Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

there's gotta be a hammer and sickle hand gesture of some sort doesn't there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Last night I purchased a little sticker of a frog holding a pride flag to stick on my window and I blast a lot of Kim Petras

E: oh man, in person, not in cars? Ask how many hectares you can get on a single tank of kerosene

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 14, 2023

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have a Bernie sticker next to a "fine, Biden 2020. But this is BULLSHIT" sticker and it took my most deplorable neighbor like ten visits to notice it, which is pretty funny.

I'd love to not ever see people like that ever, but there are only like 10 houses on our 1+mile street and he keeps inviting himself over. I haven't seen him since then now that I think about it...

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

there's gotta be a hammer and sickle hand gesture of some sort doesn't there

gently caress tankies. I aint associating with tankies.

Also, overtly political poo poo on your car is just asking for trouble. Especially if it's in opposition to chuds.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dick Burglar posted:

lol

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Dick Burglar posted:

Also, overtly political poo poo on your car is just asking for trouble. Especially if it's in opposition to chuds.

Lol I love the word tankie. Anyone using it you know is an internet poisoned, status quo loving lib who’s opinions can be safely ignored. It’s like woke for chuds, no one using it can define it and it’s scary!

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 15, 2023

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I assume it means someone who commands a WWII tank with the ghost of 19th-century Confederate general J. E. B. Stuart, who is sent by the spirit of Alexander the Great to act as a guardian over his two namesakes, Lieutenant Jeb Stuart (named Jeb Stuart Smith in the early stories, eventually shortened to Jeb Stuart) and the M3 Stuart he commands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunted_Tank

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Large Testicles posted:

Lol I love the word tankie. Anyone using it you know is an internet poisoned, status quo loving lib who’s opinions can be safely ignored. It’s like woke for chuds, no one using it can define it and it’s scary!

If you are using it as shorthand to describe a set of very pathetic Chinese /Russian authoritarian bootlickers who go out of their way with the AMERICA BAD and try to excuse the very real human rights abuses, genocide and current war of said authoritarian regimes, thats probably good enough.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Large Testicles posted:

:lmao: sure buddy, sure

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If you are using it as shorthand to describe a set of very pathetic Chinese /Russian authoritarian bootlickers who go out of their way with the AMERICA BAD and try to excuse the very real human rights abuses, genocide and current war of said authoritarian regimes, thats probably good enough.

so it's anybody making an argument that NATO shills hate. cool cool

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Dick Burglar posted:

:lmao: sure buddy, sure

and i'm laughing at you immediately associating the hammer and sickle with being a "tankie" rather than what it actually stands for

like i said, internet poisoned, safely ignored

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Large Testicles posted:

and i'm laughing at you immediately associating the hammer and sickle with being a "tankie" rather than what it actually stands for

shut up, tankie, didn’t you know that there are dictators abroad?

that’s why America should keep on empire building with impunity like it’s 1950 and don’t you dare have a problem with that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

that’s why America should keep on empire building with impunity like it’s 1950 and don’t you dare have a problem with that

Ok Comboomer

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Large Testicles posted:

next youll post about how the swastika was a hindi symbol of good luck for a thousand years

Ok Comboomer posted:

anyone opposed to authoritarian soviets is clearly in favor of western empire, hmm yes youve got it all figured out, champ

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

next youll post about how the swastika was a hindi symbol of good luck for a thousand years

anyone opposed to authoritarian soviets is clearly in favor of western empire, hmm yes youve got it all figured out, champ

based on the meltdown that got you run out of TFR I don’t think you’re particularly savvy at making or interpreting nuanced geo-sociopolitical arguments, no

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Dick Burglar posted:

motherfucker are you trying to call me a nazi sympathizer?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I really hate moderating discussions Ive said something in but for fucks saaaaake enough of this.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
sorry i asked

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

Purely hypothetical question here since none of us go outside, but how would one signal to other leftist car folks IRL for the purpose of being buds, other than driving a Miata?

Something like this?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Would drive

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.outmotorsports.com/

If you're in the midwest, this seems like a fun group that frequently hosts events. The founder was on the Smoking Tire podcast earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10KOxw6NUO4

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Same, just... not in Alabama.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

I have a Bernie sticker next to a "fine, Biden 2020. But this is BULLSHIT" sticker and it took my most deplorable neighbor like ten visits to notice it, which is pretty funny.

I'd love to not ever see people like that ever, but there are only like 10 houses on our 1+mile street and he keeps inviting himself over. I haven't seen him since then now that I think about it...

