because they donated to the RNC and I hate the republican party" we don't need a five page argument about that.

5) Avoid purity tests and witch hunts. There are plenty of big fish out there to fry without looking for the bad social media post made by the third cousin of the ex-wife of the CFO of Holley. That example is hyperbole, but it's patterns of behavior not one off incidents that should raise the most eyebrows.

6) THIS IS NOT HELLDUMP. I can NOT emphasis that enough DO. NOT. HELLDUMP. Do NOT doxx. There will be consequences.

7) There are going to be political issues in here. This is not, however, general political chat. Don't throw up the latest dumb tweet or social media post. I kinda get ths thread may wander off into political areas we'll.... see how it goes.

8) If this thread isn't something you want, something you like, or if you don't like the discussion happening in it then refrain from posting in it. There's no rule that you have to read and participate in every thread in AI. If the only thing you care about with Automotive companies or youtubers, for example, is how well the gear works or their videos are otherwise technical and informativethen fine. That's your decision and you can keep spending your money or use your time as you choose.

9) A suggestion if you post about something is give it a bootlicker rating. One for minor problem to 5 for full blown neo-nazi piece of poo poo. Or that may not be a good idea?

-----

As already said, this has been a lot of copy/paste from TFR's thread and I think a lot of the issues are fairly common so it seems a good place to start. This is also a idea that I'm not sure how it'll work or even if it will work. So as TFR's mod said

quote:

I hope this works. Please don't make it lovely. We need this to be a resource, not a pit fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Also.... yes this absolutly IS a place to dump poo poo about Elon Musk. Unlike the EV thread, there is no Muskchat ban here. Just dont turn this into Muskchat 24/7?

As well, I highly recommend having a read through TFR's thread, it's a pretty drat good resource for their hobby and industry

----

Mustie1 (4 bootlicks)

Claims the election was stolen in a now deleted rant, Claims that his covid cured by horse drugs

Freddy Hernandez aka Tavarish runs or ran a right wing site "Yes I'm Right" (5 bootlicks)

Runs a right wing website as eluded to here - https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/craigsilverman/inside-the-partisan-fight-for-your-news-feed
Registered to him - https://www.flcompanyregistry.com/director/HERNANDEZ,+FREDDY+A/ https://www.flcompanyregistry.com/companies/yes-i-m-right-llc/

---- more to be added ---

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 17, 2022

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Freddy Hernandez aka Tavarish runs or ran a right wing site "Yes I'm Right"

Runs a right wing website as eluded to here - https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/craigsilverman/inside-the-partisan-fight-for-your-news-feed
Registered to him - https://www.flcompanyregistry.com/director/HERNANDEZ,+FREDDY+A/ https://www.flcompanyregistry.com/companies/yes-i-m-right-llc/

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 9, 2022

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm not going to like reading this thread.

It's a good idea, though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This was tweeted out on the day of Putin announcing a full scale invasion of Ukraine. Subsequently blocked anyone going "whoa, bit weird for a racing company guys"

Money over everything disaster capitalism scumbaggery is everything wrong with the world.

https://twitter.com/Glickenhaus/status/1496955029361725445?t=DDKOe858FECo6n-Cgnu6MQ&s=19

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ngl, I wouldn’t be shocked if that whole Tavarish—Hoovie circle of dudes wasn’t like all massively right wing

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm really hoping Pastrana's support of Black Rifle Coffee is just "Hey that's a veteran thing, I'll support that/I'll take their money" rather than "Those guys are dead on in their political beliefs"

In short:

sharkytm posted:

I'm not going to like reading this thread.