I don't put stickers like that on my car because I don't want to have that conversation, especially with strangers, because boy howdy, do chuds really want to tell you about how wrong-headed you are, unsolicited.
My social anxiety is bad enough already.

Dick Burglar posted:

Bingo.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Something like this?

Oof, I remember that episode. They *really* underestimated the reaction they'd get.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Darchangel posted:

I don't put stickers like that on my car because I don't want to have that conversation, especially with strangers, because boy howdy, do chuds really want to tell you about how wrong-headed you are, unsolicited.

if there's one thing I've learned from years of driving gig economy jobs it's that you want the most anonymous car possible, and you definitely don't want to put remotely political poo poo on your car

I bought my old CR-V from my Slate lib sister and it had a few pop feminism/#resist stickers on it, and you wouldn't believe the number of north shore thumb guys that would follow me, sometimes for miles, in most cases (thankfully) peeling away when they caught a glimpse of my shaved head + beard mug when they (I assume) expected a woman they could more comfortably yell at and menace

had a few moments that felt enough like close calls that I heat gunned off the more overt ones within a few weeks. Still got my share of negative truck guy attention for a simple/subtle women's lib one that I left on until I totaled the poor beast

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 21, 2023

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Oof, I remember that episode. They *really* underestimated the reaction they'd get.

And to think, a two-minute conversation with Jeremy and they would have found that they agree on most things.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

if there's one thing I've learned from years of driving gig economy jobs it's that you want the most anonymous car possible, and you definitely don't want to put remotely political poo poo on your car

I bought my old CR-V from my Slate lib sister and it had a few pop feminism/#resist stickers on it, and you wouldn't believe the number of north shore thumb guys that would follow me, sometimes for miles, in most cases (thankfully) peeling away when they caught a glimpse of my shaved head + beard mug when they (I assume) expected a woman they could more comfortably yell at and menace

had a few moments that felt enough like close calls that I heat gunned off the more overt ones within a few weeks. Still got my share of negative truck guy attention for a simple/subtle women's lib one that I left on until I totaled the poor beast

Ugh. Kinda hate living some days, much less living here.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

And to think, a two-minute conversation with Jeremy and they would have found that they agree on most things.

Yeah, disappointing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Darchangel posted:

Oh gently caress, I don't put bumper stickers on my cars in general, but when they put a charger in at my local grocery store, every* greybeard gently caress in the area used it as an excuse to talk to me about owning an electric car, that somehow went from me talking about how much I loved it to "it sure is silly California's mandating them while they're having rolling brownouts! Hurrrfff durrrff huuuurr." I haven't had that much unwanted attention from old men since I rode a motorcycle to work in uniform every day, and got regaled with "I hadda one of them crotch rockets** when I was your age, did 250MPH on it one time and then realized I'd kill myself if I didn't sell it!"

*TBF, a few were genuinely curious, and we had nice conversations about range and charging and other EV stuff you don't see in magazines.

**An FZ6, outfitted for touring, is not a "crotch rocket" you stupid loving boomer.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Generally when I'm out on the Zero people are curious and sometimes excited, but you'll definitely get the crazies who see an EV and decide to unload their brain worms on you. The last one made it about 4 sentences before he invoked Soros. Always fun predicting which it'll be when one comes ambling up to me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

Oh gently caress, I don't put bumper stickers on my cars in general, but when they put a charger in at my local grocery store, every* greybeard gently caress in the area used it as an excuse to talk to me about owning an electric car, that somehow went from me talking about how much I loved it to "it sure is silly California's mandating them while they're having rolling brownouts! Hurrrfff durrrff huuuurr." I haven't had that much unwanted attention from old men since I rode a motorcycle to work in uniform every day, and got regaled with "I hadda one of them crotch rockets** when I was your age, did 250MPH on it one time and then realized I'd kill myself if I didn't sell it!"

*TBF, a few were genuinely curious, and we had nice conversations about range and charging and other EV stuff you don't see in magazines.

**An FZ6, outfitted for touring, is not a "crotch rocket" you stupid loving boomer.

Its one of those "The worst guy you know makes a great point" about California's rolling brownouts and their anti-nuclear stance, because to be blunt they are not wrong: adding hundreds of EV loads to the grid isn't a great idea given such.

But gently caress the assholes in the automotive world who hate on electric cars, even if they are not actually a great solution versus mass transit and rail. Electric cars are fun.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

Its one of those "The worst guy you know makes a great point" about California's rolling brownouts and their anti-nuclear stance, because to be blunt they are not wrong: adding hundreds of EV loads to the grid isn't a great idea given such.