It's a good idea, though.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 8, 2022

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Uncle Tony is an old Automotive Journalist and hot rodder who just has some pretty lovely views and likes to spout them unpressured on his channel about cars, example https://youtu.be/zNeP-4EbOV8

This is a video where he rants about how NYC does things like confiscates illegal, non DOT approved,unregistered small motor scooters and bikes some of which were used in drive by purse snatching and crushes them. Bonus points for a rant about how safe injection sites are “spending tax money so junkies can shoot up”. General bigoted and selfish opinions from a small minded man.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BigPaddy posted:

Uncle Tony is an old Automotive Journalist and hot rodder who just has some pretty lovely views and likes to spout them unpressured on his channel about cars, example https://youtu.be/zNeP-4EbOV8

Misread that as "This Old Tony" for a second and got concerned.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ok Comboomer posted:

ngl, I wouldn’t be shocked if that whole Tavarish—Hoovie circle of dudes wasn’t like all massively right wing

I'm glad I unfollowed them all a while ago.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

:same:
PHEW

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Elviscat posted:

Me too.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This was tweeted out on the day of Putin announcing a full scale invasion of Ukraine. Subsequently blocked anyone going "whoa, bit weird for a racing company guys"

Money over everything disaster capitalism scumbaggery is everything wrong with the world.

https://twitter.com/Glickenhaus/status/1496955029361725445?t=DDKOe858FECo6n-Cgnu6MQ&s=19

The gently caress.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Ok Comboomer posted:

Hoovie tweeted this:
https://twitter.com/HooviesGarage/status/1360813795648692228?s=20&t=BQw53ELyuEtK_kpoOO0d5g

So I guess not "massively" right wing but still goes slightly that way.

I'm currently still subscribed but he's gonna be one of the first to go.

Someone needs to do an effort post about Richard from BOM/Project Binky who is also a bit of a twat and you might not want to give him your money or views.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
he kind of hit it in one there

it makes him loving dumb

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tomarse posted:

Someone needs to do an effort post about Richard from BOM/Project Binky who is also a bit of a twat and you might not want to give him your money or views.

https://twitter.com/richardbrunning/status/1461797728443371520

Richard at least sees nothing wrong with a near-child traveling interstate to go murder protesters.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elon Musk is a dillhole

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tomarse posted:

Hoovie tweeted this:
https://twitter.com/HooviesGarage/status/1360813795648692228?s=20&t=BQw53ELyuEtK_kpoOO0d5g

So I guess not "massively" right wing but still goes slightly that way.

I'm currently still subscribed but he's gonna be one of the first to go.

Kinda what I guessed based on his love of the Border Control Raptor, not wearing a mask, etc. But I'll respect that he can admit things

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

It’s a fine line to read between the results of a foreign manipulation campaign and a true disgusting human.

Please tell me the MCM folks are good. If not, I’m gonna quit the internet (other than SA).

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I believe that a lot of people voted for Trump in 2016 as a protest against Clinton as they didn’t think he had a chance and in doing so Brexited themselves. The day after the Brexit vote and the results started coming in there was a lot of people saying they voted to leave as a protest against Cameron.

Anyone who says they voted for Trump in 2016 and admits it was a mistake I will give a pass too. People who voted for him twice can get hosed as it means they agreed with all the terrible poo poo he did.

As for Marty and Moog, I know they do a lot of charity and community work. I do not have any knowledge of them being a bunch of bogans.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Please tell me the MCM folks are good. If not, I’m gonna quit the internet (other than SA).

Yes they are. AI goons know them personally.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The one that honestly surprised me - in the good column - is Matt Farah. I would've figured a white male Youtuber who primarily focuses on luxury vehicles, has sponsorships from luxury lifestyle brands, and built a bougie parking garage in the middle of LA as being chud all the way down.

He's come a long way in the form of recognizing how his privilege is a big part of why he's where he is, owning problematic things he's said in the past, and doing better as he goes forward.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BigPaddy posted:

I believe that a lot of people voted for Trump in 2016 as a protest against Clinton as they didn’t think he had a chance and in doing so Brexited themselves. The day after the Brexit vote and the results started coming in there was a lot of people saying they voted to leave as a protest against Cameron.

Anyone who says they voted for Trump in 2016 and admits it was a mistake I will give a pass too. People who voted for him twice can get hosed as it means they agreed with all the terrible poo poo he did.

As for Marty and Moog, I know they do a lot of charity and community work. I do not have any knowledge of them being a bunch of bogans.

Yeah, the Democrats shot themselves in the foot with that one. They picked the most unlikable candidate they could find, at least as far as a *lot* of folks were concerned. Hard agree on the 2-timers, though. I very nearly voted Trump, at least early in the campaign wanted to, just for the LOL factor, "something different," but then he started talking about what he wanted to do and, nah, I ain't havin' that on my conscience.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh, good. That's a relief.
Now if we could just get Moog to pronounce "kei" properly.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thank goodness. I’d hate to get rid of my chopped swag and my “my car goes pshhh” shirt.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The one that honestly surprised me - in the good column - is Matt Farah. I would've figured a white male Youtuber who primarily focuses on luxury vehicles, has sponsorships from luxury lifestyle brands, and built a bougie parking garage in the middle of LA as being chud all the way down.

He's come a long way in the form of recognizing how his privilege is a big part of why he's where he is, owning problematic things he's said in the past, and doing better as he goes forward.

Agreed. Sets a great example, and doesn’t seem to be afraid to tell his chud fans where to stick it.

I have a suspicion that Jason Cammisa is no longer with Motor Trend for Lieberman reasons. Hopefully it’s for normal reasons and not chudly reasons.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I have a suspicion that Jason Cammisa is no longer with Motor Trend for Lieberman reasons. Hopefully it’s for normal reasons and not chudly reasons.

The most political tweets I can find from him are one with a Der Spiegel cover making fun of Trump and another one reminding people to just vote for Biden so... at least not horribly problematic.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

The most political tweets I can find from him are one with a Der Spiegel cover making fun of Trump and another one reminding people to just vote for Biden so... at least not horribly problematic.

Good good. He seems a bit abrasive but I haven’t noticed that he’s overtly lovely + he keeps good company.

Do we know anything about Finnegan or any of the other folks from Roadkill? I like them but their topic + locations make me wonder if bad influence has wormed into their brains.

Edit:// I hope this doesn’t turn into me asking about content creators I like, but I’ve been wondering the same thing for like a year now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Good good. He seems a bit abrasive but I haven’t noticed that he’s overtly lovely + he keeps good company.

Do we know anything about Finnegan or any of the other folks from Roadkill? I like them but their topic + locations make me wonder if bad influence has wormed into their brains.

Edit:// I hope this doesn’t turn into me asking about content creators I like, but I’ve been wondering the same thing for like a year now.

Finnegan is good friends with the Florida idiots, but tries to stay apolitical in his content.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

1) Support any claims you make.

2) Spell out very clearly why you think they're lovely. State the obvious

5) Avoid purity tests and witch hunts.

I think these are very important to remember and while the thread is very new there's a few posts that kinda skate the line a little for me. I mean it's up to you if you don't want to watch someone because they voted right (Hoovie) but that's getting pretty close to a purity test. Matt Farrah another good example, you can find quotes of him on his podcast saying nice things about the cops he's worked with shutting down roads for filming - that doesn't make him a bootlicker. Thin Blue Line poo poo? That's a different story. Being wealthy and white like Matt doesn't make you a chud. Being a strongly opinionated journo like Camissa doesn't either. gently caress, I'll even give Cleetus a *very slight* pass over putting events on during a pandemic, because he lives in a state where the govt and media was telling everyone it's fine, we're open for business, go ahead and put events on. There's plenty of way more lovely stuff he's done.

Let's stick to provable chud/lovely behaviour, and also avoid just speculating or throwing names out. If they're lovely, they'll come up. Edit: I shouldn't have to say this, but also it shouldn't be a "that dude is annoying" thing either. Plenty of people don't like Demuro's style. That's fine. This shouldn't be the place for that.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 9, 2022

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I am 50/50 on nominating the following. Let me know if I'm off base here.
1st nomination: Ziptiesnbiasplies
Offense: 2022 Freedom Convoy (Covid Denying), racism, sexism., etc.
Evidence: As of recent, all his Freedom Convoy videos have been removed by Youtube. He speaks of it here at the start of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g95V45V7fk

2nd nomination: AvE
Offense: Where do you start. I think the C*Hair ruler was the last thing I watched before dumping his channel. Freedom Convoy, racism, etc.
Evidence: YouTube channel

3rd nomination: Chucke2009
Offense: Red-Pilled his YouTube audience. Racism, Nazi/White Supremisist
Evidence: Removed from YouTube. New channel is Official Welding and Farming Archive.