But gently caress the assholes in the automotive world who hate on electric cars, even if they are not actually a great solution versus mass transit and rail. Electric cars are fun.

i dont hate em, i just dont like em. especially with the whole self driving poo poo tesla is doing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Large Testicles posted:

i dont hate em, i just dont like em. especially with the whole self driving poo poo tesla is doing

Oh fully agree - self-driving is absolutely moronic and needs to be mandated out of existence by the NHTSA. Also - gently caress Tesla and their lovely build quality and white supremacist CEO.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

99% of the time it’s just a fig leaf on boring old climate denialism, they’re not actually interested in pursuing any better alternatives or even carving out a future where interested people can still hold onto gas cars for fun or preservation purposes by coming to the table in any meaningful way

the idea that a robust public transit system might benefit car enthusiasts in any single way, let alone several, doesn’t even begin to cross their mind, because their only idea of any solution to anything is rolling the policy clock back thirty five years

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

99% of the time it’s just a fig leaf on boring old climate denialism, they’re not actually interested in pursuing any better alternatives or even carving out a future where interested people can still hold onto gas cars for fun or preservation purposes by coming to the table in any meaningful way

the idea that a robust public transit system might benefit car enthusiasts in any single way, let alone several, doesn’t even begin to cross their mind, because their only idea of any solution to anything is rolling the policy clock back thirty five years

Oh, I'm aware. Doesn't mean that particular point is wrong. Hence the 'worst guy you know makes a great point' thing.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's more energy efficient to burn tons of coal in a massive power plant than burn mL's of gasoline in an ICE so I guess it evens out in the end. I don't mind if finding a gas station is like finding a kerosene pump in the future and gas is $19 a gallon, I just want to hear my engine make noise while I drive my garage queen

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, I'm aware. Doesn't mean that particular point is wrong. Hence the 'worst guy you know makes a great point' thing.

"You're not wrong, you're just an rear end in a top hat"
I feel like I get that response a lot...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Oh fully agree - self-driving is absolutely moronic and needs to be mandated out of existence by the NHTSA. Also - gently caress Tesla and their lovely build quality and white supremacist CEO.

I’m sort of shocked the board at Tesla hasn’t ousted musk yet. The value his name brings has to have tanked, and he’s clearly making the dumbest or most racist decisions at every possible turn

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

It's more energy efficient to burn tons of coal in a massive power plant than burn mL's of gasoline in an ICE so I guess it evens out in the end. I don't mind if finding a gas station is like finding a kerosene pump in the future and gas is $19 a gallon, I just want to hear my engine make noise while I drive my garage queen

The problem is we need to stop doing both (at least stopping gas as the primary fuel of the road at least), and California falling back on Natural Gas as their main energy and shuttering good nuclear plants has been a massive boondoggle.

But yeah adopting Mass Transit would go a long way to making roads more enjoyable for leisure drivers.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I’m sort of shocked the board at Tesla hasn’t ousted musk yet. The value his name brings has to have tanked, and he’s clearly making the dumbest or most racist decisions at every possible turn

He's entrenched himself like a tick unfortunately, and I don't know how loyal or disloyal the board is to him.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

With VTL and time of use charging, EVs could actually help stabilize California's electric grid. They need to nationalize PG&E anyways. The loving hippies need to start demanding nuclear power instead of fighting it too, though CA is possibly one of the worst places in the world to build nuke plants, you can build them elsewhere and truck the power in.

Mass transit is the way forward, but using myself as an example, in 5 years I'll be able to take the train to work, for now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

The problem is we need to stop doing both (at least stopping gas as the primary fuel of the road at least), and California falling back on Natural Gas as their main energy and shuttering good nuclear plants has been a massive boondoggle.

But yeah adopting Mass Transit would go a long way to making roads more enjoyable for leisure drivers.

He's entrenched himself like a tick unfortunately, and I don't know how loyal or disloyal the board is to him.

Aren’t most of the top voting shareholders loyalists and family members?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

"You're not wrong, you're just an rear end in a top hat"
I feel like I get that response a lot...

Well, yeah, that's a partial solution to pollution, but it does nothing for the "too loving many personal vehicles on the road at one time" problem that afflicts any major city, and the LA area in particular.

CommieGIR posted:

Exactly!

and yeah, Elon is not only a racist, fascist piece of poo poo, he's also a fuckwit. Very much not the smartest guy in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Exporting pollution to other places via EVs has worked well for a lot of cities, LA included. In 2001, you could clearly see the hills north of the Valley about 10% of the time you came over the Sepulveda pass, now it's 9.5/10 days it's clear and lovely. Sunset intensity is decreased.