I would also place WranglerStar and Stephen Cox in the same realm.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

https://twitter.com/MonaSalama_/status/1545540887622701057?s=20&t=l3Q1iBICuq8uD5BvSAtmeA

https://twitter.com/adetolaov/status/1545531993953271808?s=20&t=l3Q1iBICuq8uD5BvSAtmeA

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Car people are pretty close to gun people in terms of me assuming that they're right wing and at best not talking about it unless proven otherwise. I just hope that Vice Grip Garage and Junkyard Digs don't milkshake duck, revival videos are my favorite. The only thing I heard from Junkyard Digs that's questionable is Kevin saying that he felt like he was going to get stabbed when he was in LA but thanks to general media coverage people from the country get the impression that anywhere in the city is a dangerous crime-ridden hellhole just like people from the city get convinced that anywhere outside of a city is a sundown town.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Elon Musk is a gigantic sack of wildebeest poo poo and I fully expect him to try to hit Twitter HQ with his stupid starship rocket thing. Like I guarantee he's loving thought of it.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Car people are pretty close to gun people in terms of me assuming that they're right wing and at best not talking about it unless proven otherwise.

This 100%

Like, I'm a NC redneck by way of WV and "my people" are all racist/homophobic/antivax to one degree or another. Having conversations with family and neighbors can be trying and I push back when the opportunity presents itself but most of the time I just let them have their opinion because in the end they aren't antagonizing or marching on the capital.

It's super loving frustrating

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Vice Grip Garage

All I can say here is one episode where he was at his brother's place there was an Infowars sticker fairly prominent in the garage. But as well-described in the OP this definitely isn't enough to condemn. Made me generally less interested though...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Cleetus McFarland is a gigantic shithead if anyone was wondering. Big get-together during COVID which turned into a super spreader event, plus numerous dog whistles in his videos.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sharkytm posted:

Cleetus McFarland is a gigantic shithead if anyone was wondering. Big get-together during COVID which turned into a super spreader event, plus numerous dog whistles in his videos.

Yeah, I was a big Cleetus fan at first, but man, he showed pure chud core during covid. gently caress him.

I really like the guy that's on I Do Cars. If I find out he's a chud, I'm gonna be bummed.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm really hoping Pastrana's support of Black Rifle Coffee is just "Hey that's a veteran thing, I'll support that/I'll take their money" rather than "Those guys are dead on in their political beliefs"

Same. I'm not a huge car guy but I dig what Pastrana has been doing. Has anyone approached him on social media about Black Rifle Coffee?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Same. I'm not a huge car guy but I dig what Pastrana has been doing. Has anyone approached him on social media about Black Rifle Coffee?

Not social media but I'll probably see him friday/saturday next week (NEFR) and I'll ask. But I'm gonna guess he has no idea what any of you think about it because his job is to race cars and somebody else job is to make sure they get paid to do that.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'll give the caveat that I've been a Pastrana fan for a long time, but I noticed something in the background of the last Nitro Circus movie I watched (Action Figures 2). It's free on Crackle if you want to look yourself. 53:25. (I had to take a picture with my phone since any screenshot was blank).

That's some big concrete blocks with #THEGREATWALLOFTRUMP spray painted on them, at the Pastranaland ranch. A few seconds later, another angle shows those blocks again but with a sheet over TRUMP.

I'll let you make your own judgements from that. Maybe it was to make fun of Trump's border wall, rather than support it. I wouldn't think Subaru would keep sponsoring him if he were a big chud (based on their LGBTQ advertising), and this was filmed 4 years ago. But I think it's worth pointing out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

meatpimp posted:

I really like the guy that's on I Do Cars.

He's pretty cute too. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Finnegan is good friends with the Florida idiots, but tries to stay apolitical in his content.

Finnegan is an anti-mask shithead unfortunately. The reason he stays apolitical is because he got called out hard on it.

Not sure about Freiburger, he keeps his politics out of his content by and large, but he's a middle-aged man who chain-smokes cigars and told everyone following him on Instagram to go read the Declaration of Independence on the 4th; read into that what you will. Not too sure on the rest of that group either, except Tony Angelo seems like a good guy pretty unequivocally.

E: On the other side of things, Jonny Lieberman is like, wildly socialist, and also a pretty decent - if a little abrasive at times - guy.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 13, 2022